General politics discussion thread

David

Nick Clegg has been taking all comers on Education on Radio 2 /BBC News and has come out very well

Seems News paper misinformation, and Blind Rage and ignorance has a lot to play in why people are angry

People also seme to be trying to hold the party to ransom still for getting in to bed with the tories rather than labour as well

As confirmed by Clegg

New loans repayments up from 15k to 21 then index linked, loans written off if not paid after 30 years and nothing to be paid up front

Confirmation labour condemned their own report and graduate tax would cost the country more

General Taxation for this as opposted t would stifle growth

Doesnt want kids to not go to university

EMA will be replaced with something that is more targetted as EMA only benficial for 10 per cent of students claiming it the rest was dead money

Accepts that is peoples perogative to demostrate rebuke him and the party, can only restate his position and how a coalition works ( many people it appear dont get this!) and confirm that all his major manfesto pledges are otherwise being dealt with

He came across really well answered everything and didnt shy away from anything.. Even talking about A Lib defector to Labour, confiming who brought tuition fees in the first place and providing an historical performance

If its up on Iplayer later I recommend a listen!

Having read more about the tuition fees increases. I didnt release the increases are only to about 6k and coupled with all of the extra benefits they are adding to it I really dont think its as bad as people are making out. I still dont understand what these 'exceptional circumstances' are for the 9k charges though.

• Paid Members

There's also an important point being missed in the "Labour introduced fees" argument.

Fees were introduced to raise extra money for universities, and the government funding stayed the same.

The new scheme is to cut the government funding (up to 80% in some cases) and get students to make up the difference.

Basically (the exceptional circumstances to justify charging 9k) it'll mean any course at Oxbridge, many/most courses at most Russell Group unis, and probably medical courses at any uni. Probably some others as well. But I can't see (for instance) arts students at former polys paying 9k a year. There'd be no demand at that price.

Edited by Happ Hazzard

With the greatest of respects to the spirit of dissent for which I hold such fondness, the protests do seem to have been a bit much considering the not-that-radical changes to the fee system...

I know that's grand heresy, but higher fees met with a higher threshold with which you start to pay back seems reasonable enough. Especially considering that there is a

Basically (the exceptional circumstances to justify charging 9k) it'll mean any course at Oxbridge, many/most courses at most Russell Group unis, and probably medical courses at any uni. Probably some others as well. But I can't see (for instance) arts students at former polys paying 9k a year. There'd be no demand at that price.

That seems a fair idea to me then. Why should going to Portsmouth Uni cost the same as Oxford? My friend that did an outdoor sports course at Uni and currently works in HMV has said to me he wouldnt have been able to go to Uni if these fees had been in place. :rolleyes:

• Paid Members

These people are idiots. I'm sure smashing up Oxford Street is going to make the Government think, "lets just listen to the angry mob of fucktards."

Raise it to 20,000. I want to see if they'll storm the gates of the Palace.