Other MMA Shows

Egg Shen

What a stacked card, will be watching on Friday.

I have not seen Chandler before, nor the Challengers in either title fights. I hope Mo beats Noe and it will be interesting to see Minakov again who I think could have serious potential.

Sadly, all Bellator talk online I have read has been about Rampage vs Jones Jnr.

• Paid Members

Chandler is an animal. And you'd never think so to look at him. He looks like a fucking lifeguard or a catalogue model or something, but he's a killer in the cage.

If you haven't seen any Chandler, Jim, get watching his fight with Eddie Alvarez immediately. It's an incredible fight that got overshadowed because it happened the same night as Hendo vs Shogun. It's brilliant though, and it will give you more an idea what Chandler is about because he doesn't have it all his own way and he shows toughness as well as dangerous offence. The way he dismantled Rick Hawn (who I rate quite highly) was scary.

Yeah, Minakov looks the business so far. I think Mo should win this as long as his head is on right. Hopefully he learned his lesson about complacency in the loss to Newton.

that's another reason to tune in, they are officially announcing plans for the PPV tonight as well.

Jim, you gotta watch some Chandler...easily the best lightweight outside of the UFC.

Chandler vs. Alvarez

Thanks, will watch them later :thumbsup:

I am not liking the PPV plan, I think PPV market is not viable with UFC strong presence on it.

• Paid Members

I think they might regret going on PPV right now. They don't really have a deep enough roster for it IMO, they do in the lower weights but the lower weights have traditionally not drawn as well on PPV.

If Chandler wins this fight (which I think he will), I think they'll try to put together Chandler vs Alvarez 2 as co-main event for the Jones Jr vs Rampage PPV. They need to stack it up and the PPV points thing has been a sticking point in the Alvarez court case as well so they'll probably use this to show the court they can compete with the UFC offer.

They'll probably lose a load of money on this. The show will probably be good but relying on a washed up boxer vs a washed up MMA fighter, and a bunch of small guys who a lot of fans don't know...I don't see how they really get a good return on their investment. Jones is going to command a hefty payday, Rampage won't come cheap, plus if they do wind up having to give Alvarez a cut of the PPV, plus this big contract they're offering him to stay...they're going to bleed money on this.

• Paid Members

Im hoping they have some ace up their sleeve that they'll bust out.

Dana's already warned 'be prepared to lose some money', he also claims that despite Viacom sitting on a bottomless stack of cash, they aint prepared to spend it on the MMA product.

Im interested to see what they do.

Im hoping they have some ace up their sleeve that they'll bust out.

On Sherdog Radio they suggested Tito Ortiz and they even entertained Couture coming back.

Ortiz was the reason I got into MMA initially, but I have no interest in him in 2013 as a fighter. You have to go back to 2006 for Tito to be regarded as a serious title challenger, and I personally lost interest in 2009 in him as a novelty act. I find his fights a bit depressing as he is clearly trying but his body and cardio are just not there, which for his fighting style is critical.

Couture is not much better for me personally, but fans will entertain it more due to the romantic love affair they have with Old Sleazy. I would guess they would match Tito, Couture and Rampage in some variation with each other at some stage if they can convince all 3 to fight. Rampage is signed, Tito will be soon probably, and Couture is under contract as it is.

So Bellator may become a tribute to MMA in 2004 if they get their wish.

If Chandler wins this fight (which I think he will), I think they'll try to put together Chandler vs Alvarez 2 as co-main event for the Jones Jr vs Rampage PPV. They need to stack it up and the PPV points thing has been a sticking point in the Alvarez court case as well so they'll probably use this to show the court they can compete with the UFC offer.

The big question is, will they have to do fights all night in a ring to save time, or will they switch up to a cage for the MMA bouts? I cannot see Rampage vs Jones in a cage unless they add some rule variation.

Edited by jimufctna24

• Paid Members

The thing is, if Viacom don't want to spend much on MMA, who's going to pay the likes of Couture and Ortiz? These guys won't be cheap. They'd be just another big expense with probably little return. Who is interested in watching Tito fight anymore? And would Randy even be allowed to fight elsewhere? What was the score with his UFC deal? He might have only got out of that contract because he's retired from active competition, he might technically still owe the UFC some fights, and if he tries to come out of retirement it could open up a whole can of worms and litigation. Bellator don't need that, especially with the seemingly never ending Alvarez case.

I can't see what they can do. Chandler vs Alvarez 2 is feasible but big names will just mean more cost, and if Viacom won't cough up the bill will fall on Bellator themselves. I hope it's a success, but I'm struggling to see how they won't lose a shitload of money. I'd hate to see them go the way all the other promotions eventually do by biting off more than they can chew too soon.

EDIT - that's a good point, the ring/cage bollocks. Fuck knows.

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members

I think Ortiz could happen, hes talked about coming back recently and appeared in Bellators Russian Invasion program.

I imagine the Fight Master winner could feature on the card too?

Fuck it? Maybe it'll be a straight MMA vs Boxing card? Im interested to find out.

• Paid Members
Fuck it? Maybe it'll be a straight MMA vs Boxing card? Im interested to find out.

Feed Mayorga to Shlemenko maybe? :laugh:

Tito is also hard up for money if rumors are to be believed.

Good point. Maybe he'd take a lesser payday if he's skint. Tito vs Ken 4? What's Kimbo up to, still boxing?

Kimbo is a bit too novelty for Bellator to touch, the UFC run ruined any value he had to mainstream MMA promotions. I like Kimbo, but he is a cred killer. I know Jones Jnr vs Rampage is not much better, but both were respected fighters in there day.

Its still a bit stupid though, ideally Bellator would want Page to look good as their new big cash signing, but in a boxing match he has little chance against Jones. So they are probably feeding their signing to an over the hill boxer, who has not been relevant since Tony Blair was last in power.

I think they may try mixed rules, would make Jones look stupid as with any sort of ground fighting Rampage in theory would have a decent chance. However, I would not bet on Page being a thinking fighter enough to use his wrestling and ground advantage, either way it is all a waste of time and resources.

Couture vs Toney for the standard of the time was a flop 3 years ago with the UFC's power behind it, why they think Rampage and Jones will be a cash cow is beyond me.

• Moderators
Rampage fools the Internet, fighting Tito

"Now I'm with a reputable company that knows how to treat their fighters, it's on."

Rampage said he's down to fight Roy Jones, but my first fight in Bellator will be an MMA fight, I'm fighting this guy, Tito Ortiz.

Oritiz with a shaved head. Rampage said it would be one of the best fights in history (not sure about that), November 2 on PPV from the Long Beach Auditorium in Long Beach, CA.