General politics discussion thread

David

There's plenty of stuff I've downloaded, listening to and enjoyed without buying. I'm willing to hold my hand up to that.

I think most music fans who are somewhat internet savvy will have been guilty of that at some point.

Can anyone explain to me why David Starkey even exists let alone gets a spot on QT? the guy really gets on my fucking nerves.

I dunno, he came accross as a sanctimonious old cunt with a chip on his shoulder.. it was deffo the look at me show

in other news we ARE going down the road of US elections. Fucking Bollocks..

Did you see that whooping and a hollering after last nights bill was passed?

We have entered personality politics and the press are making a big deal of Mrs Cameron being up the duff

This election is going to suck.. roll on wednesday.. what times the budget due as I may get some fodder/ booze in to watch in...

Starky was a right annoying cunt the last time he was on there as well (anyone know if he had a pop and Wales and Scotland again?) and Dimble's actually told him to shut up at one point which made me smile insdie.

Welcome to the 3rd Great Firewall.. after China and Australia.

And on that note.

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/World-New...nd_To_Hong_Kong

Internet giant Google has effectively withdrawn its China search engine following a row over hacking and censorship

Google said it was redirecting its China traffic through Hong Kong and was no longer censoring searches.

A blog statement by Google chief legal officer David Drummond said: "Earlier today we stopped censoring our search services - Google Search, Google News and Google Images - on Google.cn.

"Users visiting Google.cn are now being redirected to Google.com.hk, where we are offering uncensored search in simplified Chinese, specifically designed for users in mainland China and delivered via our servers in Hong Kong."

The White House said it was disappointed that Google had been unable to reach agreement with China, saying the company would have made its decision "based on what it believed was in its own interest."

Speculation had been growing that Google was preparing to announce it was pulling out of China - the world's largest internet market by users - or at least shut down its Chinese search engine.

The firm said it had been the victim of hacking by China amid a long-running row over censorship.

Google launched its Chinese-language search engine in January 2006 after agreeing to censor websites for content banned under Chinese law such as human rights issues and the 1989 Tiananmen Square massacre.

China has denied involvement in the December cyberattacks, which Google said targeted more than 20 other companies and included attempts to access the email accounts of Chinese human rights activists around the world.

Drummond said China made it clear during negotiations that Google would not be allowed to offer an uncensored search engine.

"We want as many people in the world as possible to have access to our services, iincluding users in mainland China, yet the Chinese government has been crystal clear throughout our discussions that self-censorship is a non-negotiable legal requirement," he said.

"We believe this new approach of providing uncensored search in simplified Chinese from Google.com.hk is a sensible solution to the challenges we've faced - it's entirely legal and will meaningfully increase access to information for people in China."

Google said it intends to continue research and development work in China and keep a sales presence there, though the size of the salesforce would partly depend on

the ability of mainland Chinese users to access google.com.hk.

A former British colony, Hong Kong is a special administrative region of China and enjoys more freedom, including an uncensored Internet, than mainland China.

Interesting.

Can anyone explain to me why David Starkey even exists let alone gets a spot on QT? the guy really gets on my fucking nerves.

I dunno, he came accross as a sanctimonious old cunt with a chip on his shoulder.. it was deffo the look at me show

in other news we ARE going down the road of US elections. Fucking Bollocks..

Did you see that whooping and a hollering after last nights bill was passed?

We have entered personality politics and the press are making a big deal of Mrs Cameron being up the duff

This election is going to suck.. roll on wednesday.. what times the budget due as I may get some fodder/ booze in to watch in...

Personally, I think it's only a matter of time that the seat of Prime Minister develops into an actual Presidency. It's something that always comes up now and again, and since the election that brought in New Labour, it's been more about the Prime Minister than the party and this will become more so with the upcoming Leader debates, and continue to escalate.

Edited by Steveo2007

Good for Google. Their deal with the Chinese never sat well with their founding philosophy - indeed a cynical man might think they only got into bed with the Chinese so that they could pull the rug from under at the point they were able to offer unrestricted web access to mainland Chinese.

Given some of the debates on this forum recently over Venables, Bulger and conspiracy theories, I thought this bit of Charlie Brooker was appropriate:

Personally, I think it's only a matter of time that the seat of Prime Minister develops into an actual Presidency. It's something that always comes up now and again, and since the election that brought in New Labour, it's been more about the Prime Minister than the party and this will become more so with the upcoming Leader debates, and continue to escalate.

If it does come that, will we have to scrap the Monarchy? Most states without a monarchy afaik have a Prime Minister, and a President (or similar power structure) look at France and Russia for example.

The UK doesnt have that same situation, as we didnt revolt between c.1779-1848 and get rid of our Monarchs ( albeit our kings and queens were even then more figure-headed than the ancien regime/divine right of kings). Or will it just be a shift in paradigm so that the name changes but the job doesnt? it has been done before.

The term Prime Minister is quite new term and has only been around in common usage since Asquith I think, before that it was 1st Lord of the Treasury was the preferred title.

Iam dreading the leader debates as rather than do the country any good, its likely going to be 3 separate bore fests based on sound bites and popularity rather than policy contest.

As far as I'm concerned, anyone from an ethnic minority who joins the BNP in its current incarnation is a fucking traitor.

Anyone who actually joins the BNP, thus providing them with membership money could be considered slightly imbecilic to say the least, regardless of their ethnicity.

The party themselves are predicting a slight surge in membership inquiries from anti-Islamic ethnic minorities, but nothing major.

Following the BNP's membership application process being restarted after suspension, Nick Griffin was pictured with some of the lucky members who had their application approved recently;

end-of-debate.jpg

The guy wearing glasses and the pink shirt an tie combination looks familiar. Wondering if he's that Christian bloke off the channel 4 programme where they tried to convert people and he called someone a practising witch.

The guy wearing glasses and the pink shirt an tie combination looks familiar. Wondering if he's that Christian bloke off the channel 4 programme where they tried to convert people and he called someone a practising witch.

Indeed he is. I saw the following article on their site and decided to post the photo in jest;

The debate between British National Party leader Nick Griffin MEP and Revd George Hargreaves of the Christian Party, broadcast live on Revelation TV, was what Question Time should have been: an open exchange of views without a resident lynch mob.

Even the panel chairman on the debate, Gordon Pettie, remarked on the remarkable difference between the debate and Question Time, telling viewers that