DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently #2

The Cum Doctor

Jeesus, that takes me back with all the Cocteau stuff. Havent seen that since A-Level days. My French tutor, or at least one of them was a French Film nut, So watched everything from Manon Des Sources. Jean De Florette, The Truffaut Films ( 400 Blows, La Nuit Americane etc) Le Dernier Metro, Les Ripeux, Mon Oncle, The Pagnol Films and the Cocteau films, among those that I can remember. Happy Days

• Paid Members

It is SUCH a great Bond film. How anyone can watch that and say Roger Moore wasn't a good or great Bond is beyond me.

The pre-credits sequence is the best in the whole series, too. Nice and simple and sets the film up beautifully.

And Jane Seymour :love:

• Paid Members
It really does. I think when I watched it last, though, two things dawned on me:-

1) Joan Chen's character and acting were both completely fucking terrible and easily the worst thing about the show.

2) Sherilyn Fenn is one of the great femme fatales in TV or film history. A brilliant character brilliantly performed. She should have had a great career. Utterly gorgeous, too.

One thing I hate about Twin Peaks is that the same background tunes, even though they are tremendous themes, are played almost constantly, sometimes coming right over the dialogue. I love Twin Peaks but that is the only downer for me.

• Paid Members

^ I think the music can be a bit intrusive and repetitive. Technically it's good but it can grate after a while.

And Jane Seymour :love:

A million times yes, until it fell off.

One thing that struck me was just how long the boat chase sequence is, but it doesn't feel long.

I love the boat chase. It's even better than the one in Moonraker and that one is blinding. Like you, I didn't think it went on too long.

• Moderators
One thing I hate about Twin Peaks is that the same background tunes, even though they are tremendous themes, are played almost constantly, sometimes coming right over the dialogue. I love Twin Peaks but that is the only downer for me.

They Live is amazing, but almost unwatchable once you notice the repetitive five-note refrain that's present in virtually the entire movie.

Jeesus, that takes me back with all the Cocteau stuff. Havent seen that since A-Level days. My French tutor, or at least one of them was a French Film nut, So watched everything from Manon Des Sources. Jean De Florette, The Truffaut Films ( 400 Blows, La Nuit Americane etc) Le Dernier Metro, Les Ripeux, Mon Oncle, The Pagnol Films and the Cocteau films, among those that I can remember. Happy Days

Can you recommend any of these to a newbie? Preferably ones with graspable plots and dialogue. Le Sang d'un po

Edited by patdfb

Have you ever seen Yeux Sans Visage, Richie (or Pat)? Terrifying, beautiful movie.

Is that the one that's a bit like the recent Antonio Banderas' film, who's name I forget? in so much that some lass is surgically rebuilt by a surgeon, after his daughter or something dies to look like her. I dont think Ive seen it. but have heard about it, it may even been in this month's Empire, truth be told

• Paid Members
Have you ever seen Yeux Sans Visage, Richie (or Pat)? Terrifying, beautiful movie.

Is that the one that's a bit like the recent Antonio Banderas' film, who's name I forget? in so much that some lass is surgically rebuilt by a surgeon, after his daughter or something dies to look like her. I dont think Ive seen it. but have heard about it, it may even been in this month's Empire, truth be told

The Almod

Edited by Rosegarden Funeral

• Paid Members
Wow, just watched Barton Fink for the very first time. What a tremendous movie. How the Coen Brothers came up with that storyline is unbelievable, just incredibly original. I think I'll be making my way through their filmography in the next few weeks.

Have a big cushion handy for the massive lob that Miller's Crossing will give you. It's unbelievably good.