The Metal/Punk/Rock Thread

Egg Shen

For anyone that missed it, or indeed if anyone actually cares:

After Trent Reznor confirmed that Nine Inch Nails will return this year, it looks like their first comeback dates have already been revealed.

Fuji Rocks Festival, which takes place from July 26 to 28 in Niigata, Japan, and Rock 'n' Heim Festival, which takes place July 16 to 18 in Hockenheim, Germany, have both listed Nine Inch Nails as appearing. So, Nine Inch Nails will be in Europe this summer. Interesting....

• 2 weeks later...

Ragnorok (British band) album To Mend the Oaken Heart (1996)

Click the album cover to hear the full album on youtube

Discovered this album today, and my second listen of it just now has confirmed to me that it's a delightful little piece of folk influenced black metal. In fact, I'm not even sure that

Edited by Richie Freebird

• Paid Members
The second album from Ghost, entitled 'Infestissumam', will be released on April 9th.

VERY excited for this album, even if it is the 'tricky second' album. 2010's debut album, 'Opus Eponymous', is one of the best albums I've heard in years and I really enjoyed the new track

i just dont get Ghost, outside of the look and some cool t-shirts i just dont get the appeal, the few bits ive heard have been terrible it sounds like a pisstake...where should i start if im to give it another go King.?

The second album from Ghost, entitled 'Infestissumam', will be released on April 9th.

VERY excited for this album, even if it is the 'tricky second' album. 2010's debut album, 'Opus Eponymous', is one of the best albums I've heard in years and I really enjoyed the new track

i just dont get Ghost, outside of the look and some cool t-shirts i just dont get the appeal, the few bits ive heard have been terrible it sounds like a pisstake...where should i start if im to give it another go King.?

You can get the full first album on http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13MdQ7DgmBM.

Standout tracks for me are Ritual, Elizabeth and Stand By Him. This link has the bonus track included, a cover of Here Comes The Sun, which was a a Japan exclusive.

For me, the appeal is that they don't sound like a modern metal band. They have a very occult rock from the 70's sound full of tinges of Black Sabbath, Witchfinder General and Deep Purple. You could be forgiven for thinking that the album is 30+ years old.

Give it a go, and if you don't like it that's fine, but at least give it a proper chance

I've always felt a huge Blue Oyster Cult vibe from them, pretty much why i like them so much. Another recent Occult Rock band i've been getting into is
, they seem to be making a name for themselves lately.

Good shout there for BOC Merzbow. Like I say, they're a modern metal band that don't sound like a modern metal band, a throwback to 70's occult rock