Shoot interviews

IANdrewDiceClay

You could have a good drinking game with the Russo timeline. A shot for every time he says 'fake' or 'literally'.

Its quite scary how he still believes in the idea of Tank Abbott winning the WCW Title. The logic of the finish of the match (ie, a fresh Tank beats a worn down Sid) is fine, but the entire logic of having Tank as champion from then on is not mentioned at all, and is seemingly not even in the thought process of Russo.

• Paid Members

Another Russo shoot interview drinking game would be to have a shot every time he says 'And I'll never forget...' I don't know if he still bums that phrase on his newer shoots but on the older ones he started pretty much every single sentence with it.

I recently watched the Highspots Dave Taylor shoot which I've been meaning to watch for a while and thought it was great. Sadly the bloke is only doing the shoot for around an hour but its really interesting and entertaining throughout. Taylor came across as an honest bloke and his humour is one that was misunderstood by the shite interviewer (forgot his name). My favourite moment is when he's asked about Mexico, and Taylor responds with “I got off the plane, and thought what a right shithole“. Which is also the same opinion he had for India. The dvd comes with an IWA classic of Dave Taylor Vs Claudio Castagnoli which I'd recommend to YouTube.

I also watched the Bill Demott Shoot from Highspots which is one of my favourite shoot interviews I've watched. His take on the Invasion is rather funny and I was unaware of all the shennanigans Stasiak was playing at when he went to the WWF. You can see why they give him that idiotic gimmick. I found it difficult to believe Demott when he says there was gonna be a WWF Vs WCW tag match at Mania 17 but Stasiak fucked it up. Demott outlines how the WCW blokes were treating and his take on the developmental system is very interesting.

Edited by Twinn

I'm sure it was something to do about Developmental when they wanted him to relocate. Taylor couldn't be arsed relocating and told them where to go.

It was amusing hearing him mention how him and Regal got together. As he mentioned to Vince that him and Regal could do better job as a tag team, then Vince put them together and told them to. Its a shame the tag team of Taylor and Burchill weren't given any focus for the last part of his WWE run.

It was also fascinating hearing how he got into wrestling as he couldn't be arsed working a 9-5 job and father was a wrestler. He really put over Doug Williams and the British style of wrestling. For an hour interview there really was a lot of knowledge and interesting facts brought out from this one. I wouldn't mind for more shoot interviews to be around this length.

I'd recommend the Dave Taylor one as well. No interest in him as a wrestler, but his interview entertained me quite a bit. It's the combination of him having wrestled for years in America and been featured on the biggest wrestling company in the world, but still being a stereotypical northern bloke. Regal has a bit of an oddness to him, but a Dave Taylor could be found in a pub anywhere in Lancashire or Yorkshire. Getting someone like that's perspective on the weird world of wrestling is fun. I might have a look for it and watch it again, actually.

I found it difficult to believe Demott when he says there was gonna be a WWF Vs WCW tag match at Mania 17 but Stasiak fucked it up. Demott outlines how the WCW blokes were treating and his take on the developmental system is very interesting.

I find that hard to believe as well. WrestleMania 17 was already fully-booked by the time the sale went through, wasn't it?

• Paid Members
I find that hard to believe as well. WrestleMania 17 was already fully-booked by the time the sale went through, wasn't it?

I remember the rumours at the time. There must have been something planned for the WCW lot. Here is Lance Storm's fairly detailed take on it:

We are finally back to the WrestleManias I’ve seen before, because as you should all be aware, I was at this WrestleMania sitting in the WCW private box. The box seats were awesome we had a small buffet of food and drink set up for us, as well as monitors and great seats. I don’t remember who all was there but there was likely 10-12 of us from WCW. If memory serves we got the call that we would be going only a couple days before the event and flew in Sunday morning, I believe in hopes of keeping as low a profile as possible.

They flew us in, put us up at a different hotel, and had a bus booked to sneak us in the back door of the arena. We were even brought over a little bit late in hopes that all the fans would be in their seats and no one would see us. Unfortunately all these effort to keep our Mania appears secret were for not because Shawn Stasiak did a radio or Internet interview the day before and stooged off the whole thing. The office was furious and many of us speculated that it might cost him his job. I was even told that at one point the plan was to have us do a run in on the Vince vs Shane match, but Vince was so mad word had leaked that he killed the angle and almost sent us all home. Thankfully we at least got to stay and watch the show.

I'll be honest, I remember the buzz at the time. It was about a week or two removed from the big announcement, so even the likes of Lance Storm and Mike Awesome "invading" WrestleMania would have been pretty hot. Even if it was to run some folk off or something. Everyone was expecting WCW to be doing something that night.

Edited by IANdrewDiceClay

That's the same for me Pitcos. I thought he was average with his team with Regal and his WCW run wasn't particularly memorable but him being a Brit interested me with this shoot. He's somebody you can relate to, understand the humour and you can compare to someone you've come into contact with before. Overall a great guy. I'd love to see him do one of these One Night Comedy Gigs seen as they're popular lately.

Regading Bill Demott he mentions that he was told they were gonna do the tag match at Mania. Demott was excited for his 'WrestleMania Moment' but Stasiak participated in an internet radio show leaking who was jumping ship once WCW folded to the WWF. They were all punished, Vince wanted rid of them all and there 'WrestleMania Moment' ended up as a few mid carders in a Skybox in the Houston Astrodome. This was to become the beginning of a slow painful death for the WCW guys.

• Paid Members
Yeah, I could see them getting involved in the Vince vs Shane match or something, but I can't see them having an unannounced, unadvertised WWF vs WCW match that night. They knew that was gonna be big money in a few months, and there were already eleven matches on the card.

There's absolutely no chance they were having a WCW match on 2 weeks build anyway, so Demott's definitely talking shit there.

Mind you, if they'd have done the Mike Awesome angle they did on Raw a few months later, that would have been pretty cool, I reckon. Have Awesome come out of nowhere and steal the Hardcore title at the biggest show of the year. It sounds daft now, but I swear that might have made my head explode as a 16 year old. Its funny, because its absolutely nothing now. Its just another angle in the middle of a pretty uncreative period, but when Awesome beat Rhino for the Hardcore belt and left with it, I went mental for it. JR and Heyman were ridiculously good at the time as well.

Edited by IANdrewDiceClay

Aye, that would've been massive if Mike Awesome came out after Kane went through Big Show and the crashmats and pinned him for the belt. It would've kicked off the invasion big-time too soon though really, and they probably didn't know what they were doing at that point. Vince vs Shane is the part of the show where their inclusion made the most sense and could've been explained away/written out afterwards until they knew what the plan was.

From the Lance Storm column, it sounds like they were just getting told various speculation about what they'd do, and the one that stuck with DeMott was "we're having a match at WrestleMania."