MMA: Past Fight Discussion

Egg Shen

There were a few squabbles breaking out during UFC 70 but I put that down more to MMA being in its infancy over here back then and just attracting tough guy wannabes who don't really like the sport and just like the violence.

Also, at UFC 38 wasn't there a slight altercation between Lee Murray and Tito Ortiz? Depending on who you believe Ortiz got knocked out.

Personally, I have found the crowds at small/local MMA shows to be the biggest concentrated collection of wankers I've known. Full of Two Can Van Damme's giving it the Billy Big Bollocks, total wankers. The ratio of cunts is higher than that of football or boxing events.

Also, at UFC 38 wasn't there a slight altercation between Lee Murray and Tito Ortiz? Depending on who you believe Ortiz got knocked out.

Ortiz claims a slip, other claim not. That was something that started over nothing, Liddel was involved as well somehow.

There was a fight when I went to see Ricky Hatton, but that was only a minor scuffle. I think CurryAngel makes a point, the type of fans who love it solely for the violence turn up at the start then slowly fade away, I think that is a common rule worldwide as well.

Darts attracts the worse fans though, every time at Manchester Arena there is a proper fight when I go

Edited by jimufctna24

• Paid Members

Yeah the Murray-Ortiz thing is well documented. Its in Matt Hughes' book, Pat Miletich apparently saw the whole thing. From Miletich's account Tito took a swing at Murray, missed and got lit up with about a 5 punch combo and fell face first in an alleyway.

That first time over here was said to be pretty crazy. Miletich also claimed on the same night as Tito-Murray, he saw Chuck Liddell (who was being set about by drunken troublemakers) with his back against a wall dropping cunts for fun. Well, self defence but I bet he enjoyed it.

Funnily enough, Josh Barnett was on about that first UFC in London recently on Rogan's podcast. He was there cornering Ian Freeman for the Mir fight and said there were a fair few Brits who were getting lairy with the UFC crew on that trip.

Barnett does a cracking Cockney accent by the way.

I'm amazed they even ran a show over here back in 2002. I'll be honest I'd only heard of the UFC through Ken Shamrock and had only seen 1-4 due to them being in the wrestling section of the local video shop. Wonder if it was worth their while financially?

I think I believe the Matt Hughes/Pat Militech version of the story and Lee Murray is a complete psychopath.

*Anderson Silva: Like Water;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3DSpUC68Us

Just want to say thank you for posting this, I haven't gotten around to watching it yet, but I tried to rip it from Youtube a few months ago, and the video had been taken down for copyright reasons or something. But yeah, excellent, much appreciated.

I'm amazed they even ran a show over here back in 2002. I'll be honest I'd only heard of the UFC through Ken Shamrock and had only seen 1-4 due to them being in the wrestling section of the local video shop. Wonder if it was worth their while financially?

I doubt it, the company was bleeding money at this point.

Plus Sky who covered over here dropped it soon after.

• 2 weeks later...

Good article, thanks for posting.

Surprised you never knew that EBB. Rare you don't know something about past MMA.

Another fun little story, Ken fell out with Bob Shamrock for a week after this fight due to how he performed. Plus, he had a big magazine lined up to do a feature on him, something like USA today and it was seen he was going to be mega-famous. They ended up not doing it after the fight.

I am currently reading Frank Shamrocks book, so far it tops BJ Penn's as my favorite MMA autobiography. I will write a review in the thread once I am finished.

Edited by jimufctna24

• Paid Members

I forgot Frank even had a book out. And I've had Chael's book sitting in my room for about 2 months waiting to be read. Anyone read John McCarthy's book? I'm thinking of getting it. Any good?

Hoping to start my Big Nog career review sometime this week as well.

• Paid Members
Good article, thanks for posting.

Surprised you never knew that EBB. Rare you don't know something about past MMA.

Another fun little story, Ken fell out with Bob Shamrock for a week after this fight due to how he performed. Plus, he had a big magazine lined up to do a feature on him, something like USA today and it was seen he was going to be mega-famous. They ended up not doing it after the fight.

I am currently reading Frank Shamrocks book, so far it tops BJ Penn's as my favorite MMA autobiography. I will write a review in the thread once I am finished.

I didnt, i knew it was a terrible fight but i never knew of the 'rule change'.

I gotta get McCarthey's and Shamrocks books.

I am up to the Cung Le fight in Franks book, I will post more when I finish it but for now it has been consistently great all the way through.

Frank mentions this in his book, it is when Baroni originally pulled out of fighting him. This is just typical Frank Shamrock for me. Arrogant, but what a showman. You would want to be him. The stuff about Dana makes me piss myself, no wonder Dana has held a grudge.

This is before the Renzo loss, you can tell as he speaks like a man who has not lost in a decade.

Edited by jimufctna24