DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently #2

The Cum Doctor

• Paid Members
Watched Darren Aronofsky's Pi recently too. I'm a big fan of Requiem for a Dream and this was another astounding piece of film, the disintegration of the human mind was so involving.

Pi is one of my favourite movies ever. It's a brilliant piece of film-making - Aronofsky's use of black and white and that grainy lighting really give the whole thing a claustrophobic, intense atmosphere, helped massively by the soundtrack.

Edited by Carbomb

• Paid Members
Anyone a fan of Richard Linklater's films? I've been on a right kick with him recently, Waking Life is awesome. The visuals are amazing, its freaky, dreamlike and a strange wandering through the imagination. Also, Before Sunrise and Before Sunset are interesting little flicks. Slacker's another fine example, although the student film look and shite acting can get annoying.

been meaning to watch more Linklater films, i have Slacker but i still ain't watched it. I'll get on it!

The Zombie Dead is absolutely amazing. I'm made up to have seen a mention of it on here! I still don't know what it is about them, but no matter how many times I watch it the zombies in that film are really unsettling. And it also features the naughtiest boy in any film ever.

My mates and me watched it on VHS years ago originally, when it was called "Nights of Terror". So we looked for it for ages, and it was only when I doubled-checked IMDB I found it it was on DVD and immediately bought it. They are some fine unsettling zombies, you're right.

Last night:

Yor, The Hunter From The Future

Super cheap Italian / Turkish film from the early 80s, about some caveman-style fella who's actually an alien visitor, or something. Basically, two thirds a dinosaur-fighting film, one-third a sci-fi adventure. As much as I wanted to hate it, it was awesome.

• Paid Members

Prey - basically, it's Cujo but with lions. Not a bad little flick, basic set up is a family get stranded in South Africa on a safari trip and their jeep gets surrounded by lions. The actual lion attacks are fairly suspensful which was cool, but the two kids in the film just made me wanted to kill myself, super annoying. The movie also stars Peter "Robocop" Weller, but he kind of takes a back seat to the peeps in the jeep. I wouldn't recommend it, but if you enjoyed Cujo or like 'creature' features (even though the creatures are very much a real commodity in this) it might be worth your time.

Neon Maniacs

A film that doesn't so much end as the cast and crew just seem to have gotten bored and left the set en masse. Weird mutants with the stupidest weakness ever (they

<-- click on 'spoiler' to show/hide the spoiler

dissolve on contact with water, the planet's most abundant element

[close spoiler]

");document.close();) terrorise some kids, for some reason. Still, it had its moments, especially the incidental music, which bore no relation to the action on screen.

Anyone a fan of Richard Linklater's films? I've been on a right kick with him recently, Waking Life is awesome. The visuals are amazing, its freaky, dreamlike and a strange wandering through the imagination. Also, Before Sunrise and Before Sunset are interesting little flicks. Slacker's another fine example, although the student film look and shite acting can get annoying.

been meaning to watch more Linklater films, i have Slacker but i still ain't watched it. I'll get on it!

I much prefer Slacker to Waking Life. Visuals aside, I thought he went up his own arse a bit with that one. Sunrise/Sunset are the best, although I quite liked Tape, Suburbia and School of Rock too. Dazed and Confused is overrated.

I much prefer Slacker to Waking Life. Visuals aside, I thought he went up his own arse a bit with that one. Sunrise/Sunset are the best, although I quite liked Tape, Suburbia and School of Rock too. Dazed and Confused is overrated.

Yeah, I found Dazed and Confused very overrated too. And Waking Life clearly isn't the worst film ever made, purely on any technical level. You don't have to like it, but the visuals are clearly stunning. I've not seen Tape or Suburbia, but would like to check them out.

Watched Easy Rider yesterday, what a film that is. Loved the acting, the scenery, the music, the bikes, the drugs. Awesome.

Yeah, I found Dazed and Confused very overrated too. And Waking Life clearly isn't the worst film ever made, purely on any technical level. You don't have to like it, but the visuals are clearly stunning.

Except they aren't. They're disorientating and annoying. The film itself is nothing but pretentious monologues about nothing. Anyone who actually thinks Waking Life has something to say or connects with it on any level needs to throw themselves in front of a train.