UKFF Questions Thread V2

neil

• Paid Members
I'm probably being worked like it's 1989, but what is the deal with McMahon's commentary during the Austin - Bret Hart match at the Survivor Series in 1996? It does seem rather mean-spirited, even though McMahon is the good guy commentator here.

"Bret Hart's offence looks like nothing at all"

"He should have stayed retired"

"Austin is the miles better competitor and wrestler!"

Things like that. The match is on Vintage Collection this week.

Am I right in remembering that, at the end of the match, JR makes a reference that 'On this night, Bret Hart was unbeatable, and proved he could beat anybody - even Shawn Michaels', and McMahon vehemently disagrees?

• Paid Members
Wasn't that around the time WCW were chucking stupid money at Bret to sign with them?

Just after. Bret had just signed a lower-in-the-short term, higher-in-the-long-run contract with the WWF, after WCW had thrown the stupid money at him.

I've just remembered another small detail from that match (I think). At one point, Austin goes for the Sharpshooter on Bret, and JR makes reference to the unlikeliness of Bret submitting to his own move. Vince replies 'It could happen'.

Amusing, considering what came at the following years event.

I'm probably being worked like it's 1989, but what is the deal with McMahon's commentary during the Austin - Bret Hart match at the Survivor Series in 1996? It does seem rather mean-spirited, even though McMahon is the good guy commentator here.

Isn't that Vince laying the foundations for Brets heel turn when he dd the 'shoot' type promo on Vince and the way that he'd been mistreated and undervalued by the WWE?

• Paid Members

Isn't that Vince laying the foundations for Brets heel turn when he dd the 'shoot' type promo on Vince and the way that he'd been mistreated and undervalued by the WWE?

It could be, but if it was, he either didn't tell Bret, or Bret has kept kayfabe since then.

In both 'Wrestling with Shadows' and his autobiography, Bret talks about the heel turn coming later than that, as far as I remember.

That said, I'm more than willing to be corrected on this if someone can remind me of something I'm forgetting.

Does anyone know anything regarding a downloadable video from I believe highspots.com. It was about this small wrestling company somewhere in the Deep South of America putting on a wrasslin show in a car park and had some incredibly low IQ'd wrestlers on it. Any info would be great as I would love to see this again!

• Paid Members

A question I can't believe I'm asking, but I've heard differing versions a few times.

During the original run of ECW, did Vince McMahon have anything to do with it. I know there was an ECW / WWF working relationship of sorts, but did Vince do anything else in relation to Extreme Championship Wrestling? Did he bank roll it at all?