Comic Book and Superhero movie & TV discussion.

Bellenda Carlisle

• Paid Members

I just got back from the new Fantastic Four and it really isn't as bad as is being made out, it's better than the Jessica Alba ones (not that that is saying much) It does have some serious pacing issues but it's not hopeless. The pre-superpowers part was great, it felt like an 80s kids film like explorers or something. I enjoyed that part more than I expected to, the rest of the film was ok but it's where all the problems are I think, it seemed like it was going at a good pace until the middle then suddenly it's like it wants to finish as soon as possible.

Also the Thing is naked in it which seems strange.

Josh Trank has already said it's not how he wanted it to be and compromises ruined it (on the day it comes out no less- ouch)

After reading up a bit after I see Josh Trank has had quite a lot of drama in his career already, he pulled out of/got kicked off the new star wars film, he got in shit with fox for delivering a version of fantastic four they didn't like at all that was given extensive reshoots and they had to drop the 3D release of the film 4 weeks before it came out because it wasn't ready. And its only his second film, what a shit start.

Edited by Call me Bellend

I just got back from the new Fantastic Four and it really isn't as bad as is being made out,

I watched it this afternoon. It is not as awful as it is being made out to be, but it is also not a good film either.

The first half of the film is fine (a little slow but not too bad), but after they get their powers and the "One Year Later" comes up it feels like that is where the re-shoots came in, and where the quality of the film takes a major nose-dive.

Doctor Doom is barely in the film and when he does appear they don't expand upon what his powers are, the Fantastic Four do nothing much with their powers when they get them, the look of some of the effects in the second half of the film are pretty poor, there is pretty much zero chemistry between any of the main four characters, and the end just seems really rushed (in fact most of the second half of the film seems rushed, and there seems to be lots of bits cut out of the film).

The first half of the film is about a 6/10, the second half is about a 3.

• Paid Members

With the way the director is already trying to distance himself it'll be interesting to see if any details are leaked of what the original cut of the film involved.

By the way it's been received I'm wondering what will happen with the rights now. Can't see fox wanting to make a sequel and if they don't there's a good chance marvel can try and get them back.

• Paid Members

With the way the director is already trying to distance himself it'll be interesting to see if any details are leaked of what the original cut of the film involved.

http://www.darkhorizons.com/news/38274/trank-vs-fox-fantastic-debate-turns-ugly

Things have got pretty nasty between Trank and Fox, his tweet opened the floodgates for dirty laundry to come out. He sounds like a complete twat, I think he bit off way more than he could chew, he'd only made one smallish film and now he's given over a hundred million to make a superhero blockbuster and the studio want heavy involvement. He just couldn't handle it.

• Paid Members

It has a 3.9 rating on IMDB, which I know isn't necessarily a quality barometer, but it can't be that bad, can it? Surely that's down to people hating it for the sake of it

I've seen so many people slag it off that I know haven't seen it it's pathetic. I hate negative buzz before something comes out. I'm glad Batman vs Superman turned it around with the amazing trailer and people realising Ben Affleck is actually a great choice, everything they've shown of Batman looks great.

Edited by Call me Bellend

Furthermore, would it be getting the same kind of hate if it wasn't produced by FOX and the Fantastic 4 being intergrated into the MCU?

I might go give it a whirl on Thursday when I have an early shift

Well if we're playing devils advocate here, would we see the same released product if it were Marvel, and not Fox, in charge?

I think you're seriously underestimating how little structure or purpose this film has, it really is shockingly flat and empty on a whole. It was a film rushed into production pretty much purely so Fox could keep the rights and it really shows from the script to the notable (Fox demanded) reshoots all the way down to genuinely off putting wardrobe continuity issues.

The actual dialogue - the little that there actually is - is dreadful too, largely cliché-filled spiel delivered with zero conviction.

I really wanted this film to be good but it doesn't even reach enjoyable for me at least, it just reeks of studio execs assuming people will go to see any superhero movie given to them but neglecting to make any real effort to make it good one.