DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently #2

The Cum Doctor

Few more films watched

Little Big Soldier.. Jackie Chan film, but is amazing, beautifully shot, well crafted story splitting between comedy and drama and a slight unexpected ending. Loved it.

2012, not as bad as everyone makes owt. Perfectly acceptable disaster movie. The world gets hammered, millions die, some survive.. Who needs plot and things to make sense? Waaaaay too long though.

No Retreat, No Surrender. Aged horribly, narrative makes no sense and the print i saw on DVD was appalling. Still has JCVD in it as a bad guy, must get around to Black Eagle again some time. Okay, but if I was watching it for the first time I would be horrified! Wonder how the sequels hold up as they are completely unrelated in all but name. As a side note this ties in my next film watched.

Bloodsport. Love it, have done since the first time I saw it 20 years or so ago! So its ropey as hell and JCVD's make up is well shoddy ( way too much blusher in places). Am sure that Jason from NR,NS is one of the fighters at the Kumite. but then Robin from Maid Marian (Wayne Morris) and Victor Wong from Big Trouble in Lil China are listed and I cant see any of them???? Also fairly realistic use of Karate Champ Arcade Machine, which is unusual for a movie. Least it sounds and looks right

everyone should get more Argento films!

He did for suspense horror what Romero did for Zombie films

2 personal favorites of mine are `Opera` and `The Bird with the Crystal Plumage`

I ordered Opera, had it highly recommended by a few people.

I ordered Opera, had it highly recommended by a few people.

Make sure its (Terror at the ) Opera and not Phantom of the Opera cause thats not as good.

Then get the 3 mothers trilogy, Suspiria (the best one) , Inferno (the worst one) and Mother of Tears (the 2nd best one).

I'm a massive Argento fan! My favourites are probably Tenebrae, Suspiria and Phenomena.

I have a lot of time for Bird with the Crystal Plumage as well. One of my film studies tutors is also a die-hard fan (he did his PHD on Argento) and he recently lent me a lot of the harder to find Argento titles (well, before they were all recently re-released). So I'm just finding the right time/mood to watch Terror at the Opera and Cat O'Nine Tails. Also need to re-watch Deep Red.

If you're interested in Argeto you should check out some Mario Bavo, the master/originator of the Giallo and Argento's idol. Black Sunday would be a good place to start!

• Paid Members

X-Men : First Class - Saw this last night & was pleasantly surprised. I thought the first X-Men was good, X2 was great & X3 was very average. I haven't read the comics so have no idea how this origin story holds up against the existing mythology. Aside from Michael Fassbender's accent slipping a couple of times I thought it was well acted & took a much more adult approach than 'Last Stand'. Not prefect, a couple of minor niggles (still not convinced by Beast's design & some of the other mutant characters were under developed) but made me wish I chose to see this in the cinema instead of picking Transformers 3 ( T3 mini review - fucking shit).

X-Men : First Class - Saw this last night & was pleasantly surprised. I thought the first X-Men was good, X2 was great & X3 was very average. I haven't read the comics so have no idea how this origin story holds up against the existing mythology. Aside from Michael Fassbender's accent slipping a couple of times I thought it was well acted & took a much more adult approach than 'Last Stand'. Not prefect, a couple of minor niggles (still not convinced by Beast's design & some of the other mutant characters were under developed) but made me wish I chose to see this in the cinema instead of picking Transformers 3 ( T3 mini review - fucking shit).

Sort yourself out Mike.

Bloodsport. Love it, have done since the first time I saw it 20 years or so ago! So its ropey as hell and JCVD's make up is well shoddy ( way too much blusher in places). Am sure that Jason from NR,NS is one of the fighters at the Kumite. but then Robin from Maid Marian (Wayne Morris) and Victor Wong from Big Trouble in Lil China are listed and I cant see any of them???? Also fairly realistic use of Karate Champ Arcade Machine, which is unusual for a movie. Least it sounds and looks right

Because they are not in it, just same name actors miscredited on IMDB, happens all the time on that site.

Because they are not in it, just same name actors miscredited on IMDB, happens all the time on that site.

That I can well imagine. Submitted some adds to the site with verification some time ago and they arent listed either

A little late to the party, but I just watched Saw 3D. I hate 3D films so I didn't see it at the time and just watched this in regular Blu ray. In short, this is rubbish. The first thing that struck me is how cheap it looked, most of the budget obviously went on the 3D part of it. The blood all seems to be bright pink, I assume it's because 3D glasses would make it darker and thus more an actual blood colour but they just couldn't be bothered to change it for the home release. The story itself is convoluted and dull, the acting and script are hilarious as ever and the traps this time round are all pretty uninspired. There's an entertaining B-movie quality about it for a laugh, but let's be honest, has anyone really cared about these films past the second one?