Other MMA Shows

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

I've watched Bellator 89 in installments today in between doing other shit. You've pretty much covered my thoughts on the show, Ebb. Marshall vs Spang was exactly how I expected. I loved both the Dantas vs Galvao and Cramer vs Rogers fights. Best Bellator show so far this year for me.

Somewhere in America Tim Credeur was wanking his cock off.

Fixed that for you.

• Paid Members
to be fair, it aint hard to get hold of these shows the morning after they air. Dont let the lack of a UK tv deal stop you from watching.

Well, to be fair, I downloaded the majority of ufc and strike force last year so that's not really the issue. I guess when I really think about it it's actually the tournament format. I've never really liked it.

When the next one airs I will give it a go. I never even got around to watching mo's debut either. Also, the more I read about Shlemenko the more I like him.

Edited by lambyUK

• Paid Members

i heard on Junkie radio recently that there are people that find the tournament concept confusing, not so much the structure of a single tournament but the fact that there's so many going on at once, i guess if you don't follow it closely it probably is a bit 'what the fuck is going on?' and they were also complaining about the amount of Russians fighting who have similar yet different names (though you cant deny the quality of those fighters).

I don't find it confusing, the brackets are clearly laid out but if you just wanna watch some MMA you can pretty much ignore the tournament thing, the fights are still the same.

It's Bellator's thing and they seem to wanna stay with it, it does keep fighters active though and i love that.

Next show by the way is this Thursday, and it's King Mo again :)

Edited by Ebb

• Paid Members
and they were also complaining about the amount of Russians fighting who have similar yet different names (though you cant deny the quality of those fighters).

People are complaining about that? What a stupid thing to moan about. More exciting, potentially great fighters are coming up but people are whinging because their names always end in '...enko' or '...ov'?

Silliness. I suppose these people are confused by Anderson, Wanderlei, Bigfoot, Thiago and Erick Silva as well. And let's not forget little Joe Silva.

I was a bit worried about Dantas. He seemed to be really into a war with Galvao after the big knockdown in the second round and got clocked a couple of times. Took him a bit of time to realise that he should probably take another course of action, and he wound up standing off. If he continued down that road though, it looked like he was going to get knocked out.

Enjoyed the show on the whole, and I absolutely loved Rogers/Cramer.

• Paid Members
and they were also complaining about the amount of Russians fighting who have similar yet different names (though you cant deny the quality of those fighters).

People are complaining about that? What a stupid thing to moan about. More exciting, potentially great fighters are coming up but people are whinging because their names always end in '...enko' or '...ov'?

Silliness. I suppose these people are confused by Anderson, Wanderlei, Bigfoot, Thiago and Erick Silva as well. And let's not forget little Joe Silva.

Bit of random trivia: surnames ending with "-enko" are originally Ukrainian, as opposed to ethnic Russian. But because the USSR used to move people around all the time, they've become prevalent throughout Russia.

• Paid Members
Ha, fair enough. I was thinking of Russians in MMA and Fedor Emelianenko and Alexander Shlemenko were the first 2 who popped into my head. Followed by Kharitonov.

They probably are Russian in terms of nationality, and even immediate parentage. It's a bit like how people here called McDonald or Corrigan might be English, but the surname suggests Irish or Scottish roots way back, from people moving around the UK so much.

Anyone breakdown who he is fighting would be welcome. I have not kept up with Bellator since the Askren/Mo card.

Emanuel Newton is his opponent. Record of 19-7-1. Notable wins over James McSweeney & David Heath, with losses to the likes of Ryan Jimmo, Trevor Prangley, Mike van Arsdale & Brian Ebersole.

He competed in the 2012 light-heavy Bellator tournament, losing at the semi-final stage against Attila Vegh (28-4-2). He has a 2-1 Bellator record.

Personally I don't think he offers much in this fight. Lawal should put him away over the first two frames I reckon. I'd be very surprised if Mo doesn't go on to win the whole thing actually, as I don't see either of the other two semi-finalists offering much either.

• Paid Members

Yeah, I saw Newton in MFC and I think I saw one of his Bellator fights. Nothing sticks out in the memory. The fact we're all so hazy on him should indicate he's not the type of opponent Mo should struggle with.

I'll have Mo to win the tournament as well. 205 is one of the weaker divisions in Bellator and to me Mo's head and shoulders above the rest from what I've seen. Hopefully they pick up Rampage soon. Mo vs Rampage would be the biggest fight in Bellator history so far.