Other MMA Shows

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

Nothing posted about the Bellator show this weekend yet?

20141212052819_Bellator_132_Pitbull_vs__

Main Card

Patricio Freire © vs. Daniel Straus
Georgi Karakhanyan vs.Bubba Jenkins

Houston Alexander vs. Virgil Zwicker

Fernando Gonzalez vs.Marius Žaromskis

Preliminary Card

Dustin Jacoby vs. John Salter
Everett Cummings vs. Hector Carillo
Jonathan Rivera vs. Steve Kozola
Derek Anderson vs. Danny Navarro

Fabricio Guerreiro vs. TBA
Fabian Gonzalez vs. Albert Morales
Luc Bondole vs. Chris Herrera

Never watched Bellator before and know nothing about anyone on the card. Tempted to give it a try this weekend because the UFC show isn't on until the early hours of Sunday. Will I be wasting my time?

You’ll probably be getting a main event that will be good to great but the rest of the card doesn’t look too good, either from a quality standpoint or name value standpoint. Bellator shows are greatly helped by the announcing, though, as Sean Wheelock and Jimmy Smith are very good together and they haven’t gone into cruise control like Goldberg and Rogan have done for the most part.

• Paid Members

Main card should well be well worth you're time.

The main event features two of Bellator's standout fighters, and without doubt two of the best 145'lbers outside of the UFC. Pitbull already holds a win over Straus too so it's a rematch.

I'll always still feel the need to watch Houston Alexander fight for some reason, im not exactly sure why but im always interested to check his fights out. Zwicker is nails and im hoping he drags a brawl out of Alexander, who has a habit of not giving the fans what they want.

Marius Zaromskis at one point one of the most hyped prospects in the sport, he won the DREAM grand prix which was a big deal at the time. It's never really panned out for him but he's never in dull fights, dude throws some wild shit. Gonzalez is coming off a KO of Karo Parisyan.

Bubba Jenkins entered MMA with huge hype as well, former NCAA Div. 1 champion, it's been a bit of a slow process though. I think Coker's gonna push the guy though cause this is highest profile fight against his toughest opponent. Karkhanyan was the WSOF 145lb champ last year, this is his first fight since he lost his belt.

Hope that helps a little, i think it'll be well worth you tuning in for. The fact that the UFC isn't till Sunday means this could be ideal Saturday evening viewing if you can get hold of a copy (that's my plan).

this is Saturday also, so i plan on watching this before the UFC starts on Sunday evening:

Y9THaMV.jpg

• Paid Members

Hope that helps a little, i think it'll be well worth you tuning in for. The fact that the UFC isn't till Sunday means this could be ideal Saturday evening viewing if you can get hold of a copy (that's my plan).

Cool, thanks. Exactly that. Will try to catch.

• Paid Members

cause i care about you guys, i've linked a few pieces of Bellator promotional stuff they've released this week with regards to the show tomorrow night. It's weird how two little 5-7 minute pieces on each fighter can make a fight mean so much more to the spectator.

...and i never knew Georgi Karakhanyan used to play for Spartak Moscow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Oc0iQ4lbDs

and here's a technical breakdown of Pitbull:

• Paid Members

cause i care about you guys, i've linked a few pieces of Bellator promotional stuff they've released this week with regards to the show tomorrow night. It's weird how two little 5-7 minute pieces on each fighter can make a fight mean so much more to the spectator.

Nice one. I'm in on this show now. Couldn't agree more, 15 minutes and I'm 100% more interested in that fight. Watched the Georgi video then 2 minutes of the Bubba one and I immediately want to see Bubba get knocked out. Then you see him busting his arse in the gym and he wins you over.

Bellator 134 looks fantastic:

Douglas Lima vs Paul Daley

Emanuel Newton vs Liam McGeary

Sokoudjou vs Linton Vassell

Bobby Lashley vs James Thompson

Michael Page vs Curtis Millender

There's not many fighters I look foward to watching more than Lima, McGeary and Page, so this should be a fantastic show. Lima's looked outstanding in his last few fights, and I havent seen Daley fight for yonks, but I cant see Lima having too many problems with him (there must be a sizeable reach difference going on, too). Newton's looked horrible in his last three fights (before that spinning back fist, Im sure he was losing in that Beltran match), so hopefully McGeary will destroy him.

Page's last fight was dull, so hopefully this one is better. Lashley/Thompson should be a lot of fun, as should the Sokoudjou fight. Every fight looks great.

Bellator 132

Marius Zaromskis (169.4lbs, 20-8) vs. Fernando Gonzales (171lbs, 22-13) opened up the main card with a total slugfest. It started off with an exciting first round but tapered off after that due to the pace, though it was still an above average scrap, with Gonzales taking the unanimous decision victory with 30-27s across the board

Before the next fight, you had some comments from both Alexander and Zwicker, and this is the style of presentation I was talking about wanting to see in the UFC, with both guys talking directly into the camera. I could have done without the cheesy ending from Alexander, but both still came across a lot meatier, something real, and less bland than the normal talking head stuff. Cheese aside, it wasn’t ‘cutting a promo’ or anything else that was nothing like what I had originally stated I wanted to see but people n insisted must be what I actually meant; it was two fighters expressing their real feelings and emotions and doing so directly into the camera. Little things like that can make a big difference because real feelings and emotions can create a connection and it’s that connection that makes stars.

Houston Alexander (203.4lbs, 16-10-1) vs. Virgil Zwicker (206lbs, 12-4-1) the fight itself, a rematch of a fight that ended in a majority draw due to Alexander being deducted a point due to two illegal headbutts, was a low-rent version of the opener; a slugfest, but with less skill. Alexander doesn’t have the best of chins anymore and his punching power is not what it used to be, whilst Zwicker isn’t any great shakes himself. It went the distance with Zwicker getting the nod via split decision with scores of 29-28, 29-28 and 27-30 in his favour.

Georgi Karakhanyan (145,8lbs, 23-4-1) vs. Bubba Jenkins (145.9lbs, 8-1) was the co-main event and did not lost long; Karakhanyan got a guillotine almost right away and held it for almost a minute before Jenkins finally escaped after much effort. Jenkins went in for a takedown and Karakhanyan again got the guillotine choke and this time, Jenkins could not escape and was rendered unconscious in just 1:49. There was a delay on Herb Dean stopping the fight, even though Karakhanyan was telling him Jenkins was out, but, to their credit, the announcers immediately explained why that was; Jenkins’ arm was stiff and it looked like he was pushing out, hence the delay between Jenkins passing out and the fight being stopped.

In the post-fight interview, was told he was getting the next shot at the winner of the main event featherweight title fight.

Patricio Pitbull © (144.3lbs, 22-2) vs. Daniel Strauss (143.4lbs, 22-5) was the main event for Bellator’s featherweight title. The first round was very competitive but definitely one for Strauss, who showed very good striking, and it was definitely something to see Strauss not only meeting Pitbull in the stand up battle but doing very well in it. The second round revolved around Strauss delivering two low-blows and then an eye poke, accidentally, in short order; the fans were not happy, and neither was Pitbull, and Strauss ended up getting a point deducted after the eye poke, but John McCarthy said it was for the low blow, which is strange because he had let both low blows slide. It was a close round but Pitbull edged it near the end and takes it 10-8 because of the point deduction. The third round was close again but Strauss, I felt, did enough in the latter stages of the round to take it, and these two are very evenly matched. The fourth round was being more of the same until Pitbull delivered an inadvertent low blow, and when McCarthy stepped in, Pitbull initially thought the fight was being called off. The fight resumed and by now, Pitbull’s right eye was covered in blood from mouse’s above and below it busting open. Late in the round, Pitbull took Strauss down and managed to get his back, with Pitbull then defending against a kimura before sinking in a rear naked choke and getting the tap out in 4:49 of the fourth. Pitbull retains his title after something of a dirty war and Pitbull pulled this out on in the clutch because Strauss was on his way to taking the fourth round and it wasn’t looking good for Pitbull. Next up for the champion is Georgi Karakhanyan and based on tonight, I’d say a title change is a distinct possibility.

Overall, a fairly decent show, and at least the main event was good and you know the next featherweight title fight.

World Series of Fighting 17

Danny Davis. Jr (170lbs, 10-8-1) vs. Adam Cella (171.6lbs, 6-2) kicked things off with a decent enough one-sided affair with Davis dominating Cella throughout. The highlight was Steve Mazagatti actually getting a call right; Davis landed a soccer kick to Cella’s head as Cella was getting up, and it at least warranted a point being deducted and Mazagatti indeed deducted a point. I was amazed. I would have seriously considered disqualifying Davis outright because it was such a flagrant and intentional breaking of a major rule that it was close to being worthy of an immediate disqualification.

Bryson Hansen (135,2lbs, 7-2) vs. Rudy Morales (135lbs, 3-1) was next. Hansen took Morales down early and landed elbows and Morales ended up getting busted open and was bleeding heavily. The cut was checked but Morales was allowed to continue with Hansen maintaining his dominance for the rest of the round. That was as exciting as the fight got as Hansen was content to fight a methodical but not engaging style, grinding out a low-risk and low-excitement decision victory.

Krasimir Mladenov (185.8lbs, 11-0) vs. Brendan Kornberger (185lbs, 5-0) was a rather dour affair with Mladenov using his wrestling to control Kornberger pretty much from beginning to end. This wasn’t a bad fight per se, but there was absolutely nothing about it that stood out or was memorable.

Johnny Nunez (155.6bs, 5-0) vs. Joe Condon (156lbs, 11-7) was the co-main event, with Condon, originally slated to compete on the undercard, moving up as a late replacement on less than 48-hours’ notice. This was another solid but unengaging fight that was fine but just not memorable at all, outside of the finish. Nunez was dominant throughout but didn’t really stand out and like everything else about this fight and this card as a whole so far, his performance was solid but forgettable, but it would be Condon who would pull out the win from almost nowhere with less than a minute to go with Nunez going for a takedown and Condon countering with a modified guillotine, and just as Bas Rutten, who is tremendously overrated as a commentator, was confidently downplaying the chances of Condon getting the win, Nunez tapped out and in the half-second it took the referee to break them up, Nunez was unconscious.

Jake Shields (170lbs, 30-7-1, 1 NC) vs. Brian Foster (169.8lbs, 27-6) was the main event with the winner getting a shot at Rousimar Palhares and the WSOF welterweight title. Shields walked through Foster in 2:51, taking him down twice in short order, getting into position for an head-arm triangle, and when Foster tried to escape, Shields took his back and got a rear naked choke for the tap out victory.

Before we signed off, we got undercard highlights and the undercard looked infinitely better than the main card.

Not a bad night of action, but not that good, either, and instantly forgettable.