Scottish Football Discussion Thread 2010/11

The Cum Doctor

You're right the Petershill stadium is excellent and very suitable for their needs. Artificial all weather surface, a nice wee bar and 5 a side pitches for revenue.

I also saw Bo'ness play earlier in the season at their place against Queens Park. They looked very assured and easily deserved their upset win. This is extra dissapointing as I saw Queens absolutely destroy Clyde the other week.

Really we need a proper pyramid type system of some sort in Scotland because as was said these teams wouldn't look too out of place in the 2nd division as team like beith, Spartans and bo'ness prove every year in the cup. Admitedly it is my team (Clyde) who would be the immediate losers but screw it, the current closed setup is seriously lacking in 'sporting integrity.'

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pollok FC for me on away days for Celtic. An easy amble when I am back home. If they wanted to they could easily be a league club. Consistently better attendances than anyone in the 2nd or 3rd Division plus they are in a very fashionable area. Could be the Scottish Fulham. Shame they are doing pish this year.

I'm the same there as I am here. I'll pop along to a junior match if I'm up the road. Watched Blackburn United and West Calder United a few times, decent games and West Calder's sparkly new ground is nice. If I'm down the road and not working I try to get along to a South of Scotland match as well.

Surprised no one has spoke about how bad Rangers were in the first half last night. It was actually embarrassing. Maurice Edu was bloody woeful. Rangers need a major overhaul from defence to attack. Midfield is where they seem to be lacking the most with Davis not even performing nowadays. It was good to see Gregg Wylde play so well, incredible acceleration.

That's because the establishment stopped Soap and co. from posting about it. They're after 'em you know.

Anyway, not massively surprised to be honest - clearly the plan was to hold out for the first half, then go at them in the second and try and come out with a 1-0, especially with Sunday looming. When we then conceded after 13mins, the team panicked as WALTER! ALL CAPS! clearly hadn't filled them in on his backup plan. We should've had a penalty when Atiba Hutchinson handballed on the line, as well as when Bougherra was fouled in the box, but there's no point in pretending that a referee's decision was entirely to blame. Smith had also clearly decided that the Co-op Cup is the game he wants to prioritise, when actually, I'd have sacked all that off for another shot at European glory. Still, pleased with Wylde's performance and it seems that Murray Park is still producing the goods, albeit with it now being something of a necessity rather than just a pleasant surprise that a youngster breaks the team.

Sounds awful, but Lafferty's injury would've actually been something of a benefit to us had it not taken so long to get him off the field, breaking our momentum somewhat. We had far more chance with Diouf or Healy on the pitch than Lafferty - the useless tosser never does the chasing he SHOULD do, but instead only chases when he has a 0.01% chance of getting the ball and usually 99% of getting the man. Still, at least he's hopefully not going to be playing on Sunday now.

• Paid Members

Annan pressed towards the play off spot today beating Montrose 2-1 coming from behind like we did against East Stirlingshire last month. It wasn't pretty and Annan are in need of a couple of good footballers. Has anyone in he thread ventured down to Galabank or has any plans to?

I heard that Montrose player manager steve tweed resigned after the game today, all 7 of the away support were calling for his head during the game.

• Paid Members
Keep up with Shettleston Juniors as I'm from here and my mate plays for them. John Kennedy's brother also plays for them and John is at a lot of their games.

I was at Shettleston Juniors yesterday for their game against Dunipace. Shettleston won 2-0. Great game. Enjoyed it a lot.

The stadium might be old, but it has a homely feel to it for some reason. I loved it. Very old-school.

Ardeer Thistle drew 2-2 yesterday. Here's the report:

Ardeer Thistle 2 Irvine Vics 2

Ardeer weren't at their best in the first half but improved later in the game against the Westenders.

As stated above, Ardeer didn't start well and it was the away side who were the better team in the early stages. The Vics should have taken the lead in the 14th minute when barrel-chested striker Kevin Adam had a chance to score from the rebound, but he hit the post when it was easier to score. They then hit a low free-kick wide of goal before they opened the scoring after 21 minutes, with defender Craig Mitchell heading in from a corner to score his first goal for the club. The scoreline remained the same for the rest of the half with little in the way of clear-cut chances for either side.

Neither team made any substitutions at half-time but Ardeer played like a different side to that which struggled in the first 45 minutes, and equalised shortly after the restart. Tommy Maitland sent a sublime pass through the defence to Darren Quinn, who blasted the ball past Jim Catterson and into the net. Later, Lee Munro went down under a challenge in the box but his penalty appeal was turned down by referee Mark McLean. The official then enraged the away support with his decision to allow Ardeer's second goal on 79 minutes. Shug McIlroy looked to be offside as he received the ball on the left flank, and just about every player in the vicinity stopped momentarily expecting the whistle to be blown. However, this was not forthcoming and Shug ran with the ball before placing his shot past the goalkeeper to give Ardeer the lead. The lead only lasted for four minutes as Ben Carson levelled the scoreline for the Vics, although he too seemed to be in an offside position as he scored. The last ten minutes of play was frenetic end-to-end stuff as both teams pressed for a winner. Ardeer's Darren Quinn came closest to doing so, but he was denied by a fantastic reaction save by Catterson and the game finished 2-2.

• Paid Members

Well once this is over, I wonder what the fallout to that penalty decision will be. Will Walter Smith keep slating Craig Thomson for changing his mind and driving the referees to strike like Lennon did?

Decision was right in the end though. Total dive.

All the junior teams mentioned, and unless I missed it, no one has mentioned the greatest of them all Auchinleck Talbot. I really despise scottish football, but I do enjoy watching the juniors when I get the chance.

I'll give mention to Port Glasgow and Greenock since I've seen the two of them a fair bit. Their stadium is down the road from me ( aye, stadium ) so I try to get to it as much as possible. The support for both teams is actually dreadful. The other side always seems to have a bigger support.

Archived