MMA: Past Fight Discussion

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

oh, im getting confused!

im thinking Bustamante/Lindland where Big John stopped the fight thinking Lindland had tapped, Lindland claimed he didn't, Big John re-started it then Bustamante tapped him again.

bonkers, Big John isn't perfect :crazy:

• Paid Members

Yeah the Sakuraba thing wasn't a restart. What happened was Sakuraba vs Conan Silviera took place in the tournament semi final. Big John made a rare cock up and stopped the fight prematurely and Conan won. Big John admitted that he'd stopped the fight too early on reviewing the tape. And as Tank Abbott was hurt and couldn't do the final, they decided to just re-do Saku vs Conan in the final.

The Bustamante vs Lindland thing was a right weird one. That should've gone down as two wins on Bustamante's record.

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members

Yeah the Sakuraba thing wasn't a restart. What happened was Sakuraba vs Conan Silviera took place in the tournament semi final. Big John made a rare cock up and stopped the fight prematurely and Conan won. Big John admitted that he'd stopped the fight too early on reviewing the tape. And as Tank Abbott was hurt and couldn't do the final, they decided to just re-do Saku vs Conan in the final.

Yeah, that's it. It's weird though because I'm sure they say on the broadcast that the result of the first fight was to stand. Looking at it now though it looks like it was over turned to a no contest.

I've never seen UFC 37. It's one of the very few cards from that era that I never felt the need to track down. Looking back at the line-up on Wiki, I probably should have done. It had plenty of names on it - Lindland, Bustamante, Penn, Ricco, Lawler, Baroni, etc. 

UFC 42 is another that I've only seen clips of. 

• Paid Members

Just looked up the UFC 42 card to jog my memory. Hermes Franca vs Rich Crunkilton is a real forgotten gem from that period. I remember that being a great fight. Genki Sudo vs Bang Ludwig was decent as well but I really thought the judges got it wrong at the time, I had Genki winning that one. Pete Spratt upsetting Robbie Lawler was the shocker on that card for me. It was an anti climax the way it ended but Spratt winning surprised me and I didn't see it until a good 2/3 years after the fact.

I'm sure 42 was the show where you had the Joe Rogan and Phil Baroni commentary team. It's probably worth a look for that alone.

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members

I'm sure I've got the DVD lying around somewhere. Might actually whack it on later when the women and children are in bed.

Speaking of UFC 42, here's a youngish Rogan chatting shit after the show. With a guest appearance by Jeremy Horn. I remember this from years ago. Takes me back....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&persist_app=1&noapp=1&v=9_BlX8PmTe0

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members

Yeah watching a 40 year old man, in black leggings, called Randy lying on top of a big black bloke in the missionary position for what felt like a fortnight wasn't the UFC's finest hour. That fight really was rotten.

Couture is a funny one. He's had some of the very best fights in heavyweight history like the classic with Pedro Rizzo (their first fight) and the incredible fight with Big Nog from 2009. Then you see his snoozers with Maurice Smith, Brandon Vera and Tito Ortiz. THEN you add in the third layer of fights like the James Toney farce or the one with Coleman where they both looked about 94.

No wonder Randy kept fighting so long though. For a while there I lost track of how many different 20-something hot blondes he'd have on his arm when you'd see him at ringside. Bet that's died down now he's just a grandad with a gym membership and not the badass slaying giants on telly in the mid 2000s.

• Paid Members

Randy was a boring fighter no doubt but he was in some exciting fights, it all depended on the opponent. The Couture/Sylvia was a poor fight if you break it down but its seen as a bit of a classic because of how the crowd reacted and the circumstances going in.

• Paid Members

Couture vs Sylvia was a weird fight. The first 30 seconds were amazing. I could watch that opening bit where Randy drops Tim on his fat arse once a day, every day for the rest of my days and I don't think it'd get any less enjoyable for me. But the remaining 24:30 of the fight is a bit crap really.

Like you say, it's the context of that fight that makes it one so many have a soft spot for. I think by that point everyone was sick of Sylvia's awful title run but there didn't seem to be any heavyweight in the UFC that was going to end his reign. The only hope was Arlovski but Sylvia had just won the trilogy against him so that basically eliminated him for good as a challenger as long as Sylvia was champ. So we were subjected to abysmal title fights like the Jeff Monson one. That's what heavyweight had come to. I truly believed all the heavyweights capable of spanking Sylvia were locked up in Pride. I was just ready to give up hope. And nobody was picking Randy to come out of retirement, after getting KO'd for a second time at light heavy by Liddell, to have a chance.

It was one of the most satisfying fight results ever for me. Randy was never one of my favourites or anything but the fact he ended that stinker of a title reign, and the way he did it, it was lovely. That moment when Randy knocks him on his arse as well...it's got to be up there for loudest crowd reactions ever in a UFC fight. The place went fucking mental with sheer joy that maybe this Tim Sylvia nightmare is over.

Aye, it was a triumph in the moment, but it isn't one to dig out of the archives. You can't re-create the suspense that was present on the night. Even in the 3rd and 4th round, there was always a slight chance that Couture would wander into a Sylvia right hand. I was counting down the seconds from round 3 onward,