DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently #2

The Cum Doctor

• Paid Members
My favourite film of all time, This is Spinal Tap is on ITV4 right now.

I also watched that. Great as always. Although a really big laugh was during the ad breaks for it, when they advertised Van Halens new album.

Seeing knackered looking Eddie and David Lee Roth gurn and girate, after watching Spinal Tap do it satirically made me piss myself.

• Paid Members

Someone's Watching Me!

Quite often termed as John Carpenter's 'lost film', he made this around the same time he made Halloween in 1978. Seems strange for a director coming off the back of a commercial and critical hit like Assault On Precinct 13 to go backwards into making a TV film, but that's what this is.

I have to say that this looks like a TV film, but it's far better than the vast majority of them you will ever see. The cast, for a start, which includes Lauren Hutton along with Adrienne Barbeau and Charles Cyphers (both Carpenter semi-regulars) is top class - and hey look, it's Uncle Leo! He-llo!

It's a quality little thriller that throws a couple of nice twists in there. It's clearly heavily influenced by Rear Window in a few ways but that's no bad thing, and it even throws in a couple of surreal moments that you wouldn't expect from a 1970s TV movie.

It's not one of Carpenter's best, but this is what he could achieve within the confines of TV. That's how good he was.

Check it out yourself here:-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BV_2TAWG1GA...nel_video_title

8/10

• Paid Members

I watched Faster last night starring Wrestlemania main eventer Dwayne Johnson and Billy Bob Thornton.

I really enjoyed Faster and not in an 'it's enjoyable and easy to watch with little effort' way. I thought it was a really good movie with a superb soundtrack, some interesting characters, clever dialogue and was what could be a landmark moment in Johnson's acting career.

In Rock's (he's still The Rock to me dammit) early films, such as Welcome To The Jungle, Gridiron Gang and Walking Tall, there is a clear and slightly bland good guy vs bad guy story that plays out. He's then got the back catalogue of Disney films about learning life lessons (i've seen Game Plan, Race To Witch Mountain and Tooth Fairy) and the odd over the top comedy role (Be Cool and The Other Guys). None of these roles have really asked him to do a lot more than look tough, occasionally pull out the Hollywood Rock smile or be childish. In Faster, I thought he was marvellous as an emotionally scarred ex-con looking for vengeance. His portrayal of his former self as a scared, naive young man who was blindly loyal to his brother was first rate, as was his battle with deciding how to treat a man of the church. Rock also has a real talent for portraying uncertainty. Whilst he's always going to be accused of getting roles because he's a wrestler, if Rock ever wants to prove his talent, he should show this to people.

Other highlights for me were Billy Bob Thornton who was great as a shaky, heroin addicted cop who was desperate to win back his ex, Oliver Jackson-Cohen as the egotistical, therapy seeking, appallingly accented hitman chasing Rock down (incidentally, that character didn't get enough attention) and the filming itself, which was fantastic and really helped Faster depart from the action movie norm.

Top film.

• Paid Members
I watched Faster last night..

Oliver Jackson-Cohen as the egotistical, therapy seeking, appallingly accented hitman chasing Rock down (incidentally, that character didn't get enough attention)

I really liked him too, he reminded me of an English Patrick Bateman, much preferred him to the Rock's character and would have gladly watched a film where he was the main character.

• Paid Members

Watched In Time recently and thought Justin Timberlake did a pretty good job of it. Its a shame that there wasn't more Matt Bomer in it as he is scrummy. Very similar to Equilibrium at times and certainly at the end of the film. Reminded me a little of how this country is; the haves and have nots.

Started watching Showdown in Little Tokyo last night. It was on my Netflix recommendations after watching Big Trouble in Little China the other day. Made it about halfway through. It's just utter shite. The performances are terrible, and the production values and look of it are about on par with an episode of Highlander, if not worse. There's one bit where a bloke gets crushed in a car and it cuts to a shot of an obvious dummy in the car, while we can still hear him talking and screaming on the soundtrack.

I watched Escape From New York then, which was much better. Maybe Steel Dawn tonight.

• Paid Members
Started watching Showdown in Little Tokyo last night. It was on my Netflix recommendations after watching Big Trouble in Little China the other day. Made it about halfway through. It's just utter shite. The performances are terrible, and the production values and look of it are about on par with an episode of Highlander, if not worse. There's one bit where a bloke gets crushed in a car and it cuts to a shot of an obvious dummy in the car, while we can still hear him talking and screaming on the soundtrack.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEIGMwcNiEY...feature=related

"This is gonna sound weird coming from a cop, but let's get the hell out of here!"

From the first half, it wasn't that over the top, outside of the main character having unexplained superpowers like all the protagonists in these films do. The jump over the car was funny. Mostly though, it was just rubbish. Perhaps it picked up in the second half, but I'd be surprised, unless the evil Chinese bloke becomes the main character. Lundgren and Lee's performances, characters and chemistry are dreadful -- some of which may be down to the terrible editing, and a lot of which must be down to the terrible script and direction. Was it theatrically released or straight to video?

A question for the experts, why do men in 1980s martial arts film always have their hands in that two fingers up, two fingers down stance when they're fighting?

Edited by King Pitcos