The Metal/Punk/Rock Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

any fans of Silverchair here? They've just put this out to commemorate the 20th Anniversary of their debut album...

Frogstomp-Full-Aniversary-Edition.jpg

one of the great forgotten bands of the 90's early 00's. When i was in school, anyone who had an interest in rock music knew who Silverchair were, they were pretty fucking massive at the time but they've just disappeared from public consiouscness in recent years. Any mention of Silverchair to the younger fans today is met with a blank expression :confused: in my experience. Definitely a product of their time and this album held no clues as to the direction the band would take further on down the line, It's nuts to think the band were just 14 years of age when they put Frogstomp out, just a bunch of kids copying the kind of music they liked at the time, the album actually holds up pretty well, it's a straight forward grunge inspired rock record with a couple of Helmet riffs added for good measure, Daniel Johns was definitely a natural when it came to song-writing.

Considering every band from that era seem to go on the re-union/new album cycle i expect some kind of Silverchair re-union in a year or so and that's something i'd be well up for as i only ever saw the band at the Reading Festival waaaay back in the day.

I only heard a few bits and pieces of there's. Had mates will were into them much more than I was, I fell very much into the 'knew who they were' category. Didn't the singer date Natalie Imbruglia for a bit?

There seemed to be a bit of a divide after we had a bit of a band-off pitting Silverchsir against My Vitriol. No idea why those two bands in particular, but I was firmly on the side of My Vitriol

Edited by WyattSheepMask

I've literally no idea how it ended up being those. We just had a bunch that liked Silverchair and bunch that liked My Vitriol who had a modicum of success at the time. It was just one of those 'I like this band because...' Scenarios, we'd just debate two bands for a bit of fun whether they were of similar genres/popularity or not. Metallica vs. Megadeth has been raging for over 15 years amongst us and seems to show no sign of ending. Metallica are the winners, in case you were wondering

Silverchair were about 14/15 when Tomorrow was recorded, is insane. I liked them, what I head of them, Australia/ New Zealand produced some good bands around that time Shihad being another that were excellent/

Anyone read Corey Tayloy's 'Seven Deadly Sins' autobiography? I'm about 60 pages in and starting to struggle. The stories are decent but stuck in between all of his philosophising which at first was quirky and interesting but is becoming annoying. I'm finding myself wishing he'd just get to the point.

Went to see System of a down at The Forum this evening. Absolutely phenomenal. Not quite as spiritually overpowering as seeing Rush for the first time, but it was close. I see they're playing Wembley Arena in a few days, anyone going?

anyone heard We Are Harlot? It's the band featuring Danny Worsnop from Asking Alexandria. Being from one of the most polarising bands in rock music i guess the band splits opinion before anyone ever even hears a note...and whilst i don't even think i've heard an Asking Alexandria song, i've always followed them through music press and what-not and have always had them down as a bunch of pretenders who seemed desperate to portray themselves as some kind of 80's rock hellraisers.

Having said that, i'm a fairly open minded kind of guy so I had a listen to the 3 track sampler they stuck on spotify for the upcoming album and it's really fucking good. Worsnop may come off as a bit of a knob but he clearly has a great voice and a ear for melody. It's very much 'classic rock' inspired but doesn't at sound like a band desperately trying to re-create some kind of sound, it has that modern sheen to it. Colour me impressed.

I've been really impressed with their debut album. I've got Sunday download tickets and there playig then which should be fun. Expecting them to be big next year

Chris Adler (Lamb of God) has joined as Megadeth's new drummer on a guest basis, meaning he'll play on the new album and select live shows. This comes after Nick Menza turned down a return to the band after he was offered a "totally unfair deal".

Megadeth have also confirmed former Angra guitarist Kiko Loureiro as perminant replacement for Chris Broderick, who quit the group late last year

Went to see System of a down at The Forum this evening. Absolutely phenomenal. Not quite as spiritually overpowering as seeing Rush for the first time, but it was close. I see they're playing Wembley Arena in a few days, anyone going?

Yeah I was at Wembley last night, it was absolutely off the charts. The energy all round the building was immense, it was a great show. They played minimal amounts of the shit I don't like from Mesmerize and they played P.L.U.C.K and CUBErt which made me extremely happy. Would be more than happy to see them stick around a bit more full time.