The Pavel Florin Supporters Club and Cricket Thread

Devon Malcolm

Ponting has gone from a hard worker and one of the worlds best players to a childish, blame everyone else shell of his old character in the space of two years. He can still get it done, but he seems more content sulking then doing the graft.

Brilliant performance from England yet again, so far I have been dead wrong about my reservations with taking Anderson. Great performance from him, England seem to really be working as a team.

Fuck me...that's a turn up for the books! I stayed up and watched the first session last night/this morning and thought that was an amazing 10 minutes or so of cricket at the beginning of the day. Absolute madness regarding the Katich run-out after he just got caught ball watching and them trying to steal a quick single to get off the mark. Ponting out first ball was brilliant too. I've never seen English cricket celebrations like that before with the players running off and celebrating as though they'd won the Ashes with that delivery.

Australia are probably about 150 runs from where they'd want to be from the first innings, and it'll be REALLY interesting to see whether the Australian bowling attack can do just that, and attack the English batsmen tomorrow and be able to get some wickets. If England can't build a strong lead here and put themselves in a strong position to go on and win this game, they're in trouble for the rest of the series. I can't help but suspect if England can win here in a fairly dominating fashion, Australia will fold and it'll be as good as series over.

• Paid Members

Not often I'm jumping around the living room at ten past midnight but I was last night. Fucking awesome first session. I fell asleep though. I'm gonna be greedy and say I was disappointed with the total. I thought we'd have them wrapped up for about 70!

Aye, I was talking to a mate last night on Twitter and we said it would be key to break that partnership as quickly as possible otherwise they'd settle down and bail Australia out again. Any idea what the little issue was with Ponting on Strauss at the end of the day's play?

Great to see Swanny get some wickets as well. This pitch could do a fair bit for him in the second innings.

I think he was upset as Strauss asked for the roller on the pitch(hes perfectly entitled to do that), but it used up an over at the end of the days play so they only had to face one over. For Ponting to react like that tho, the aussies are definetly rattled, aparet from Englands first innings in the first test(probably nerves)(, they are just absolutly ruthless in stamping down Australia and I love it!

I hope they keep it up, Strauss and the coaching staff have cultivated an England squad not content with just taking part. Breeding a winning ethos takes years and England seem to be captivating it. A win in the Aussies backyard cements England as genuine claimants to the number one throne.

• Moderators

If anything, our International setup here has paid dividends.

British Sport seems to lack a ruthless winning mentality, and although the Cricket teams "League of Nations" apporah has been derided in quarters, that inherent toughness and will to win will now diffuse. Other British sport teams can learn from this.

• Paid Members
I hope they keep it up, Strauss and the coaching staff have cultivated an England squad not content with just taking part. Breeding a winning ethos takes years and England seem to be captivating it. A win in the Aussies backyard cements England as genuine claimants to the number one throne.

Try telling that to Indian fans. They GENUINELY believe they are far and away the best test team in the world, despite having a piddling bowling attack that has absolutely nothing and the fact that they play almost all their tests on their terrible bowler killing pitches. Hopefully South Africa's Steyn and Morkel will fuck them up when they tour down there.

That said, I think if England win it is between them and South Africa for number one and in the last few series England have just about held the upper hand.

• Moderators

Try telling that to Indian fans. They GENUINELY believe they are far and away the best test team in the world, despite having a piddling bowling attack that has absolutely nothing and the fact that they play almost all their tests on their terrible bowler killing pitches. Hopefully South Africa's Steyn and Morkel will fuck them up when they tour down there.

The ICC really have to have a word about that. They're great pitches for slow bowlers, but there's fuck all there for a seamer, nothing there at all.

• Paid Members

There isn't even anything for spinners there any more. Harbhajan has done nothing on those pitches for a couple of years now. The ICC go mental when a pitch is prepared and the teams are bundled out for under 150 a couple of times, but they don't do the same when both teams rack up over 600.

Exactly what the Sub-continent want though, they get their massive score and inflate their batting averages and touring teams struggle on nothing pitches. There is nothing more frightful in world cricket as a damp Thursday morning at Headingley with Anderson opening the attack.

Lets hope we really get stuck into them again today. Ruthless to the end.

• Moderators

True. Murali No Ball filled his boots there though

The ICC go mental when a pitch is prepared and the teams are bundled out for under 150 a couple of times, but they don't do the same when both teams rack up over 600.

All about the money that, I'd say.

Edited by ButchReedMark