The Metal/Punk/Rock Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

I've not heard any Horrible Crowes yet - I've mainly been just listening to TGA, who really are greatness. I've been listening so much to "Handwritten" this year, if it was on anything other than my earphones, people would be trying to kill me to stop me playing it.

Fallon does seem to like singing about his radio, though.

Edited by Carbomb

• Paid Members
Talking about being late to the party. I've just got in to Kerbdog. They're fucking brilliant. Why did they not enjoy more success? Great melodies, yet relatively unknown.

ahhh man, one of the most cruelly underrated bands to ever come out of the UK. I got into them off the back of hearing a track (On The Turn) on a Kerrang! cassette back in the day, got that album then they split shortly after. I had to track the debut down through mail order (remember that), and they are two of my favorite albums of all time.

I thankfully got to see them live last year in Bristol as they do reunions from time to time for odd shows and they are planning on putting out a live album later this year of recent reunion shows.

Brilliant band, add their group of facebook. Two thirds of the band went on to form Wilt who also put out two quality records (slightly poppier, more indie sound than Kerbdog but there are similiarities).

Glad you're onboard!

Can I ask, how highly do people rate Brian Fallon here?

He's fast becoming an icon for me, in the same way Springsteen, Morrissey and Dave Grohl are.

I mean, I'd say Gaslight are the greatest straight ahead rock n roll band in the world right now but his side project, The Horrible Crowes are bloody excellent, too. Their album is a blues-y, Tom Waits-y masterpiece. The lead single Behold the Hurricane is a modern classic.

Annnnnnd, I've just discovered his demo's for an aborted solo project that are just beautiful.

Lyrically and musically, he's just ace.

I completely agree. He's up there with Springsteen for me in terms of musical heroes. Everything he does is just gold.

If you enjoyed the demos, you should check out his pre-TGA bands. This Charming Man, Cincinnati Rail Tie, Amping Copper and Surrogate McKenzie. There's also a demo of his own solo songs floating around which he recorded when he was 16 called The Coffeehouse Sessions which is poor quality but shows you how talented he was even then.

• Paid Members

everclear-uk-tour-poster.jpg

anyone else going to this? I noticed the shows are in the smaller parts of the venues...which seems about right, i originally thought they were playing the full academy's which seems a bit ludicrous, but ive got tickets to Bristol. There may be a few detractors that say that 'it aint the real Everclear' but the band has always been about Art Alexakis, and if he's fronting the band, it's Everclear. The new album is great too.

On the subject of bands who simply can't go on without a certain member(s), are there any that you think tarnish the bands history by continuing? (there's hundreds)...obvious one is:

Guns N' Roses - it's a weird one for me because i really like the Chinese Democracy album, and i don't think the band would get any of the stick it gets if they simply went on known as Axl Rose, but it's all about Axl seemingly want to protect what he thinks is his. I'm neutral on the subject. The fact that every other Guns N' Roses alumni still play the GN'R tunes at their shows means it's basically the same thing.

Smashing Pumpkins - alot of people don't really class the new Pumpkins as being the 'real thing' but like Everclear, the Smashing Pumpkins was always about Billy Corgan, he's the chief songwriter and if you believe the stories he played the majority of the instruments on the albums. The difference with the Pumpkins to a band like Everclear is that the band had a mystique, they were also one of the most visually interesting rock bands in history, so i see why people don't like the fact that that element of the band has been lost...still, their last album was quality. I'll give em a pass.

• Paid Members

The new Coheed and Cambria album has left me pretty underwhelmed. Sentry the Defiant would be great if someone had remembered to produce the verses, and there was another one that I quite liked (Gravity's Union, I think), but they're a long way from their best. Ascension is definitely the superior of the two, which is kind of a let down for a double album with a staggered release.