UKFF Questions Thread V2

neil

Just thought, was anyone at Time Warner ever actually that bothered about the Monday Night Wars? Surely if Nitro (and the other shows) were doing great numbers without actually beating Raw and the company was doing well money wise then they would've been happy enough

I'm talking second half of 1998 really not '99/2000 when they were losing shitloads of money

• Paid Members
Cheers. When was the next one after that?

The Minnesota Wrecking Crew (Ole and Gene) vacated the NWA tag belts in 1981 due to "injury" to Gene Anderson, which was actual health problems that caused him to retire.

Not including injuries that I know (or at least strongly suspect) to have been 100% storyline, the next one may very well have been Shawn Michaels stripped of the Intercontinental title due to his concussion preventing him wrestling on the night against Dean Douglas at the fourth In Your House. Although legitimate, his injuries weren't as severe as they made out on TV, he was back in the ring on a house show by 3rd November, 12 days after the PPV.

Was that when he and Bulldog got into a scrap with some military guys in Saracuse?

Yeah, remember cringing when Bret said in his book about Bulldog telling him they were slamming the car door on HBK's face, though for it to be a proper Bret story they'd have been saying about how Bret had given them the greatest match they'd ever seen while knocking fuck out of them both

• Paid Members
Was that when he and Bulldog got into a scrap with some military guys in Saracuse?

Yes. The heavily reported beating that he took which prompted his TV absence from the ring until Survivors, collapse the night after, "career-threatening post-concussion syndrome" and triumphant return at the Rumble.

While cleaning out some stuff at my parents house I stumbled across the programme for a WWF show I was at in the run up to WMIX, fairly standard profiles of the superstars on the tour, but the one for Crush caught my eye, as it states under titles "None as of press time"

This got me thinking, firstly, even though he defended the belts, because he never actually won the tag titles for Demolition, does that not count as a title reign? Or were we not meant to know this was the same guy (even at the time I knew they were the same guy)

I've often thought before if we were supposed to put the two characters together or not too. They were crystal clear about it when he was ex-con Crush in 96, it was a "he's out the nick and he's got triangles on his face, it's a new and more dangerous Crush than ever!", but not so much when he came back from his holiday in Kona in 92. Seems more of a rare occasion where they were looking for a complete gimmick transformation and new backstory, but just decided to keep the name.

There's so much stupid shit like that in wrestling that it beggars belief that they ever made such a stink about "kayfabe." Even in the sixties, if you had a cousin three cities over that you could phone, you'd know what the result was going to be when the loop got to your town that night. The fanbase can only ever have been kids, pure morons and people who knew it was a load of fake bollocks in the first place.

I'm pretty sure there's a bit in one of the Chandler novels where Phillip Marlowe refers to the wrestlers as fake and hokey but I annoyingly can't remember which one.

Turns out I might be wrong. In the 1953 novel the long goodbye Marlowe refers to the society pages as dog vomit and then says it makes even the wrestlers look good which I had in my head as the society pages are so full of shit even compared to the hokey wrestlers but I guess it probably just refers to wrestlers being ugly bastards. Don't have the novel anymore so I'm not sure on the context.

Edited by Vamp

• Paid Members
I've often thought before if we were supposed to put the two characters together or not too. They were crystal clear about it when he was ex-con Crush in 96, it was a "he's out the nick and he's got triangles on his face, it's a new and more dangerous Crush than ever!"

I think they were wanting to bring back the "Demolition" Crush character when he went heel in 1994. Sure I read on Cawthorn's WWF Results site, that he came out in full Demolition gear, during a dark match on Monday Night Raw. Walked around the ring and left. It didn't happen again.