What have you been watching on (proper scripted) telly?

Dynamite Duane

NEWM, I find it weird how you specifically ask for your Wire viewing not to be spoiled by us via spoilers, then you post key moments in the plot without any spoiler tags, which could ruin the show for anyone who was planning to watch it.

NEWM, I find it weird how you specifically ask for your Wire viewing not to be spoiled by us via spoilers, then you post key moments in the plot without any spoiler tags, which could ruin the show for anyone who was planning to watch it.

Yeah, good save. Excitement at what I just watched overcame me, I think. Now all Spoiler boxed up, sorry about that.

I've not watched the US Office since the end of the 09/10 season. The opening scene of last year's season really made me feel as though the show had disappeared up its own arse.

My weekly download schedule for comedies is

Community

Parks & Rec

Always Sunny in Philadelphia

Big Bang Theory

How I Met Your Mother (which really isn't very funny anymore)

Modern Family

Any others that I should know about?

Have you tried the middle?

No, I haven't. I'll maybe give that a go.

I was in America the other week and there were a couple of sitcoms I hadn't heard of on.

Happy Endings (with Elisha Cuthbert)

The New Adventures of Old Christine

They seem to get decent (not great) reviews.

Incidentally, anyone looking to get into Parks & Rec really needs to just accept that the first season is an absolute pile of steaming shite. But beyond that they tweak the characters and it becomes fantastic.

I've only ever caught The Middle on TV at my sister's (I think it's on a Sky Channel either before or after Modern Family?), and haven't been impressed.

I might rewatch Arrested Development. It's been about five or six years since I saw it, and I don't remember it as fondly as I think of the US Office, Modern Family, Parks and Rec, or It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia (which I heartily recommend, especially to misanthropes).

A lot of these sitcoms can't just be watched as a one off though. If you watch one individual episode of Arrested Development it won't make much sense and you won't enjoy it.

Similarly I remember watching an episode of the Big Bang Theory a few years back and I wasn't remotely impressed, but when I decided to watch them all from the start I enjoyed them far more.

• Paid Members

Workaholics is fucking great. I only started watching from season 2 and it's up there with my favorites. They always squeeze in something wrestling related as well.

Somebody mentioned "Happy Endings" which is great also. Kind of a sleeper hit though due to only finding its from towards the end of season 1.

Damon Wayne's actually took the pilot for "New Girl" because he thought Happy Endings had no chance of coming back.

Edited by Fox Piss

• Paid Members
That might be true. I've only ever seen the odd episode of Big Bang Theory and I don't get it at all.

It started of good enough, now it's just turned into Friends over this past season. The comedy has just become very broad and dumbed down.

Big Bang Theory is clever comedy for dumb people.