The Pavel Florin Supporters Club and Cricket Thread

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

It's been a good tournament so far. They should still hold it and dispense with quite so many pointless ODIs. It's been far better than the World Cup ever is.Nasser Hussain has been great on commentary as well, mainly for winding up the Indians about not using DRS at home but being happy to use it and benefit from it here. There have been some great David Warner gags as well.

He loves Pietersen, though. I just don't think he likes showing it. If you watch the highlights of the final test of the 2005 Ashes, I've never heard him praise a batsman so much.

Boycott could barely contain his excitement when Pietersen was bludgeoning Tait, Lee and Warne all over the park on his way to 158 in that Fifth Test.

Still not sure about Tuffers, though, he always sounds like a bee has flown into his mouth.

I find him very hit and miss. Sometimes I enjoy what he has to contribute, but then at others he just seems to be playing his village idiot character.

• Paid Members

Australia seem to be doing the best they can not to win the Ashes by sacking their coach 2 weeks before the first test. Darren Lehman is favourite to take over, which for me is a massive bonus because I love to see that tubby faced bastard looking grumpy when they are not doing very well.

I'm still sore from the end of the 20/20 overs run-in yesterday. Talk about snatching defeat from the jaws of victory, I thought we had it. One of the most bizarre overs I've ever seen/listened to - a 6, two wides and then two wickets.

• Paid Members

^ All Morgan and Bopara needed to do was get the occasional boundary and work the singles. Completely threw it away, hugely disappointing.

Australia seem to be doing the best they can not to win the Ashes by sacking their coach 2 weeks before the first test. Darren Lehman is favourite to take over, which for me is a massive bonus because I love to see that tubby faced bastard looking grumpy when they are not doing very well.

I'm less happy with him in charge than Arthur. Arthur was never a good fit for Australia but I reckon Lehmann might actually get something decent out of that squad. Not enough to win the Ashes, but I reckon he's a great appointment for them if not exactly well timed.

• Paid Members

That they are coached by an Aussie will help but Tubby Lehman is not the coach Arthur is. Also Michael Clarke is no longer going to be a selector. If the skipper gets no input, and by several accounts I have read he is not well liked by a lot of the team, where does that leave him as well.

• Paid Members

Oh I agree that they are still in disarray but I think that Lehmann will just connect better with the players. By all accounts, no-one wanted Mickey Arthur as coach because he's somewhat of a twat. It's all tremendously amusing, though.

The only thing that worries me is that all this makes England the favourites and the Aussies the underdogs. I'm not convinced England do very well in that role. We showed this weekend that we still struggle with pressure, particularly that created by a genuine winning chance.

On the flip side, KP scored 175 in his first innings back from injury for Surrey on Saturday, so that bodes well for his Ashes form!

• Paid Members

While England may have been at home India were always favourites for the Champions Trophy. England should have won when Morgan and Bopara were going well. 20 of 15 was manageable until Morgan played that horrible shot and Bopara found square leg, but even then they should have done better.

• Paid Members

Buttler's shot was just horrible. It was a tail-ender's shot at best. It was completely unnecessary as well and I just wonder if there is too much expectation on his shoulders. England need to take another look at Ben Stokes in the middle order, I think, if they want someone who can hit boundaries and maybe try and squeeze Bairstow in to keep wicket.

Some utterly shocking shots yesterday to throw the game away for England. Regarding Broad's dismissal, whatever happened to benefit of the doubt going to the batsman in these situations? Looked far too close to call for me. Whether or not it would have changed the outcome (probably not) doesn't really matter, but I'm not sure I'd want to see too many of these decisions given against the batsman in future (and that's coming from a bowler).

In the world of German cricket, we had some terrible umpiring yesterday by two guys who clearly didn't have a clue what the LBW rule was and how to apply it. This wasn't helped much by both captains jokingly asking the umpire to explain in detail a decision he'd given and him stumbling through and answer which showed zero application of the rule was a bit of a stunner. It's a brave man who gives an lbw decision from a spin bowler going around the wicket and pitching the ball outside leg stump...especially when the bowler is the lone man appealing and everyone else is preparing for the next delivery.

• Paid Members
In the world of German cricket, we had some terrible umpiring yesterday by two guys who clearly didn't have a clue what the LBW rule was and how to apply it. This wasn't helped much by both captains jokingly asking the umpire to explain in detail a decision he'd given and him stumbling through and answer which showed zero application of the rule was a bit of a stunner. It's a brave man who gives an lbw decision from a spin bowler going around the wicket and pitching the ball outside leg stump...especially when the bowler is the lone man appealing and everyone else is preparing for the next delivery.

I guess this is always the danger of playing in a country that doesn't have much of a connection with the sport that you will get umpires who haven't got a clue. Just take advantage of it as a bowler, I know I would!