The Metal/Punk/Rock Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members
Bearing in Mind I'm getting to see Trivium / In Flames / Ghost / Rise To Remain (pretty shit them, but still) and Machine Head / Bring Me the Horizon (I hate them, but people seem to like them) / Devildriver / Darkest Hour for about a fiver more all in, it really is a disgrace how much they're charging. Given Machine Head and In Flames are two of my favourite bands, I'm happier with my money there.

I'd by far rather see Manowar than all those bands (not dissing your taste, I'm just talking about myself)

You guys are cunts! :laugh: I've wanted to see Manowar for years and I'm out of the country this year, I don't care if it's 50 quid, It's a pretty special thing for Manowar to come to the UK.

I've wanted to see them for years too, hence why Im going. The upshot of it is that this could be the only time they do come back, most of the shows still have tickets available (I believe the only shows to have sold out are the dates in Belfast and Dublin). Im at the Leeds show on Friday, which has a capacity of 2,700. Now, even the fact that this is the first tour in 17 years, the show has still yet to sell-out, shows that either Manowar are not as big as they think they are, or people are hanging onto their money because they simply cant afford it. Im lucky to be in a position were I can drive to and from the show rather than have to fork out for a hotel, train etc.

Ultimately, if the tour is poorly attended (potentially due to high priced tickets) it will end up being a financial flop and they won't be coming back

Edited by KingOfMetal

As promised here are the write ups for the new Megadeth, Steel Panther and the Metallica/Lou Reed collaboration. I'll split it over three posts so that if anyone wants to quote anything back they don't have to delete a shedload of text:

220px-MegadethThirteen.jpg

Following up 2008's grammy winning 'Endgame' album was always going to be a tricky task for Megadeth, and particularly its frontman Dave Mustaine. Since that albums release, stages across the world have seen Mustaine reunited with his Metallica bandmates of old, an event which many thought would never happen considering the way that events unfolded in the early 80's (depending on whose story you believe). But ultimately, it did happen, and fans are now hopeful for some form of reunion in the recording studio from both parties. there are a multitude of reasons as to why this won't happen, the most particular being that Metallica and Megadeth are comepletly different animals with the same cage and would simply not co-operate.

While Metallica headed in the direction of eliminating solos on 'St Anger' and reintroduced them on 'Death Magnetic' if the songs called for them, Megadeth seem to be heading in the other direction of having as many solos as possiblec rammed into each album. It was evident at the start of 'Endgame' and it is again in 'Th1rt3en' (simply written Thirteen for the rest of this review) opener 'Sudden Death', which kicks the album in brutal fashion with a galloping bass line and riff akin to materiao from 'Rust In Pace' before Dave unleashes some souring guitar work for the better part of 2 minutes. From their, lead single 'Public Enemy #1' (co-written by producer Johnny K, who also writes 5 more tracks on the album) pays tribute to 'Hanger 18', again off of the 'Rust In Peace' album. And therin lies the issue with the album as a whole. While the music on show is of a standard clearly worthy of being listened to, it all feels a little bit familar and of past era for the band. While they were out on the road last year, they were in the midst of the 20th anniversary of 'Rust In Peace', and one cant help but feel that playing a majority of that album for so long last year crossed over into the writting of this album. Is Mustaine trying to replicate the sound of the early 90's that brought the band such prominance and exposure? Or has he simply taken the music as far as he can musically and now re-treading old ground?

And in some cases, he is treading ground which shouldnt have been walked on in the first place. 'We the People' plods along before trailing off into a nothing conclusion, while 'Guns, Drugs & Money' seems out of place with its more hard rock as opposed to metal feel, echoing a gone-by Alice Cooper sound, which is also present on 'Wrecker' and very much so on 'Deadly Nightshade'.

'Never Dead' takes a full minute to get going, but once it does is a 'Megadeth 101' number, but from here, Mustaine gets lazy, very literally. 'New World Order' (a song with writing creadits for the classic line up of Mustaine, Ellefson, Friedman and Menza, a track which was originally demoed for 'Coundown to Extinction' and was previously released on the 'Youthamasia' remaster) once agains homage to the bands past in a modern setting. Inckuding this track is a puzzle as to why it was not released at the time, as it seemingly doesnt offer anything today that it wouldnt have done 20 years ago, and even less so since being included on the 'Youthanasia' remaster in 2004 as well being included on the Duke Nukem soundtrack. Another track to resurface from 20 years is 'Millennium Of The Blind', originally demoed in 1991, which Mustaine himself has confessed it reminded him of 'Absolution' (which went on to be from 'Trust' from the 'Cryptic Writings' album).

All in all, while the music on offer is certainly enjoyable, you cant help but feel that 'Thirteen' has all been done/heard before, or in some cases were literally concieved two decades ago. I read Mustaine's autobiograpghy a couple of months ago, and when I was finished with it, my image of the man was one of being bitter about no longer being in Metallica. While Metallica have evolved their sound since 1991's self-titled album, Megadeth, or more particaully Mustaine (as it is his band) seems to have struggled to get out of their earlys 90's comfort zone. 'Cryptic Writings' and 'Risk' tried new things and ultimately failed as albums (their were some big singles to come from 'Cryptic Writings'). Furthermore, Mustaine has got a strong set of musicans behind him, especially in Chris Broderick (Jag Panzer, Nevermore) and Shawn Drover. Rather than simply playing parts that Mustaine has come up with, it may be time for them to flex creative muscle to maybe add something new to the Megadeth sound.

7/10

Edited by KingOfMetal

Steel-Panther-Balls-Out-album-cover1-150x150.jpg

While im aware that in my review from a fe wminutes ago for the new Megadeth album, 'Thirteen', I made numerous references to the sound (of the album being that of something we have all heard before), it may seem a tad ironic that this may well some up what Im about to gointo here with the new release from the Sunset Strip's "best kept secret", Steel Panther. But thats part of the tounge-in-cheek nature of the band. While this isnt so much 'tricky second album' territory, more a case of 'how much longer will the joke last?'. But thats part of the charm of the band. While its very much an in-joke and parody of the 80's glam scene, behind all the guy-liner and zebra-print spandex, there are actually some very enjoyable very rocking songs to the bands portfolio.

Starting off with a short intro ('In The Future') speaking of it being "the year 6969" and how the "plowsies of the lesbo-dyke nebula" have made their way to Earth to continue breeding after "elimating their last known enemy...MEN!", its into 'Supersonic Sex Machine' hitting with the same amount of cockiness and swagger of 'Death To All but Metal' from previous release 'Feel The Steel'. While Reckless Love seem to still think its the 80's and play the whole glam-metal look without a hint of irony, its clear here that Steel panther are very much a fun band, and should not be considered a seriously band for a single moment, as everysong to date has been about fucking. 'Just Like Tiger Woods' crams in more sex/golf euthamisms than a...thing that has alot of sex/golf euthamisms, while '17 Girls In A Row' sound sdirectly out of the Motley Crue/Ratt/Warrant catalouge, and thats the whole point, depending on how into the joke you are. In this the 80's, this style of music was massive, while now its almost looked upon with a 'oh my god, i cant believe I used to like that' attitude. But ultimately, the songs rock and catchy. 'It Wont Suck Itself' even sees Chad Kruger (yes, the Nickleback bitch) unleaseh a James Hetfield-like cameo. YES, EVEN CHAD KRUGER IS IN ON THE JOKE.

And while Im shocked at how short this review actually is, theres not really much more I can say without repeated myself over and over. Steel Panther are a great band musically. While the songs are the sound of a past era, they play said songs with real aplomb and gusto. With the band opening arenas in the UK in November in Def Leppard and Motley Crue (more spandex than a spandex warehouse), its interesting to see how into those two bands are. While they'll be playing it straight, Steel Panther are very much there to whip up the crowd, but with the songs behind them that they have, they will have no problems doing so.

Does anybody knows what's going on with the great Akercocke? It's been 4.5 years since the last album (which was a good one) and it seems the last time they got on a stage was 2 years ago.

If you check out the news section of totalrock, theres something about 3 of them working on a nee black metal project, the name of which escapes me at the moment

Decapitated have had to pull out of the Damnation Festival because they were on the plane that crash landed in Warsaw on Tuesday. They aren't hurt.

This is pretty fucking mental when you consider that yesterday was the 4th anniversary of Vitek dying from his injuries from the bus crash. Vogg must be a mess.

Edited by Urskog

• Paid Members

What are peoples predictions for next years Download & Soni headliners? The first announcement will be due in the next few weeks (going on previous years), plenty of rumours flying round too. I'm going for Soni - Rage Against The Machine / Black Sabbath / Paramore. Download - Metallica / Rammstein / Foo Fighters.

• Paid Members
Decapitated have had to pull out of the Damnation Festival because they were on the plane that crash landed in Warsaw on Tuesday. They aren't hurt.

This is pretty fucking mental when you consider that yesterday was the 4th anniversary of Vitek dying from his injuries from the bus crash. Vogg must be a mess.

ahhh, i read about that in the paper yesterday!

poor fuckers.

Edited by Ebb

What are peoples predictions for next years Download & Soni headliners? The first announcement will be due in the next few weeks (going on previous years), plenty of rumours flying round too. I'm going for Soni - Rage Against The Machine / Black Sabbath / Paramore. Download - Metallica / Rammstein / Foo Fighters.

Machine Head will headline one of the two, surely?