MMA: Past Fight Discussion

Egg Shen

Barnett is awesome.

I loved the Chuck/Wandy fight. Chuck must have thought it was close as fuck in his head to be shooting in for takedowns. That was a first for me, never saw him do that. I might go watch 79 now actually.

I think Chuck might have went for the takedowns late on cause he'd knackered himself out and wanted to keep Wand guessing.I haven't seen the fight in a while now but I seem to recall one time he goes fucking beserk trying to put Wandy away,Wand survives barely and Chuck's breathing hard and looking at the clock and stuff.He'd punched himself out.

I think he knew he was probably ahead but didn't wanna risk totally gassing out and Wand getting a late come from behind KO Scott Smith style.

But yeah,an all time classic.I'm gonna have to watch it again soon too.

Yeah I think you might be right on that one after re-watching it. Still a shock seeing a takedown from Chuck.

• Paid Members

Yeah,makes you wonder though if Chuck had used his wrestling more in his career he might not be in such a bad position now.He'd have been less predictable and he wouldn't be getting hit as much so his chin might still hold up.

It's helped Randy,he hasn't had much of a chin for a while now but his style isn't so risky.It's sad to say but Randy's last 2 wins - Brandon Vera and James Toney would probably knock Chuck out at this stage.

Then again,standing and knocking people out was what made him so popular in the first place.

Edited by wandshogun09

Barnett vs. Rizzo was superb. Pedro Rizzo was involved in most of my early favourite heavyweight fights actually.

I just watched UFC 84 and since I have the memory of a goldfish, I don't have much to say about it. I did think that Machida vs. Ortiz was horrible. I'm really not liking what I'm seeing from Machida. Obviously good, but I just don't like watching him.

Really enjoyed watching Sherk vs. Penn. Also Carwin's first UFC fight. POW !

I've got my UFC 83 thoughts on here somewhere. I'll throw them on here when I find 'em.

UFC 83

The rematch of the one fight from the shows I haven't seen that made me shout "WHIT THE FUCK ?!" at the result.

Mac Danzig vs. Mark Bocek

Goldberg : "What a fight !" Couldn't agree more in all honesty. Mark Bocek had a really good showing here I thought. I thought he definately had the second round won. He was clearly hurt at several times during the fight and the defence of Bocek at these times was brilliant. It was the knees of Danzig which did the most damage in the end. The one in the third round was the beginning of the end for Bocek. It was after that when Danzig really unloaded for the finish as he smelled blood. I loved the bizarre moment when at the end of the second round, the fans were counting down with the clock. I didn't realise they were fans of the Royal Rumble.

Charles McCarthy vs. Michael Bisping

Chainsaw Charlie ? Cool. McCarthy pays for doing nothing but covering up when Bisping comes forward. McCarthy got a cracking takedown in there, but that was his only action in the round. Bisping just gave McCarthy a beating that he'll remember for a while.

Kalib Starnes vs. Nate Quarry

Have I finally reached the infamous Running Man fight ? Quarry at the end of the second round gives a thumbs down. If only that meant that Kalib was going to be executed in the middle of the octagon. It's an odd fight. The first round in particular is hideous stuff, and Kenny Florian searches in vain to find an excuse for the tactics of Kalin Starnes. By the third round Florian just focuses on how good Quarry is, although he does find it hard to ignore Starnes' tactics. The fans chant GSP during this, which sort of puts me in mind of the fans at Wrestlemania XX chanting "Hogan" during the Goldberg/Lesnar match. Anyways, an odd fight, but an intriguing one.

Travis Lutter vs. Rich Franklin

Lutter uses Nickelback's "Rockstar" as his music meaning that I want Franklin to cave his fucking face in. He does do that in the second round which makes me very pleased. Lutter was fucking knackered in there and Franklin basically had free reign to do as he liked. Lutter grabbed a foot and did so well in the first round. In the second round, Franklin was able to just walk away from Lutter whenever he grabbed a foot, which basically summed the fight up. I also want to mention the AWESOME counter to the arm bar that Franklin did in the first round when that was in deep. Good fun fight.

George St. Pierre vs. Matt Serra

The audience is nuclear in favour of GSP. Telling factor here was GSP going RIGHT to the takedown, not wanting the shocker that happened in the first fight between the two. He got him down there and that was where the fight was won. I remember watching a couple of earlier fights with GSP where he completely dominated and I said that he was probably the best guy in the UFC to watch when he's on that kind of form and he was definately in that form. It was kind of like the last fight where the cardio of Serra really let him down in the second round to the point that he was never going to come back into the fight. Great showing from GSP though and I could watch it over and over again.

Jonathan Goulet vs. Kuniyoshi Hironaka

It was only a round and a half of action, but fucking hell, that was a GOOD round and a half of action. Goulet was having it far too easy in the first half of the opening round, but Naka got more and more confident as he went on. Florian seemed to suggest nerves being the reason for the bad start, and I can see where he was coming from. In the second round both men just exploded on each other, but it seemed like it was the big knees that hurt Naka and then the big right hands finished the job. Incredibly entertaining stuff.

UFC 83

Travis Lutter vs. Rich Franklin

Lutter uses Nickelback's "Rockstar" as his music meaning that I want Franklin to cave his fucking face in. He does do that in the second round which makes me very pleased. Lutter was fucking knackered in there and Franklin basically had free reign to do as he liked. Lutter grabbed a foot and did so well in the first round. In the second round, Franklin was able to just walk away from Lutter whenever he grabbed a foot, which basically summed the fight up. I also want to mention the AWESOME counter to the arm bar that Franklin did in the first round when that was in deep. Good fun fight.

Yeah, that escape was great. Travis Lutter seemed to gas very quickly in that fight.

George St. Pierre vs. Matt Serra

The audience is nuclear in favour of GSP. Telling factor here was GSP going RIGHT to the takedown, not wanting the shocker that happened in the first fight between the two. He got him down there and that was where the fight was won. I remember watching a couple of earlier fights with GSP where he completely dominated and I said that he was probably the best guy in the UFC to watch when he's on that kind of form and he was definately in that form. It was kind of like the last fight where the cardio of Serra really let him down in the second round to the point that he was never going to come back into the fight. Great showing from GSP though and I could watch it over and over again.

Was this the fight with the brutal knee's to the side against the cage? That was some nasty shit.

I forget about the fight for the most part, so can't remember if it had the knees.

I love when someone gasses like that because you know that the shit is going to hit the fan when the other fighter decides to take advantage.

As I said, I'd watched UFC 84 away from the PC and can't remember much other than what I put in this thread a while ago, so ...

UFC 85

They say at the start of the night that Thiago Alves didn't make weight so it's a catchweight fight at 174.

Brandon Vera vs. Fabricio Werdum

I've seen Big Dan get a lot of abuse as a referee. I did think that it was ended a little early. Normally the referee will give chances to the fighter to improve their position, but he just stepped right into the fight and stopped it. Watching the replays, I can see even more why the fight was stopped. As for the fight itself, Werdum was sort of edging it there. Vera was finding his feet in the stand up and had Werdum rocked a couple of times, but Werdum got a couple of vital takedowns which would have probably edged things in his favour. Immaterial I suppose. It was a fun round before the fight was ended.

Nate Marquardt vs. Thales Leites

The fans sing along to a bit of Bob Marley as Leites walks to the octagon. Cool. That was a fucking terrific fight there. It was a shame that Nate had two points deducted. You can see why the first point went but not the second. The fight ending with a Piledriver was magnificent, but not more magnificent than Leites doing the Hawk no-sell and just standing right back up. Nate Marquardt dominated the last two rounds, but you have to wonder how much of that was down to the big knee because the first round was really close. Certainly much much closer than the two that followed it really. I had it was 28-27 Thales Leites as I thought he won the first round. Ah well, unfortunate for Nate but that was awesome.

Jason Lambert vs. Luiz Cane

It seems to be a bit clumsy from Lambert. The two big shots that dropped him initially came from him just coming forward and swinging wildly. Cane basically picked his shots and his left hook was brutal. Impressive as it could have been from Cane.

Marcus Davis vs. Mick Swick

Mexican wave ? I suppose if you're gonna shit on a fight, might as well do so in style. I think I enjoyed the fight just about as much as they did. It wasn't without it's moments. When Swick realised he was in bother with the point deduction he just started swinging for the fences and watching Davis scramble like a mad man to avoid it was good. There was some good exchanges when they were on the feet. Davis looked particularly dangerous with the left hands, but Mike Swick was just completely dominant. Most of the fight was spent on the ground with Swick trying to get past the guard of Davis, mostly unsuccessfully. Not a great fight.

Michael Bisping vs. Jason Day

The crowd is pretty loud for the opening graphic. Bisping looked WAY up for it pre-fight. The beating he laid onto Day was absolutely sensational. It felt as if the barrage of punches just kept going and going and going. I kinda laughed when he got the back and decided just to throw him about and land more rights and lefts. That was a terrific showing from Bisping.

Thiago Alves vs. Matt Hughes

That first round wasn't great when Hughes had the control. As for Alves, whenever they were standing or he was in the dominant position, he was explosive. Not much else to say.

Matt Wiman vs. Thiago Tavares

That was a great round and a half of action there. The first round was really good fun. There was a stunning moment when Wiman rolled through and tried for the heel hook. The second round then seen the two men completely unload on each other. Both men were rocked at times, and they both seemed to use the "attack is the best form of defence" tactics on each other by swinging for the fences whenever they were in trouble. Unfortunately it didn't help Tavares as he just ended up eating shot after shot. That was a right fun fight though.

Jorge Rivera vs. Martin Kampmann

Was there a problem with the leg of Kampmann ? Anyways, you wouldn't know there was any problem here as it was a pretty good showing from Kampmann. Once he got the back of Rivera you could see the submission coming. Very good showing from Martin Kampmann.

The Ultimate Fighter 7 Finale

Matt Riddle vs. Dante Rivera

This marks the first time I have actually seen "DEBUT" next to someone's name on the graphic at the bottom of the screen for Riddle. This must have been a very frustrating fight for Dante Rivera. He just couldn't catch a break in the fight. Constantly up against the fence and Riddle managed to keep him there and knee him over and over again. Kept trying for takedowns and Riddle just didn't let it happen. He went for big left hands and found himself on his back after each occaision with Riddle on top of him. Matt Riddle looked very impressive in his official MMA debut.

Spencer Fisher vs. Jeremy Stephens

I thought that Fisher did enough in the first two rounds. I didn't think either man was really dominant in the stand up so when the fight went to the ground, Fisher was the one that was the one that was dominant which means that's where I think the fight was won. He kept on giving up the mount which I thought was confusing. The only thing I can think of was that he was looking for the finish and he wasn't doing enough in the mount. Either way whatever he did worked. It was a fun fight.

Diego Sanchez vs. Luigi Fioravanti

That was a really enjoyable fight. Fioravanti did a great job of making sure the fight didn't go down to the ground and any time that Diego got a really dangerous position on the ground, Fioravanti was able to make it away from the position very quickly. I suppose that this didn't do him too much good though, because for the second round and the third, Diego Sanchez dominated the fight standing up, rocking Luigi a couple of times and knocking him down too. Don't know how much of that was down to an injury to Luigi's foot or knee, because when he hinted at that, things took a bad turn for him.

C B Dollaway vs. Amir Sadollah

That definately looked like a tap from CB Dollaway. Even if it wasn't, fuck it, it looked like it was as clear as day. Deserved what he got for leaving his arm in for about three days anyways. CB had the fight controlled on the ground and was able to be dominant there, but when he was on his feet with CB on the ground, he seemed to be asking to be submitted and that's what happened.

Kendall Grove vs. Evan Tanner

Evan Tanner has a pretty terrific beard. I couldn't help but root for Evan Tanner during this fight. Evan Tanner took a hell of a beating. Grove unloaded with some big shots, the highlight being a terrific knee while one of his legs was being held. Even when Tanner had him clinched against the fence he landed some big elbows. In the third round though, Tanner came out swinging in the third and rocked Grove a few times and it was almost a lazarus comeback as he really did look hurt during the second round. It was a cracking main event for the show though.

The only thing which hasn't been mentioned about Liddell/Silva was in the first round when Liddell hit Silva who backtracked like he was rocked for Liddell to come storming in only for Silva to hit him a couple of times and smile after playing possum. I really liked that. Great fight and one of the few which lived up to the hype. Liddell's last truly great moment for sure.

On the subject of Evan Tanner, it was a real shame. Tanner but mainly Randy Couture truly got me into following MMA and it was so nice to see Tanner win the UFC Middleweight Championship at UFC 51. Did UFC do anything to mark his passing other than a mention on their official website? I thought there was a bit of a campaign going to get him inducted into the UFC Hall of Fame.

Edited by The Natural

The only thing which hasn't been mentioned about Liddell/Silva was in the first round when Liddell hit Silva who backtracked like he was rocked for Liddell to come storming in only for Silva to hit him a couple of times and smile after playing possum. I really liked that. Great fight and one of the few which lived up to the hype. Liddell's last truly great moment for sure.

Christ, I have no idea why I never mentioned that. As soon as you mentioned it I thought to myself "oh aye ! that was brilliant !". The look on Silva's face was brilliant, almost as if to say "haha, gotcha".

UFC 86

Tyson Griffin vs. Marcus Aurelio

Yass. Tyson Griffin. Love watching this guy. His fights seem to be almost like chess matches at times. Very tactical and he knows his stuff. No amount of running around after the fight is gonna help you Marcus ya daft cunt. Marcus was timing his jab really well early, catching Tyson any time he was coming in, but when Tyson found his range and felt Marcus out, he was able to come in and pick his spots. He had Marcus wobbled a few times with the leg kicks and was in and out very quickly. Marcus did look very dangerous off of his back and almost got the submission a couple of times as Tyson was a bit wild from the top position, but he did a good job of avoiding them. Fun fight.

Josh Koscheck vs. Chris Lytle

The majority of this fight was Josh Koscheck landing a beating on Chris Lytle. Maybe not in the first round. Josh did control from the top but he didn't get much in the way of effective striking. He did open Chris up in the second round though and that was a nasty nasty cut. Chris just kept on coming forward though. Have to wonder why Josh wasn't coming forward too. He isn't a bad striker at all but he just let a tired Chris Lytle come at him. Loved the visual of the sinister looking Lytle covered in blood after the clinch against the fence was broken with 15 seconds to go in the fight. Wasn't a great fight by any means but an intriguing one.

Joe Stevenson vs. Gleison Tibau

Both of these guys looked very dangerous on the ground. Tibau more than Stevenson in this particular fight, but Joe did have Tibau in bother at one point before the finish, and that should have been enough of a warning for Tibau, but clearly it wasn't. Tibau did look good and he looked dominant. I liked it when he had the submission attempt for over a minute and was just determined that he wasn't going to let it go. It was a good fight while it lasted.

Ricardo Almeida vs. Patrick Cote

Almeida was getting tired in the second round. At first I thought that he was just wary of exchanging strikes with Cote, but it was becoming clear that he actually wanted no part of Cote. Any time Cote even hinted at coming forward, Ricardo Almeida's face was telling. He was big time worried. Which makes the putting the hands down even more bizarre. The fans seemingly had enough of Ricardo and started chanting for Cote and you can't really blame them. Cote was looking for shots and Almeida just didn't look interested untill there was about a minute to go and that's clearly not enough. Not a great fight by any stretch.

Forrest Griffin vs. Quinton "Rampage" Jackson

I've been looking forward to this fight for fucking yonks btw. That last round was horrible to score so I'm just going to forget about it, but I felt pretty sure about my 38-37 to Jackson in the first four rounds. If I had a gun to my head, I'd probably give the last round to Forrest. I say this before the decision is made btw.

Well, I can't say I agree with that. Although I'll say that the fourth round might have been a big thing. I thought Rampage being able to escape the submission attempts easily and his domination of the round outside of that point would have been enough. I had Griffin on a 10-8 round in the second round as well and with those two rounds I could see how the decision went how it went. It was a very, very close fight though and certainly not a decision that I'm going to moan about. The fight was certainly terrific although not quite as good as some people had told me it was going to be.

Melvin Guillard vs. Dennis Siver

I suppose the best way to round this one off would be to watch someone getting the fuck punched out of them. Guillard had Siver rocked within seconds. Simple stuff for Guillard.

UFC 87

Demian Maia vs. Jason MacDonald

This was a terrific fight. Jason MacDonald showed some real heart in the first round. He was caught incredibly deep with the Triangle Choke and Jason stayed in that for a very long time and then managed to escape and then Demian also managed to get a Rear Naked Choke and Jason managed to escape from that. I also liked near the end of the fight when both men exchanged Guillotine Choke attempts and then exchanged full mounts. The second round was mainly Maia laying a pounding Jason MacDonald. In the end it was probably a pretty comfortable win for Maia but he knew he was in a fight and full credit to MacDonald.

Kenny Florian vs. Roger Huerta

You can have that as two great fights on this card out of two so far. Kenny Florian had this the whole way. He was the only one to do anything on the ground but I liked his stand up as well. Huerta as the aggressor kept on pinning Kenny against the fence and Kenny would just swing and then duck ( usually in that order ) his way out of the corner and make Roger Huerta do the chasing yet again. When the fight DID go down to the ground, Kenny got the back twice and flattened Huerta both times and came close to locking in the choke. Moment of the fight was when Kenny kneed Huerta in the third round, and Roger just stood still, hands down and spat at the ground and went mental. Another great fight here.

Manny Gamburyan vs. Rob Emerson

Rob Emerson comes out right away and knocks out Manny. That took less than 10 seconds I think. That's how you do it ? He was definately knocked out there.

So far, so good.

Cheick Kongo vs. Dan Evensen

I can't say that Kongo being in the half guard doing the square root of almost fuck all is something that appeals to me. They did a bit of work in the clinch though. Plus, Kongo's quickfire barrage of hammer fists that finished the fight was kinda impressive. Dan Evensen didn't look very good at all here though.

Heath Herring vs. Brock Lesnar

I could remember this being an uber-exciting beating from Lesnar. It wasn't actually like that. Not that it wasn't a thoroughly satisfying ass kicking from Lesnar though. He completely dominating Herring who had zero answer for Lesnar. The face of Herring's face even just after round one said it all. Lesnar just got on him and rode him. Didn't matter what position he had him in. On the ground he'd just punch Herring in the face an awful lot and Herring just had a nightmare getting into a better position and then when they ended up in the clinch, Lesnar landed some brutal knees to the body, a couple of which rocked Herring. Impressive fight for Lesnar.

George St. Pierre vs. Jon Fitch

I'm turning into a bit of a fan of Fitch from what I've seen so far, but even at that, I really really enjoyed this fight. GSP is one of them guys who looks incredibly good when he's in control in a fight. He laid in a horrible beating on the feet and he just rode Fitch on the ground. Have to give Fitch some credit though. There were at least two occaisions where GSP could have finished the fight and Fitch did enough in defence to make sure that he couldn't do so, and Fitch also arguably even snatched a round, which is a hell of an effort considering how amazing GSP was in this fight. A great way to end a great show.

• Paid Members

Love the recent reviews Haraga.

It's reminding me of some great fights I'd forgot about like Wiman vs Tavares from UFC 85.That was a fucking great little fight that I was lucky enough to see live.

I loved the way Wiman was having a rough time and then between rounds Chuck was in Wiman's corner just staring a hole through Wiman not saying a word.Me and my brother were saying "what the fuck's wrong with Chuck" then Wiman came out like a nutter for round 2 and got the KO.

wiman-vs-tavares.jpg

We were convinced The Iceman stare possessed Wiman.

And I'll add my praise for Maia vs MacDonald from UFC 87.That was one of the most fast paced,excting displays of BJJ ever in an MMA fight.MacDonald did better on the ground than anyone else in MMA has against Maia,really strong showing he just came up a little short.Awesome fight though,one of my favourite fights from the last few years and it rarely gets mentioned for some reason.

I'd recommend anyone who wants to be check out a great grappling style fight to start with this one and Diego Sanchez vs Nick Diaz from the TUF 2 finale.Both classics.

Edited by wandshogun09