The Metal/Punk/Rock Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

The new Morbid Angel album is sadly utterly appalling. Some people are saying it's the biggest disappointment since St Anger.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYTtVk7M5dQ

I mean seriously? This makes me want to cry tears of piss. A review I read summed it up excellently with "It

• Paid Members
The new Morbid Angel album is sadly utterly appalling. Some people are saying it's the biggest disappointment since St Anger.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYTtVk7M5dQ

I mean seriously? This makes me want to cry tears of piss. A review I read summed it up excellently with "It’s like one of the most base level Nu-Metal tracks from The Burning Red being covered by Hatebreed with extra riffs borrowed from The Beautiful People."

Even the death metal tracks are boring. I'm still going to endure a couple of tracks from this turd of an album when I see them at Hellfest though just to lose my shit to Maze of Torment and Chapel of Ghouls.

were we maybe expecting too much?

Probably yes. Though this album has been hyped and hyped and hyped. It's been 8 years in the making and features the eagerly anticipated return of David Vincent to the band. People had huge expectations. I think that's why everyone's so pissed off because after these 8 long years, a lot of the album doesn't even sound remotely like Morbid Angel, and indeed in some songs, not even like death metal. If Trey and David had got together and released this album as a sideproject people would probably have found the whole affair a bit comical and taken the piss a little. It's the fact that it's under the Morbid Angel name which is annoying.

Also has anyone seen the little blurbs from leading metal musicians about the new album? For those that haven't:

""The new Morbid Angel album will cause 3rd World War. After June 7th, the extreme metal scene is never gonna be the same again... And I already can't wait the moment I'll be sitting on my sofa listening to "Illus Divinum Insanus" while the world burns! Ha!" - Nergal, BEHEMOTH

"No other band in the entire Extreme Metal genre but Morbid Angel would have ever dared to make 'Illud Divinum Insanus'. There are going to be quite a few unimaginative underground purists who think they know better what kind of album Morbid Angel should or should not be putting out, but with 'Illud Divinum Insanus' Trey and David prove that they answer to no one but themselves. It is an incredibly well written, performed, recorded and produced record." - Karl Sanders, NILE

"One of the best death metal releases since their last album with Vincent. I'm not too much into the techno bits but I am a dude who will appreciate and respect bands doing new things, progressing... So it's all good. Vincent's vocals of course are still as good as they come. And the riffs are definitely there, Trey always delivers. New drummer is killer too!" - Mikael Akerfeldt, OPETH

"The ultimate voice of death metal is back, as hellish as ever!" - Mikael Stanne, DARK TRANQUILLITY

"Glad to see Morbid Angel are back! We had our share of criticism when we first incorporated electronic elements in our sound and we know it takes courage and passion to follow one's own stream of inspiration. This time the guitar work is more impressive than ever and those 11 songs are a real 'tour de force'. With this new album they're not afraid to take the hit from the more conservative audience but that's what it means to be extreme!" - Vorph, SAMAEL

"Innovation, wits and a feral 'no compromise' attitude is what brands the greatest of bands. 'Illud Divinum Insanus' is all that and a leap further! Hail Morbid Angel!" - Rune "Blasphemer" Eriksen, AVA INFERI, ex MAYHEM

"Morbid Angel still prove they can continue their legacy and deliver their madness with a skill so elite. The metal scene has no choice but to give back the crown to the undisputable kings of death metal! MORBID! MORBID! MORBID!" - Anders 'Blakkheim' Nystr

Edited by kendo

• Paid Members

yeh this thing is creating an insane backlash...i had a little listen through youtube but i'll have to get hold of the full thing.

I think people are hating on it simply cause it sounds nothing like Morbid Angel, and fans wanted a new 'Morbid Angel' album...madness.

• Paid Members

off the point of Morbid Angel, but the sun is shining and im slamming this...

Kerbdog-Kerbdog.jpg

Kerbdog's first album, if anyone here has not heard this album i recommend you go find...the band ain't a straight metal band, i guess they'd get lumped into the same category of bands like Therapy? but there's definately a strong metal influence in there (not so much on their second album On The Turn which is also amazing). One of the most criminally underrated british bands of all time without doubt.

Kerbdog-Kerbdog.jpg

Kerbdog's first album, if anyone here has not heard this album i recommend you go find...the band ain't a straight metal band, i guess they'd get lumped into the same category of bands like Therapy? but there's definately a strong metal influence in there (not so much on their second album On The Turn which is also amazing). One of the most criminally underrated british bands of all time without doubt.

YES! With a mofoing yes and added extra yes with knobs on ( but you knew this anyway Ebb :p )

The base line for '

' is immense

and

Are among the standouts on the first album.

'On the Turn' is epic in its own right and though is more Post- Grunge than flat out metal is well worth tracking down

Kerbdog went the way of the dodo when Cormac and co owed the record company a million quid iirc! They came back as 'Wilt' with a more pop and rock sound with a different bassist and their two albums are also very good. Bastinado and My Medicine

Left Side Brain are also worth checking out as they are heavily influnenced by Kerbdog. Equal and Opposite, Action Potential and Collider are well worth a listen for some insane riffage

Finally there is also Pledge- A Tribute to Kerbdog which is a load of Kerbdog covers which is pretty cool as well

Erm will get out of the fan boy mode now :p

So, after giving the new Morbid Angel album a couple of listens over the last couple of days, Ive had a chance to take it all in.

To say that this is going to polarise fans is beyond an understatement. Lots of people are going to hate it on the basis that this is "not a Morbid Angel" album. However, I commend the band for taking a chance with it. At the end of the day, its been 8 years since 'Heretic' was released, and they have obviously had to try and show some kind of progression since that last album, having had David Vincent come back to the band. Having David Vincent back in on Bass/Vocals does not hurt the album one bit, his vocals are actually understandable compared to Steve Tucker's. And Tim Yeung puts in another great performance (as he always does) on the drums. But whilst 'Heretic' was a very back-to-basics, stripped down juggernaut of an album, 'Illud Divinum Insanus' seems to go too far the other way. The somewhat 'industrial' experimentation of the album is also very much its downfall. Whilst the most synth-laden tracks ('Too Extreme!' and 'Destructos vs. The Earth/ Attack') are not bad tracks, they do out of place under the Morbid Angel banner. Don't get me wrong, this is not an unrecognisable, complete diveation to industrial-mess like Danzig's 'Danizig 5: Blackacidevil', its mearly a gamble that does not pay-off, in the same way that Megadeth's ironically named 'Risk' album didn't work. Rather than a progressional transistion to a new sound, Morbid Angel seem to have done what Metallica did (when they tried to regress their sound) in 2003 with 'St Anger' and go too far, too quickly.

Narrow-minded, ignorant 'fans' of metal will shit all over this and try to tell Morbid Angel (of all bands) how they should be making a death metal album (i.e. its only death metal if it has 56876434654 drum beats per minute), but ultimately, the band have tried something new, rather than just sticking to what brought them to the dance 22 years ago. Sometimes, a shift in sound can be a great thing (Pantera completly changed their sound in the early 90's, as did Testament in the later 90's) and sometimes the gamble does not pay off (Machine Head's 'Burning Red', In Flames 'Soundtrack To Your Escape'), but the band should not be held in contempt because of this poor showing. At the end of it all, they are still Morbid fucking Angel, and one of the biggest selling and most influential death metal bands to ever exist

Edited by KingOfMetal

I've given the Morbid Angel album one listen. I can see what you're saying and i do like bands trying different things rather than sticking to the same formula. But in the end it's a painfully average (at best) album. And really disappointing. I don't think it would be getting quite so much bad press if it wasn't Morbid Angel.

The vocals are very Max Cavalera-like, the song 'Radikult' reminded me of Soulfly's cover of 'Beautiful People'. I think my favorite songs were 'Destructos VS the Earth / Attack' and 'Profundis - Mea Culpa'. But nothing really stands out.

As i said i still can't wait to see them live this summer, as i never have before. I just hope they keep to 1 or 2 tracks from this album.

• Paid Members

Kerbdog-Kerbdog.jpg

YES! With a mofoing yes and added extra yes with knobs on ( but you knew this anyway Ebb :p )

The base line for '

' is immense

and

Are among the standouts on the first album.

'On the Turn' is epic in its own right and though is more Post- Grunge than flat out metal is well worth tracking down

Kerbdog went the way of the dodo when Cormac and co owed the record company a million quid iirc! They came back as 'Wilt' with a more pop and rock sound with a different bassist and their two albums are also very good. Bastinado and My Medicine

Left Side Brain are also worth checking out as they are heavily influnenced by Kerbdog. Equal and Opposite, Action Potential and Collider are well worth a listen for some insane riffage

Finally there is also Pledge- A Tribute to Kerbdog which is a load of Kerbdog covers which is pretty cool as well

Erm will get out of the fan boy mode now :p

:thumbsup: