What have you been watching on (proper scripted) telly?

Dynamite Duane

• Paid Members

We are entitled to our own opinions. That said, I've been hooked on Girls since the second episode and think that it's an exceptionally well written TV show that manages to be both hilarious and moving at the same time. It

Anyone ever seen any of those “Born to Kill” documentaries about serial killers? Obviously serial killer documentaries (especially ones on the post notorious or prolific of killers) have been done to death, so the angle these documentaries take is to attempt to sum up weather they were born with the mental deficiencies that caused them to become a killer, or weather they were gradually, socially adapted into the death merchants they became.

I watched a couple of these last night. The Fred West one was nothing much new that I hadn't heard / seen before, but I didn’t really know much about South Carolina's Pee Wee Gaskins until last night. What a horrible bastard he was! It was pretty unsettling to see Gaskins' daughter talk so casually about hideous crimes like child murder and baby rape, and still refer lovingly to her father and his memory. The crazy bastard even managed to kill another man when in solitary confinement on death row by sneaking a bomb into the guy's cell, telling him it was some sort of phone that he should hold up to his head, and then blowing his brains out with it. Gaskin's claims to have killed over 100 victims in his murderous career, but the authorities estimate the number much lower than that.

So, yeah. That one was interesting.

Yeah, just watched that episode after your recommendation, the guy was clearly a psychopath with multiple personalities. What I do find intriguing though is why they don't focus on his racist behaviour more, I know it was more accepted then, but I'd bet a pound to a penny that he'd been abused by multiple black men whilst young, and infact was probably step-fathered by a black man at some point.

The final killing was strange in that vigilante justice doesn't seem like his sort of thing, but it exemplifies his multiple personalities. He was clearly a smart lad aswell for being able to figure that final killing out. I'm off to find another of that series.

Also, forgot to say, I found it hilarious that in some of the photos of him he looks vividly like Frank Sinatra, then in other he looks like Kramer from Seinfeld, polar opposites.

Edited by Jambo

After a convoluted first episode, I've really enjoyed the Irish series Jack Taylor on C5. At times it seems like a self-aware piss-take of the genre, with Ian Glen and his hushed dramatic voice and a scene in every episode where the title character takes a comedy beatdown. On the whole though, the mix between silliness and dark themes has proven very watchable over the last 3 weeks, and I'm looking forward to the new series later in the year and will probably pick up some of Ken Bruen's novels in the meantime.

I've finished the first season of Justified now, and everyone was right, it really picks up into a great show. This Golden Age of Television era just puts the bar so high that something has to be amazing for me to stick with it, but it is, so we're cool. I'm giddy with excitement at my boy Jeremy Davies showing up soon.

Good lad Astro, never doubt me again.

Incidentally, decent female character alert, in the next season:

tv-most-shocking-deaths-2011-justified-mags-bennett1.jpg

She kind of steals the show.

She's amazing.

Girls is absolute dreck though, but I would say that because, as Chest Rockwell will happily remind you in dark corners, I hate women me. Seriously though, awful show. Lena Dunham is exceptionally irritating and when James fuckin' Franco of all people manages to trash your show with some style, you're in trouble. But hey, as Lena says, she doesn't pay attention to "mixed reviews", so there's that.

• Moderators
Do not look at the url for that picture if you don't want spoilers!!!

Good call. I was going to, so I could see who the actress was.

Loki, you're a good many TV show and movie opinions from redeeming yourself yet. A stopped clock etc.

And Lena Dunham is the Yahoo Serious of the 21st century. A decade from now, all those fawning critics will wonder what the fuck everyone was thinking, and she'll be nothing but a punchline and a reference point to a specific period in time, like MC Hammer.

She's amazing.

Girls is absolute dreck though, but I would say that because, as Chest Rockwell will happily remind you in dark corners, I hate women me. Seriously though, awful show. Lena Dunham is exceptionally irritating and when James fuckin' Franco of all people manages to trash your show with some style, you're in trouble. But hey, as Lena says, she doesn't pay attention to "mixed reviews", so there's that.

I'm actually enjoying it, but I can see that it doesn't have the same cross-over appeal to other audiences, like I would say Mad Men has. It's basically 'First World Problems', the TV series. Perhaps as a graduate within the last two years I can relate somewhat more to the themes, though there is a level of satire to it. I mean, some of the lines they come out with, are laughable. No writer would ever play straight serious drama and try to have an audience empathise with these characters, with some of the stuff they come out with. I think however, from looking at Twitter, girls aged 18-23 are taking the show on as some sort of Sex and the City for their generation without recognising that satire. Also, Lena Dunham has the same disorder that Beth Ditto had of flaunting her fat ad nauseum; she really needs to stop that. It can get overly indulgent, like the episode a few weeks ago where Hannah has this affair for two days with the doctor, and stuff just pops up out of nowhere, like Hannah's OCD this week. I'm glad they got rid of Jessa, who has to be the most loathsome character in quite some time though I was a little disappointed that Joshua left. On the other hand, Adam is terrific, almost to the point of being on a whole other level from the rest.

Yeah, just watched that episode after your recommendation, the guy was clearly a psychopath with multiple personalities. What I do find intriguing though is why they don't focus on his racist behaviour more, I know it was more accepted then, but I'd bet a pound to a penny that he'd been abused by multiple black men whilst young, and infact was probably step-fathered by a black man at some point.

Yeah, a real chilling guy. The racism aspect came to light in the murder which consisted of drowning the girl that had been with a black guy and then proceeding to rape and murder her mixed race baby. I actually thought that the police guy's attitude to that story was a little strange when he said "well, she'd had sex with a black man and Pee Wee didn't believe in that, so that was his reason", almost as if this reasoning in some way partially excused such actions... Maybe I just read his demeanor wrong. I hope that's the case, anyway.

The final killing was strange in that vigilante justice doesn't seem like his sort of thing, but it exemplifies his multiple personalities. He was clearly a smart lad aswell for being able to figure that final killing out.

I'm not sure that justice was his motivation there, or at least not his only motivation. I think he was determined to add to his notoriety (a trait pointed to by the fact that he apparently confessed to more murders than he actually committed) and wanted to overcome the challenge of killing another inmate whilst both in solitary confinement. I agree about the intelligence needed to carry out that attack though. It's almost genius, when you think about it.

Alarming that they managed to so easily get the explosives into a prisoner of that status though.

I'm off to find another of that series.

I don't know where you saw the Gaskins one, but I've just stumbled across around 10 of these documentaries on youtube, so I too am off to watch another! I actually caught this one at 4am last night on one of the CI channels, and there's another one in that timeslot again tonight, which I saw advertised earlier.