DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently #2

The Cum Doctor

I thought it'd be an idea for something to stick on my blog to watch the movies everyone's seen that I've not yet gotten around to and write about it, so I've just watched Planet of the Apes, the original, for the very first time. It was so different to what I expected. All these years I've had this picture in my mind of a pretty wacky 60's action movie, but it's a pretty heavy and full-on allegory for the battle between science and the religious establishment. It is awesome though, a 5 star movie, but judging by the trailers for the sequels, the series descends into absolute madness pretty quickly.

It's a cracking movie. But I've got a good story related to this.

Planet Of The Apes came out in the same year as 2001, and Planet Of The Apes was given a special Best Makeup award for its apes.

A few years later, Kubrick bumps into one of the Awards Committee and Planet Of The Apes comes up in conversation. Kubrick says "Look, Planet was a great film, but how could you give that award to their apes and not our apes in 2001" The committee member says "Those weren't real apes?"

The moral of the story is... if you do a job too well, people might not even notice.

• Moderators
I thought it'd be an idea for something to stick on my blog to watch the movies everyone's seen that I've not yet gotten around to and write about it, so I've just watched Planet of the Apes, the original, for the very first time. It was so different to what I expected. All these years I've had this picture in my mind of a pretty wacky 60's action movie, but it's a pretty heavy and full-on allegory for the battle between science and the religious establishment. It is awesome though, a 5 star movie, but judging by the trailers for the sequels, the series descends into absolute madness pretty quickly.

Planet Of The Apes came out in the same year as 2001, and Planet Of The Apes was given a special Best Makeup award for its apes.

A few years later, Kubrick bumps into one of the Awards Committee and Planet Of The Apes comes up in conversation. Kubrick says "Look, Planet was a great film, but how could you give that award to their apes and not our apes in 2001" The committee member says "Those weren't real apes?"

The moral of the story is... if you do a job too well, people might not even notice.

Haha, awesome. Understandable too, those 2001 apes totally hold up today. I wonder if Kubrick spent a decade photographing monkeys until he found one he was happy to recreate?

I feel like I shill my links a lot on here, but in my defense, this is too long and pretentious to paste into this thread, so here are my thoughts on PotA:

Popping Rotten Cherries - Planet of the Apes

Watched Slither last night.

OOH Svenning/ Hal.....

Elizabeth Banks..........

Some other stuff happened

Elizabeth Banks............

Zombies/ Aliens lots of gore

Bath Scene

Fucking bollocksed and hackneyed ending. Wot no Lawnmowers ?:p

Black Sheep does the Zombie Horror transformation thing better and is funnier

Elizabeth Banks.............

• Paid Members
Watched Slither last night.

OOH Svenning/ Hal.....

Some other stuff happened

Elizabeth Banks............

Zombies/ Aliens lots of gore

Bath Scene

Fucking bollocksed and hackneyed ending. Wot no Lawnmowers ?:p

Black Sheep does the Zombie Horror transformation thing better and is funnier

Elizabeth Banks.............

Slither's good fun, but I do really like a good monster movie. Reminded me a lot of Eight Legged Freaks and Michael Rooker is great in it.

Oh, and Elizabeth Banks.

I saw Toy Story 3 tonight and thought it was really disappointing. After hearing so much good about it I was expecting something pretty special but it just felt a little bland and way short of the brilliance of the original. There were amusing bits and some pretty funny bits, but ultimately the main setting for the majority of the film was pretty dull. The animation was top notch, but thats Pixar and you'd hardly expect anything less. Another thing that bothered me was the 3D. I wanted to see it normally but I went in a group and got outvoted, it had no merit whatsoever and was just a waste of money. Added nothing to the film, just made it a little darker because of the glasses, most of the time you don't even notice its 3D. Its an enjoyable film, but falls well short of being anything great.

• Paid Members
I saw Toy Story 3 tonight and thought it was really disappointing. After hearing so much good about it I was expecting something pretty special but it just felt a little bland and way short of the brilliance of the original. There were amusing bits and some pretty funny bits, but ultimately the main setting for the majority of the film was pretty dull.

Seconded. I'd heard nothing but rave reviews, and while it was very good, I think it's rather overrated. As with quite a few sequels lately, it felt more like an episode than a film, and all I was thinking about when I left the cinema was how I preferred Toy Story 2. I'd still recommend it, just not in the "You must see it" vain.

• Paid Members

i watched all the whole series over the course of 5 days a while back, the sequels are hit and miss affairs but the whole thing works as a series...The Conquest of the Planet of The Apes (the 4th movie) is probably my favorite of the series, now that is one dark ass film.

If you really liked the first one you might enjoy the rest, check em. I think im the only person i know who's seen the films, i have asked people but i get that 'fuck off, thats shit!' reaction whenever i bring it up.

guess it's a nerd thing.

The one set in the near future, with the start of the ape uprising.... that's a cool film. I thinly veiled allegory of racial tensions in America, but still a good film IMO.

Millard, great blog. I found when I watched it again recently that it really does confound your expectations, for example Heston's character is basically a bit of a twat and as aggressive as the chimpanzees, leaving the gentle ape Doctors as the hippies in the middle of two opposing fascistic world views.

The remake utterly failed to latch on to any of the really juicy themes. Heston's cameo in that was particularly distasteful, the two-faced bastard.

All of your posts on POTA's just reminds me of that episode of the simpsons when homer finally realises what happens in the film:

I'll handle this ... the only danger in space is if we land on the terrible Planet of the Apes ... wait a minute. Statue of Liberty ... THAT WAS OUR PLANET! YOU MANIACS! YOU BLEW IT UP! DAMN YOU! DAMN YOU ALL TO HELL!

Watched the new Clash of the Titans. It was good, but lacked the level of enjoyability and charm of the original and I expected much better given the cast involved in it. The Kraken was epic but I think more use should have been made of it considering the entire film was building up to its release.

• Paid Members

Just picked up Thirteen Days, Secretary, Trauma (not the Dario Argento one), Josie & The Pussycats, The Station Agent and Full Contact (the Chow Yun-Fat one) for a tenner altogether. Sorted!

Anyone recommend some other Stephen King related films?? Im desperate to see Pet sematary.

I was a big fan of IT back in the day and I was surprised by how much I enjoyed it when I bought it a couple of years ago and you even have the joy of watching hilariously bad acting.

Hey you, lunchbox

• Paid Members
Watched the new Clash of the Titans. It was good, but lacked the level of enjoyability and charm of the original and I expected much better given the cast involved in it. The Kraken was epic but I think more use should have been made of it considering the entire film was building up to its release.

Watched the new Clash of the Titans and apart from a few cool bits, thought it was total crap.

Errrrr? :confused: