UKFF Questions Thread V2

neil

• Paid Members
What were the plans for Mr. Perfect in 1992/93 if Ultimate Warrior had teamed with Savage at Survivor Series, as originally scheduled?

There weren't any. Hennig had been talking about feeling good enough to return to the ring, but nothing imminent was planned. They literally turned him face to accept Savage's offer on Prime Time because Warrior couldn't team with Savage as originally scheduled. It was a good bit of crisis booking.

Has there been any updates on Heenan?

I think the last I heard or saw was the horrific 2010 pictures. I hope he's attained a relative level of health and well being.

I read he was at Wrestlecon during WM weekend and in good spirits.

Didn't see any pics though, hope he's well.

Those photos from a few years back looked bad, but even they were from signings/appearances where he was in good spirits.

I think he had a section or sections of his jaw removed, which doesn't look pleasant on camera but solved the health issues he had.

Rewatching two PPVs today the first being Summerslam 1988 & the other UK Rampage 1993 a few questions sprang to mind.

1. Why did the UK get poor matches when compared to other foreign shows on the tour?

For instance we had Perfect wrestle one of the headshrinkers and Duggan wrestle Luger. As this was supposed to be all about Wrestlemania fallout im suprised they never did Steiners/Money Inc or even give us Yoko/Duggan & Luger/Perfect (Mania Rematch).

2. Watching Summerslam and its very rare to see a card then I wasent happy with but who put that card together? To me I felt the card just plain sucked as it was missing a few important matches. One was Jake/Rude that should of been on the show.

Im not sure where everyone stands on this show but I would of preferred a Wrestlemania Rematch for the WWF title between Savage & Ted be it a singles match or just end the feud in a Cage match. Hogan & Andre in a singles match for their 4 and final encounter as they both had won a piece from Mania 3 & The Main Event plus the double DQ at mania 4.

Was there beef with Beefcake? He was booked to face Honky yet they came up with a injury angle so guessing there was a reason to write him off the PPV. Was it really true they tried to book Ric Flair to come to this show and face Savage?

Alot of matches at this show didnt really make sense but then I guess its like why Tito & Greg didnt battle for the IC strap at the first mania.

• Paid Members

Why would they have done Rude vs Jake? Doing a match everyone could see on PPV would have murdered their run on the house shows.

Pay-per-views meant fuck all back then to the wrestlers. To fans 25 years later its all rosey. But at the time, it was just another show in a line 330. The wrestlers worked the night before WrestleMania III. The likes of Duggan toned down their ring style in the WWF, because they simply didn't want to do an all out brawling style on a ring which might as well be made of cement for 300-plus days a year.

• Paid Members
Rewatching two PPVs today the first being Summerslam 1988 & the other UK Rampage 1993 a few questions sprang to mind.

UK Rampage wasn't a PPV, but OK.

1. Why did the UK get poor matches when compared to other foreign shows on the tour?

For instance we had Perfect wrestle one of the headshrinkers and Duggan wrestle Luger. As this was supposed to be all about Wrestlemania fallout im suprised they never did Steiners/Money Inc or even give us Yoko/Duggan & Luger/Perfect (Mania Rematch).

This is half a decent point. I say only half because Dublin, Glasgow, Aberdeen, Newcastle, Birmingham, London, Bournemouth, Brighton and Exeter all got the superior and more logical line-ups given the talent on display, with the exceptions being that Lombardi wrestled as Kimchee rather than Brawler on all the other shows, and Jerry Sags and Yoko got the night off in Sheffield. So, fuck you Sheffield. I guess decision to show the weaker lineup on the one being broadcast live (and recorded for the tape) was made so as not to spoil for the fans still attending the later legs of the tour - Aberdeen, Newcastle, Brighton, London, Glasgow, Dublin - by broadcasting on telly the exact same show they were all going to see.

For point of reference, the "better" cards on the tour were :

Hacksaw Duggan v Yokozuna

Mr Perfect v Lex Luger

Crush v Doink

(I Title) Shawn Michaels v Bob Backlund

Nasty Boys v Headshrinkers

Kamala v Kimchee

Typhoon v Damien Demento

Interestingly enough on the same tour there were second shows in London, Glasgow, Newcastle, Birmingham and one in Belfast that featured THIS mega lineup :

Bret Hart v Bam Bam Bigelow

Undertaker v Giant Gonzalez

Steiners v Money Inc (Tag title match with DQ finish everywhere except Glasgow where Steiners won non-title)

Tatanka v Papa Shango

El Matador v Doink

Bushwhackers v Beverly Brothers

Virgil v Terry Taylor

- which is the same card they got in Essen, Frankfurt, Barcelona and Milan, except in those cities Undertaker rumbled with Yoko instead.

Yeah, poor Sheffield.

2. Watching Summerslam and its very rare to see a card then I wasent happy with but who put that card together? To me I felt the card just plain sucked as it was missing a few important matches. One was Jake/Rude that should of been on the show.

Im not sure where everyone stands on this show but I would of preferred a Wrestlemania Rematch for the WWF title between Savage & Ted be it a singles match or just end the feud in a Cage match. Hogan & Andre in a singles match for their 4 and final encounter as they both had won a piece from Mania 3 & The Main Event plus the double DQ at mania 4.

It's "should have" and "would have", but OK. Butch and Ian have already made the point about house show business specific to the other feuds, but in regards to this one - they had just drawn 26,000 people to Milwaukee for WrestleFest for those exact two matches (Hogan/Andre being in a cage) at the end of July, and part of the reason they would have been able to to is not one of those 26,000 people were able to think "fuck it, I'll just watch SummerSlam instead." And for the preceding months, every wrestling fan in the States had to get off their arse to go and see Randy defend the title against Ted DiBiase.

Andre was pretty much just in the match because it made sense for him to tag up with DiBiase based off Mania, his REAL feud on TV and at the live shows was already Duggan in the months prior to SummerSlam. He wasn't really feuding with Hogan any more since The Hulkster missed half the summer filming No Holds Barred. Hogan had literally ONE more match with Andre between 'Mania IV and SummerSlam, a DQ finish in the first ever WWF show at Greensboro - putting on the biggest match they had to try and make a mark in an NWA stronghold, which they also did when the WWF ran the Omni in October of that year.

What SummerSlam did do was set up interest in the two biggest matches on the cards they'd run throughout the autumn - Savage vs Andre for the title and Hogan vs DiBiase grudge match for DiBiase screwing Hogan out of the belt twice over. Part of the reason people (like myself) think it was better back in the olden days was that stuff gets so protected - you went to the live shows to see what you didn't see on TV. I haven't got off my arse to go and see WWE live since 2003, because quite frankly I've seen it all already. When I was on holiday in Tokyo WWE ran Sumo Hall which was a mere five minute train ride from where I was staying, and I couldn't be bothered, because 411 had the announced lineup, and I'd seen all the matches on TV, and they simply weren't interesting.

As an interesting aside, the blurb above means the following about the final Hogan/Andre "score" since Andre's turn, not counting babyface Andre v heel Hogan from the turn of the decade :

WMIII : Hogan by pinfall (1-0)

Main Event : Andre by (dodgy) pinfall (1-1)

WMIV : double DQ

WrestleFest : Hogan by cage escape (2-1)

Greensboro : Hogan by DQ (3-1)

Atlanta : Hogan by DQ (4-1)

So, 2-1 Hogan if you only want to count decisive wins, and 1-1 if you only count pinfalls, in their whole run. I know you're probably thinking "what about house shows in 1987?" They didn't wrestle on house shows, they didn't need that big a match to draw the houses, and knew to keep the best of the best in reserve, as they did with Hogan VS Warrior, for when they wanted to draw single HUGE crowds rather than runs of sell outs of smaller venues. 1987 closed with a small number of tags with Hogan/Orndorff or Bigelow v Andre/Rude or Bundy, and that was it. In fact, Andre didn't wrestle any singles matches on house shows in 1987 after Mania III. When Gorilla Monsoon made the unbelievable-sounding claim at Survivors that "Andre the Giant hasn't been in a ring since WrestleMania III" he was telling the truth. In addition, that battle royal we all loved from Saturday Nights Main Event before Mania III was pretty much Andre's only match of the year before the big one too.

Was there beef with Beefcake? He was booked to face Honky yet they came up with a injury angle so guessing there was a reason to write him off the PPV.

I'm guessing they just wanted to get a mega pop for the surprise of Warrior. Beefcake's real feud was scheduled to be Bass (for obvious reasons) after SummerSlam, as Warrior defended against Honky in rematches on the house show circuit.

Was it really true they tried to book Ric Flair to come to this show and face Savage?

Flair says in his bookie :

In the spring of 1988, Vince McMahon called me with a straightforward question : "What do you think about coming to the World Wrestling Federation?" He already knew what he wanted to do with me. When the first SummerSlam debuted on August 29, 1988, I would be in the main event, challenging Randy Savage for the World Wrestling Federation title.

"I'm thrilled that you're giving me the opportunity," I responded, "but I don't know."

I tried to explain that the NWA had been my home since 1974, and parting ways with the organization seemed a little frightening. Even though I was getting the runaround from Jimmy (Crockett) and Dusty (Rhodes), I wasn't politically astute enough to deal with being romanced by the guy who I didn't know. Despite the strain between Dusty and myself, I approached him and mentioned Vince's offer. But instead of trying to find some sort of common ground, he just countered, "All right. Go to Roanoke today and drop the title to Luger.

(snip part where he rags on Dusty as a booker)

Still, I felt an obligation to the NWA. I couldn't walk away from the organization. So I continued working for Crockett while the company crumbled.