The Metal/Punk/Rock Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

Machine_Head_-_The_More_Things_Change....jpg

been listening to this...

i mentioned earlier in the thread that ive never been a massive Machine Head fan, ive always liked the band but the fact that i didn't own an album until Unto The Locust tells you all you need to know (im someone who purchases albums if i like em), but seeings that im loving the new album i decided to revisit this. Recently it seems like The More Things Change... is the 'forgotten' Machine Head album. The general consesus nowadays amongst the press is that they made the classic debut 'Burn My Eyes']. then lost the plot 'The Burning Red', then completely lost the plot 'Supercharger' before making a remarkable return to form releasing 3 of the best metal albums of the last 10 years. The More Things Change... get lost in the conversation a little and it's a shame because it's a fucking slamming album. It's a no-nonsence album, full of the kind of head down tunes Machine Head designed to fucking kill it live. Revisit it...

• Paid Members

i mentioned earlier in the thread that ive never been a massive Machine Head fan, ive always liked the band but the fact that i didn't own an album until Unto The Locust tells you all you need to know (im someone who purchases albums if i like em), but seeings that im loving the new album i decided to revisit this. Recently it seems like The More Things Change... is the 'forgotten' Machine Head album. The general consesus nowadays amongst the press is that they made the classic debut 'Burn My Eyes']. then lost the plot 'The Burning Red', then completely lost the plot 'Supercharger' before making a remarkable return to form releasing 3 of the best metal albums of the last 10 years. The More Things Change... get lost in the conversation a little and it's a shame because it's a fucking slamming album. It's a no-nonsence album, full of the kind of head down tunes Machine Head designed to fucking kill it live. Revisit it...

I think this is my favorite MH album behind 'The Blackening'. It's balls out from the start to finish & contains the tremendous 'Take My Scars'. I prefer their guitar work when Phil Demmel joined but for sheer 'headbangability' 'The More Things Change' is killer.

I can't get on to link it at work but check out the live performance of 'Struck A Nerve' at Wacken, the crowd are insane. There's a lot of debate about it at the moment, mainly 'are they big enough' but I'd absolutely love for Machine Head to get a chance of headlining Download. I can't help but think it'd be just like when Slipknot got given the chance to step up & headline for the first time in 09' & delivered with aplomb. A 90 minute Machine Head set, in the dark with full light, lasers & pyros could be incendiary.

• Paid Members

When they've played in the past they always draw headliner sized crowds so it wouldn't be risk in the sense that nobody would watch them, the only thing that could be argued is that they maybe don't have the drawing power on their own to sell the requisite amount of weekend tickets? Especially when compared to the likes of Linkin Park, System et al

• Paid Members

I'm not a fan of Machine Head but Download/Sonisphere taking a punt on them headlining would be fantastic.

There are only so many times they can recycle the same old bands (Def Leppard twice in three years at Download for example) that they need to give someone the chance to break out.

They don't have the pull of any of those yet. But, if they get a sabbath on one day and a maiden on the other day that's more than enough pull, and machine head could easily slot into the third headliner place.

Also, just won tickets to see skindred and therapy in birmingham, pleased about that.

Good call, Cracking album all round. Was hooked from Ten Ton Hammer being released on the Metal Hammer CD's bought it on release, chalked up as another which was robbed, when me collection was decimated.

Have not got round to replacing it yet.

Was wondering how it was forgotten?

Been listening to some ManBREAK over the last few days, thoughts?

If you are unfamiliar

City Life

• Paid Members

shoulda gone to see Volbeat :(

Good call, Cracking album all round. Was hooked from Ten Ton Hammer being released on the Metal Hammer CD's bought it on release, chalked up as another which was robbed, when me collection was decimated.

Have not got round to replacing it yet.

Was wondering how it was forgotten?

Been listening to some ManBREAK over the last few days, thoughts?

If you are unfamiliar

City Life

i remember that Metal Hammer cd :) i still got most of them free cd's they gave away back in the day. Brilliant.

i used to have a ManBREAK single too, am i right in thinking they were from Liverpool?

i remember that Metal Hammer cd :) i still got most of them free cd's they gave away back in the day. Brilliant.

i used to have a ManBREAK single too, am i right in thinking they were from Liverpool?

Aye, they had some good stuff on them back in the day.

ManBREAK are indeed from Liverpool, iirc. All I can remember is that they toured with Live at one point, but gawd knows what they got up to after that

• Paid Members

yeh i think it's safe to say that i wouldn't be a fan of many of the bands i was if it wasn't for them old 'free cd's'. Of course it was before a time when you could find audio online within 30 seconds so them cd's were pretty much the only way i could listen to the music id be reading about...unless i went out and bought it blind, which i did do on many occasions.

Ive recently started to take advantage of free cd's again too, for a while they'd just get thrown on the the pile but ive found some quality stuff hidden at the end of them cd's in recent times.

seeing Volbeat in Sheffield tomorrow, so fucking excited :thumbsup:

Much love for the free cd's, discovered so much great music on there. Its thanks to those free CD's that I really got into Pissing Razors, whose discs Ive just found under my bed for when I move house

Edited by KingOfMetal

• Paid Members

Pissing Razors are a band i got into through the free cd's. Obviously there's a lot of bands you'll end up hearing in other ways but so many bands are on those cd's and never amount to anything, so many hidden treasures outt here.

As for Pissing Razors, they had a relative amount of success, for some reason or other though the only album i ever purcahsed was Fields of Disbelief, fucking good album too. I need to get some more.

Pissing Razors are a band i got into through the free cd's. Obviously there's a lot of bands you'll end up hearing in other ways but so many bands are on those cd's and never amount to anything, so many hidden treasures outt here.

As for Pissing Razors, they had a relative amount of success, for some reason or other though the only album i ever purcahsed was Fields of Disbelief, fucking good album too. I need to get some more.

You can get them dirt cheap on amazon marketplace. I just hoped over there and the 'Live In The Devil's Triangle' DVD is 63p, a ste!l if ever I saw one.

One of the bands from a free CD I had was a band called Occupational Hazard. They were doing a sort of metal/drum&bass crossover (not Pendulum-style). They only put one album out (the self-financed 'The Human Deficiancy') which is well worth checking out