The official UKFF Nintendo Wii Thread!

Steve Justice

After doing a search I couldn't see an official thread for the Wii, so I thought I'd go ahead and make one.

It's a few years old now, and I'm sure quite a few people here have one. Do you play it often? If you own another console, is your time equally split between the two or do you spend more time on one than the other? What games do you have? Which have been the standout games to date? Where can Nintendo go from here?

I've had mine for about a year now. I spend way much more time on my 360 than I do the Wii, but the Wii is handy to keep around if I'm bored.

Stand out game by far is Mario Kart Wii. I really enjoyed Sonic & Mario at the Olympics, but no one else played it with me. I generally still play Wii Sports with my missus and lad. They should really bring out a Wii Sports 2. Unless they have already and I've mised it.

I've also just bought PES 2008. Anyone know if it's any good for the Wii? And how difficult is it to control?

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

http://ukff.com/index.php?showtopic=89536&hl=price+point < that became the Wii thread if you wanted a backlog of Wii chat.

No problem with this thread existing too to accompany the 360 and PS3 ones though.

First off, worry not about Wii Sports 2, it's out this year. It's called "Wii Sports Resort" and it'll be packaged with the new hardware that allows for 1:1 total motion control according to Nintendo. The current remote follows gestures and equates them to what the button command would be on a pad, whereas the new peripheral apparently allows total tracking of your exacy movements. Wii Sports Resort has fencing on it, which will be a good indicator of how well this works.

The Nintendo IPs are the standout games for me. MK Wii, Smash Bros. Brawl and Mario Galaxy have made the console a worthy purchase for me.

As for my collection, I have Mario Kart Wii, Zelda, Mario Galaxy, Smash Bros. Brawl, Wario Ware Smooth Moves, Excite Truck, Metal Slug Anthology, Wii Sports, Mario Strikers, Rayman: Raving Rabbids and Pangya! Golf with style.

Also I have a friend who bought Mario Party 8 and Mario and Sonic at the Olympics but doesn't own a Wii, so I sort of co-own them. The Wii lives at his at points during the year because he has a big, open living room that supports multiplayer sessions.

Pangya! is underrated. Love it but few seem to own it. Mario Galaxy is a modern classic. Absolute masterpiece. MK Wii and BRAWL are both essential.

In the future I'm massively excited about the new version of Punch Out! and I look forward to the inevitable new F-Zero game. There's been no announcement yet, but I feel confident that it will happen eventually because it's one of the few games you expect to see on a Nintendo console that hasn't surfaced on Wii yet.

• Paid Members

Oh yeah, my Wii is easily my least used console, but I wouldn't trade it because when I take it to gatherings it always goes down a storm. I'd say MK Wii, Mario Galaxy, Zelda, Resi 4 and a few others have the substance and content to stack up against the PS3 360 releases, but the console is definitely marketed as one to bust out when amongst friends for the odd burst. It's a good accompaniment to your PS3 or 360 if you're heavily into games, but isn't an ideal standalone console unless you're not.

Sadly I am now getting a PS3.

I loved my Wii, but all the good games that I wanted to play have come and gone and there is nothing exciting enougth for me anymore. I was holding out for "Conduit", but realised if I got a PS3 or Xbox 360, that there was already a large pool of FPS available that would likely piss all over Conduit anyway.

Oh yeah, my Wii is easily my least used console, but I wouldn't trade it because when I take it to gatherings it always goes down a storm. I'd say MK Wii, Mario Galaxy, Zelda, Resi 4 and a few others have the substance and content to stack up against the PS3 360 releases, but the console is definitely marketed as one to bust out when amongst friends for the odd burst. It's a good accompaniment to your PS3 or 360 if you're heavily into games, but isn't an ideal standalone console unless you're not.

Yeah thats pretty much it. I was gonna say Mario Galaxy was the exception, thats a wonderful game. As much as I like games like it, I've never been able to really get into any Zelda game, I dont know why. Resi Evil 4 I already had on Gamecube and Mario Kart is fun but not so much to play on your own. I play it more when I have people over, but I prefer playing something like Left 4 Dead online with mates. I'm more a hardcore gamer than a casual one so that explains why my wii doesnt get much love

• Paid Members

While Mario Kart on the Wii is good, I found that it got to be "same old same old" too quick for my liking, it's a good game in short bursts, but not something you can really get your teeth into for long periods of time.

Easily the best game I've played on the Wii has to be Resi 4, the ease of playing the game meant that you really did feel part of the game as opposed to the PS2 version where it felt clunky and you had to spend more time paying attention to what you were doing with the controls to get the shot to be accurate, than actually playing the game and avoiding being killed.

This in turn makes me worry for Resi 5, it looks awesome. Unfortunately it's on the 360 which means the nice and smooth controls of the Wii are automatically back out of the window for the more clunky and cumbersome analogue sticks, boo :(.

Also when I had my own Wii I loved Eledees (It's Finders Keepers on a console for christs sake! What's not to love?!) and Tiger Woods Golf (2008 I think, but if there was a 2007 it'd be that, don't care enough to go check being that they're all alike really). Other than that I've not really found that many games to be that engaging.

Mario Party 8 is fun, but lacks the enjoyment of number 4, Smash Brothers I've always found to be okay, but nothing special, while Mario Galaxy is about average at best.

I will however say that the Zelda crossbow game (dunno the actual title, it's my cousin's) was great fun to play, very short I'll admit, but with a couple of people you can have a great few minutes playing that thing.

Wii is definately my least used console now. When they release good games they are very good, but they haven't realeased anything good in at least 6 months. Its all been party play mini game collection and family fitness type stuff. Its getting quite ridiculous. I know the wii is aimed at multiplayer, but not every one has a party going 24 hours a day, they need games that can be played single player and not get boring after 5 minutes.

• Admin

Having not played the Wii for literally months I bought House of the Dead: Overkill for my and the girlfriend today. Gone is the awfully wooden voice acting of previous HOTD games, replaced by a Planet Terror / Grindhouse style look & feel. The script is absurd and completely littered with unecessary swearing which is damn funny.

About 3 episodes in and it's all been fairly easy so far but good fun.

Having not played the Wii for literally months I bought House of the Dead: Overkill for my and the girlfriend today. Gone is the awfully wooden voice acting of previous HOTD games, replaced by a Planet Terror / Grindhouse style look & feel. The script is absurd and completely littered with unecessary swearing which is damn funny.

About 3 episodes in and it's all been fairly easy so far but good fun.

how does it work, do you just use the wiimote as the gun? Sounds fun

• Paid Members

Yeah, though ideally you want a Wii Zapper or an alternative gun-styled remote holder to recreate the lightgun feel.

The Wii is literally the best console of all time for lightgun games because it doesn't rely on everyone buying a specific peripheral that only three games will ever use. If you own the console, you have what you need, and the other things are optional extras.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B.../letzshopcom-21

• Paid Members
I've also just bought PES 2008. Anyone know if it's any good for the Wii? And how difficult is it to control?

The controls are just difficult enough to keep you interested, but definitely not offputtingly hard or anything. It's a very enjoyable game once you get the hang of the passing.

Yeah, though ideally you want a Wii Zapper or an alternative gun-styled remote holder to recreate the lightgun feel.

The Wii is literally the best console of all time for lightgun games because it doesn't rely on everyone buying a specific peripheral that only three games will ever use. If you own the console, you have what you need, and the other things are optional extras.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B.../letzshopcom-21

I dont wanna splash out on something like that for a game that I'm only gonna rent. How well does it work with just the wiimote?

Archived