DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently #2

The Cum Doctor

• Paid Members

Yesterday evening, me and the good lady sat down at home to celebrate her birthday. She had chosen to watch a dvd.

"Here is my choice." she said, and handed me Serenity.

I don't know how I feel about the film. On one hand it was quite a light-hearted affair with funny delivery on occasional lines and a likeable cast. On the other hand, I thought it was crap. Really crap. It was almost like someone doing a parody of other films of the genre, with scene almost directly out of Aliens and Star Wars. I thought that the lead man was a strange choice, but that maybe personal preference as he was much better as the straight man in comedy roles. The little girl fight scenes were ok, but it all looked a little soft...

I think I missed the point of the film because having looked online, it's really well received...

2 stars

• Paid Members

If you substitute "the good lady" with "mumzie" and "DVD" with "VHS", things suddenly get hella bAz.

Serenity's good. Give it more stars. Nathan Fillion has to be the lead man because it's the Firefly movie and he was the lead man in that. Also I like him. Summer Glau will one day be my wife. After the Bullock divorces me for not enjoying Speed 2.

• Paid Members
Serenity (and its TV predecessor, Firefly) has a weird and rabid fanbase. They're like the ROH fans of the sci-fi world.

You'll find that applies to everything Joss Whedon has ever done, including, probably, his latest bowel movement.

Serenity (and its TV predecessor, Firefly) has a weird and rabid fanbase. They're like the ROH fans of the sci-fi world.

You'll find that applies to everything Joss Whedon has ever done, including, probably, his latest bowel movement.

Oh god, I was the victim of this, all I did was slag off Firefly for been overindulgent, witless dross and somehow I'm a heathen.

• Paid Members

Oh god, I was the victim of this, all I did was slag off Firefly for been overindulgent, witless dross and somehow I'm a heathen.

I learned my lesson when I posted a lengthy Livejournal post a few years ago about why I hated Buffy The Vampire Slayer. Never again.

• Paid Members
If you substitute "the good lady" with "mumzie" and "DVD" with "VHS", things suddenly get hella bAz.

Serenity's good. Give it more stars. Nathan Fillion has to be the lead man because it's the Firefly movie and he was the lead man in that. Also I like him. Summer Glau will one day be my wife. After the Bullock divorces me for not enjoying Speed 2.

Oh see now when you explain it, I feel bad for trampling on it. I won't change my rating but I'm sure it would be the same if there was a Dexter movie and a non-Dexter fan watched it. If they then slated it I would want their blood. Apropo Dexter is a blood spatter analyst.

Anyways, I never saw the TV series, Firefly. So I am a non-fan.

Sorry

Edited by Gordon_The_Gopher

• Paid Members

I didn't watch Firefly and I'm not a particularly big Joss Whedon fan, I just read up on it a bit and watched a couple of the DVD extras where they get into it. I just thought Serenity was good for some of the reasons you mentioned (some funny lines, well delivered, largely likeable cast). Also yeah, anything with Summer Glau is a winner for me. But your analogy stands, it would be like re-casting Dexter in the Dexter movie if they didn't go with Nathan Fillion, which is mostly why I brought up the Firefly thing.

I quite enjoyed Dollhouse. Does that make me a bad person?

Edited by JLM

I'll admit to having enjoyed Firefly. Despite being made on a shoesting budget, it was a likeable and different take on scifi. It was much more in line with the "wild west in space" concept which was the original thrust of scifi films back in the 50s/60s.

As a coda to that abruptly ended series, Serenity was great. As a standalone it would just seem weird though.

• Paid Members

Also I want to hurt Jessie badly and she's all over Toy Story 2. Hateful, hateful character.

I'm sure I've posted this before, but it made me lol so I'll mention it again...

When this first came out, a guy on a forum commented that if Toy Story were real, he'd buy a Jessie Doll and ejaculate all over her face, knowing that she'd have to interact with the other toys and be unable to wipe it off, lest she arouse suspicion. I think this is fair.