Upcoming DVD releases

AshC

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well luckily when I heard about Silvervision's contract soming to an end it was the week I got paid so I went on a spending spree on Blu Rays and DVDs on their site, the Punk set was the reason I got a Blu Ray in the first place just so that I could get the extra content but when I realised I may not be able to get hold of the DVD version later on or it may be difficult to I ordered both as the Blu Ray is in my room but if I wanted to watch it anywhere else the DVD would be the only one I could watch plus the fact of the artwork in the box.

Got the DVD in the post this morning but won't be watching it yet as I want to have a good sit down and relax watching it and coming in from work at 10pm, watching the recording of the Man City match and now it's 12pm I don't think it'd be the best time to watch something I've been looking so forward to for a long time. The artwork for the DVD box is really cool though, love the quote on the inside cover from Punk's speech on being the best in the world. Goes nicely on my shelf with my Best of Punk in Full Impact Pro, ROH Punk: The Final Chapter and ROH The Summer of Punk.

• Paid Members

Downloaded the Punk DVD a while ago and just watched the documentary,which was excellent.

Hayes and HHH were particularly candid.

Pity Miz showed up as a talking head though.

I bet Miz was wishing he hadn't bothered when discussion of WrestleMania 27 came around!

I loved it, the documentary totally lives up to all the hype.

Favourite bits ...

SPOILER - Highlight the black box to read

Heyman is his usual enthusiastic self when gushing over how much potential Punk had when they worked together in OVW, and couldn't work out why the people in charge at WWE didn't see it. Then the same again when he was in the new ECW. They came up with a plan for the December To Dismember ppv where Punk & Big Show would be the first two in the match and right before the 5 minutes were up and a third guy was going to enter, Punk would make Big Show tap to the Anaconda Vice. It builds anticipation knowing there will be a new Champion crowned, Punk & his finisher get over, then Lashley can still win the match.

Cut to Michael Hayes who outright says he hated the idea and they needed to have Lashley be the man who gets over in that match, it wasn't Punk's time.

The Miz pops up with some talking head bits, mostly about Punk's time in OVW. It is all complimentary, but I bet he wishes he hadn't bothered after Punk reveals that his reason for wanting to quit in 2011 is that they put The Miz in the WrestleMania main event. He doesn't even do the "No disrespect to Miz, but ..." he just rants about how much of a better heel he was at that time than Miz and he was dumbfounded at how this happened.

The cover the specific timescale of his leaving/staying angle around MITB2011 and amazingly he still hadn't made his mind up as that ppv went on the air. He said he had talks with Vince that day and after Vince admitted "You've got me over a barrel" he made an offer that Punk accepted and signed a new contract during that MITB show.

They go into way more detail than expected on his pre-WWE career. Obviously they talk about the places he worked, but actually get into his feud with Hero in IWA:MS and his feud with Samoa Joe in ROH.

Curt Hawkins had some interesting comments, he had a good story about meeting Punk and getting his autograph at a ROH show.

Word got out during production that Punk wanted to be hands-on in how it was made, so it didn't follow the usual WWE documentary style. The Punk Rock music made a pleasant change, and some talking heads never used in previous documentaries was great. No Steve Lombardi! :thumbsup:

Talking heads:

His adopted sisters and mum, ex-girlfriend, Colt Cabana, Ace Steel, Lita, Paul Heyman, Michael Hayes, Lars Frederikson (from 'Rancid'), Kofi Kingston, Curt Hawkins, Scott Armstrong, Chris Hero (named Chris Hero, not Kassius Ohno), William Regal, Zack Ryder, John Cena, The Miz, Triple H. I might have forgotten about a few others.

Favourite line is from one of the unused interviews that are added as extras on the set. They show a few people explaining first impressions from when they first met CM Punk:

"The first time I saw him I thought 'you scruffy swine'. The best place to hide anything from him is under the soap" - William Regal.

Just finished watching the Punk bluray and yeah, wow, has to be my favourite WWE dvd/bluray ever, you can see Punk had control over it and anyone trying to decide over the DVD or bluray, if you have a bluray player get the bluray, the extras on bluray are really cool.

I bet Miz was wishing he hadn't bothered when discussion of WrestleMania 27 came around!

I loved it, the documentary totally lives up to all the hype.

Add another voice to the praise the CM Punk documentary is getting. One of the best documentaries put out by the WWE.

Favourite bits ...

SPOILER - Highlight the black box to read

The cover the specific timescale of his leaving/staying angle around MITB2011 and amazingly he still hadn't made his mind up as that ppv went on the air. He said he had talks with Vince that day and after Vince admitted "You've got me over a barrel" he made an offer that Punk accepted and signed a new contract during that MITB show.

They go into way more detail than expected on his pre-WWE career. Obviously they talk about the places he worked, but actually get into his feud with Hero in IWA:MS and his feud with Samoa Joe in ROH.

His adopted sisters and mum, ex-girlfriend, Colt Cabana, Ace Steel, Lita, Paul Heyman, Michael Hayes, Lars Frederikson (from 'Rancid'), Kofi Kingston, Curt Hawkins, Scott Armstrong, Chris Hero (named Chris Hero, not Kassius Ohno), William Regal, Zack Ryder, John Cena, The Miz, Triple H. I might have forgotten about a few others.

<-- click on 'spoiler' to show/hide the spoiler

Knowing Punk was discussing a new WWE contract as the Money in the Bank 2011 PPV was going on makes the excellent match he had with John Cena even more impressive.

Amazing seeing Ring of Honor on WWE. I'm glad Punk's ROH career was covered from the awesome 2004 trilogy with Samoa Joe to the 2005 Summer of Punk.

I didn't know about Punk's adopted Mum and Sisters.

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

The documentary was good, but Punk is just an arrogant dickhead when it comes to thinking he should've been in the WrestleMania main event instead of Miz. Miz worked harder than anyone for about three years to get to that point, he was handed fuck all. And even if Punk was in that match, he'd have been crying about playing second fiddle to the Cena-Rock aspect of it anyway.

Joey Mercury looks really odd now.

• Paid Members

The Punk DVD can go two ways. Some may see him as a moaning old dear ("I'd won the World title, tag title, IC title & 2 Money In The Banks... and they weren't doing anything with me"), while others may be into him trying to get himself over as the ultimate misfit that got nothing from nobody (well, apart from the World title, tag title, IC title & 2 Money In The Banks).

The strength of this DVD is how candid most people are, by WWE standards (of course, there is still some bollocks in it). Hayes and Triple H are the best talking heads ever to feature on a DVD. The Punk/Vince interaction are intriguing.

I personally enjoyed Punk calling The Miz's rubbish title run out. Not only because I hated The Miz trying to hang with the big boys, but also because The Miz's company-friendly talking head parts made him look like a right arse licker on this, mainly because everybody else seemed to be up for actually saying stuff that sounded like a person.

I wouldn't say it's the best DVD of its kind WWE has done, but it's certainly very good.

• Paid Members

What I got from the DVD was that WWE didn't want to push him but the talent depth was/is so bad they had to because there was no one else. Jim Ross saying "CM Punk was elevated to the main event by working with the Undertaker" was quite hilarious. If JR didn't permanently have a straight face I doubt he'd have kept one while saying that. The Undertaker feud almost killed him off. The DVD did go a long way to explaining why they never put him in main event slots without John Cena sellotaped to him, though. Michael Hayes, Triple H, Scott Armstrong and John Cena's talking heads keep drilling it into you. Works hard, looks like a tramp. I did enjoy Michael Hayes burying Heyman for being a liar, though.

Excellent watch that deviated from what you usually get from a WWE DVD. Glad to see they covered his indie stuff in some much detail. Hero got a great showing for a NXT guy, right?

One minor thing: is his tour of the WWE vault on either the DVD or blu-ray? I couldn't see it.

Can't find it either, think it didn't make the final cut

Archived