What have you been watching on (proper scripted) telly?

Dynamite Duane

Morty, I wasn't having a pop was just clarifying for Duane. Didn't mean to be so short.

But, either way, I agree with a lot of your post, particularly the issue with the senator who'd actually shown exactly the opposite character traits necessary to vindicate turning him into a martyr. I suppose their point was how death can alter a persons opinion, and that he realised how important it was to give his daughter a chance of survival. But, yeah, the motive wasn't particularly well portrayed.

* The ship and its justification of "oh, and earlier ship must have come this exact same way and left stargates for us to visit. Convenient, eh?"

That actually made perfect sense. The ancient's plotting of Stargates when on new journeys was pretty well documented in both SG1 and Atlantis, and it is actually the whole premise on which Atlantis is based. The first ship would come by, marking its territory so to speak, and when others followed not only did they have the safety net of the stargate energy signatures to follow, but also had sanctuary if they were attacked.

* Why didn't the main cast go to a stargate on another safe planet and wait to find out if Earth was okay, rather than randomly jumping through to some place they'd never seen before?

I'm not sure I understand what you mean, but didn't Carlyle hijack the dialing process to dial the ninth chevron? ...unable to resist his academic intrigue and claiming that it was to dangerous? And, once he'd dialied hadn't he just tied everyones hands, because dialing a gate isn't a particularly speedy process and the planet was about to blow up...?

Also, did we ever find out what happened to Lou Diamond Phillips character?

There's no such thing as a ninth sigil, it's the ninth chevron and it's pretty important towards the end of SG1, when they muse about the origins of the ori and their home galaxy.

Oh right I recall that being said in the programme, or at least chevron. I got the impression you wouldn't have needed to have seen the previous series to follow SGU.

So what is the ninth chevron? The only chevron I've heard before is a car :)

Perhaps I'll have watch some of the other series' to clear it up.

EDIT:

After to reading the above post I've got a better idea. :thumbsup:

I wondered about the Lou Diamond Philips character too actually.

Edited by Dynamite Duane

There's no such thing as a ninth sigil, it's the ninth chevron and it's pretty important towards the end of SG1, when they muse about the origins of the ori and their home galaxy.

Oh right I recall that being said in the programme, or at least chevron. I got the impression you wouldn't have needed to have seen the previous series to follow SGU.

So what is the ninth chevron? The only chevron I've heard before is a car :)

Perhaps I'll have watch some of the other series' to clear it up.

EDIT:

After to reading the above post I've got a better idea. :thumbsup:

I wondered about the Lou Diamond Philips character too actually.

On the Stargate, there are 32 symbols and 9 of the those locking triangles that light up, those are chevrons. In the film Daniel Jackson worked out that you need to lock 7 "co-ordinates" in to connect a womrhole somewhere, 6 of those represented different point in space to create a sort of box round the specific area, symbolised by constellation signs, and the final one being the point of origin. Part way through SG1, O'Neill gets the knowledge of the ancients embedded in his mind, but its overloading him and killing him, to get rid of it, he uses this knowledge to go to the Asgard homeworld in a different galaxy, which requires him to use an 8th chevron to "boost" the wormhole to another galaxy. This is essentially how they also get to Atlantis int he Pegasus Galaxy. Now the 9th Chevron is either presumably an extra boost tot he wormhole (as the Destiny is BILLIONs of lightyears away, much further than Pegasus, or gives the Stargate the ability to connect a wormhole to a stargate not in a static(ish) position on or around a planet. I've unfortuenaly hardly watched the end of SG1 so not to sure what they explain there.

Also the 9th Chevron has always been on the gate, as was the 8th, they just had no idea how ot use either.

* The main kid. The chances of them hiring him rather than just using his solution to the problem, which is a one-time-only deal anyway, and never telling him? Unlikely.

They needed him to help at the base as Rush was still having trouble

* Why didn't the main cast go to a stargate on another safe planet and wait to find out if Earth was okay, rather than randomly jumping through to some place they'd never seen before?

Rush's explanation is that when the planet exploded it could of followed through to earth which is true and would of been deadly, however, he also realised that the planet's core heating up was providing the power needed, Elli also figured out why the the address wasn't working (The Earth symbol was needed as a password of sorts to lock the wormhole, I think that's how he explained it, also another explaination for the 9th chevron) and also they believed that that planet was the only one from where they could dial to this mysterious new place and Rush wasn't letting his research from the last few years go to waste.

* The ship conveniently having CO2 scrubbers. If it was designed for them to find it, as will no doubt be revealed in a later episode, why not have the screen instructions in a language they can understand?

It wasn't designed for them to find at all. The ship was sent ahead with tohers, THOUSANDS of years ago to seed gates in a distant galaxy, and then the Ancients were to gate in to actually seed said galaxy, however, they learned to ascend before that could happen so the ship has just been going on along on cruise control waiting for someone that never showed up.

Just watched the latest episode of The Office and I am disgusted.

SPOILER - Highlight the black box to read

Six years worth of backstory for a payoff parodying a YouTube viral. That's the best they can come up with? The writers should be ashamed. It's double bad, as the episode up until that point was gold.

I cannot believe it. The shark has officially been jumped. Gutted.

• Moderators

Six years worth of backstory for a payoff parodying a YouTube viral. That's the best they can come up with? The writers should be ashamed. It's double bad, as the episode up until that point was gold.

No way, that totally fitted in with the show. Michael and co absolutely would have planned that the second they saw that video, so it's completely in line with the characters. Plus, they needed a way of avoiding a straight up exchanging vows scene, and intercutting between all that stuff was the perfect way to do it. Plus Creed grabbed his balls. It might not have played so well here because I believe the viral was a way bigger deal in the States than in the UK, where most people probably haven't heard of it. I was terrified that episode would be more sentiment than comedy, but it was awesome.

No way, that totally fitted in with the show. Michael and co absolutely would have planned that the second they saw that video, so it's completely in line with the characters. Plus, they needed a way of avoiding a straight up exchanging vows scene, and intercutting between all that stuff was the perfect way to do it. Plus Creed grabbed his balls. It might not have played so well here because I believe the viral was a way bigger deal in the States than in the UK, where most people probably haven't heard of it. I was terrified that episode would be more sentiment than comedy, but it was awesome.

Couldn't agree more. A satisfying pay off to one of the best episodes ever, in my opinion. I think The Office is excellent as mixing sentiment with comedy in just the right measures and only when it has to, and they nailed it here.

Jim's toast stole the show for me though. No matter how far the show veers away from its original central themes of akwardness within social interraction, it only takes one scene like that to remind you just how brilliant they are at it when they want to be.

EDIT: Oh, and Creed sat there eating his noodles in that fantastic opening sequence was hilarious too.

Edited by NEWM

Andy is currently my favourite part of the show, him crying at Jim's speech and the look on his face right after Pam threw up were tremendous. I also liked the Youtube parody bit, especially Kevin falling over.

I don't find Michael and Dwight anywhere near as funny as I used to though, which is a shame since they used to be the best part of the show. Dwight has become especially annoying.

Edited by Adam G

I can only assume Harper's Island will be reaching a conclusion on Sunday.

I really like the Wakefield character. They had better not come up with reasons for him being a killing lunatic. I'd rather he was just a madman on a mission myself. It's certainly helped with the last couple of episodes which have been terrific.

Roll on Sunday !

• Paid Members

Only three or four episodes left of Terminator now. Mixed feelings on the second season. Everything involving Shirley Manson and the John Henry saga is gold. I find all of that fascinating to watch. The guy who plays Cromartie is amazing as John Henry's puppet body and I've already heaped praise on Shirley Manson's icy performances. Her kid is adorable too, which makes it more tragic when she's being all playful with her "mother" and gets no response at all.

Every scene with Cameron is also great, and I'm still a fan of Derek. Lena Headey is consistently excellent too despite limited material for her. However, Riley, Jesse and most of John's scenes are absolutely insufferable. "I'm not trying to stop the war sweetie, I'm trying to win it". Who wrote that fucking dialogue? No one would say something that stupid. No one at all. Was it supposed to be a bad ass thing to say? Or her pointing out that they have different missions? Regardless, it's re. tar. ded. I was glad when Riley died.

Oh, and every character's failure to say the obvious thing or ask the obvious question is becoming unbearable too. I know every dramatic show has it but it feels particularly contrived in this show at times.

More John Henry, more Shirley Manson massacres, more Cameron. I can see why the ratings dipped for season 2 because it's nowhere near as watchable as the first series when half of every episode is cluttered with horrible and loathesome characters.

All of that said, what's good about the show is still very good and I will miss having new episodes to watch. A wasted opportunity I feel.