UKFF Questions Thread V2

neil

Was Mongo McMichael supposed to be a commentator when he first joined WCW or was he injured at the time and they just gave him the job till he was fit again? The combination of him and Bischoff on those early Nitro's is up there with Mooney and Hayes as worst commentary teams of all time, as much as I love the Bisch, his commentating is brutal, he tries to call it like a sport 75% of the match, the other 25% he mumbles a load of shite that's got nothing to do with the match.

Been watching the 50 Greatest Superstars DVD, which was pretty good, but I digress.

My question is, what is the name of the 2nd bit of music that plays in the Nick Bockwinkel segment. (I cant find a link for it online)

I realise that it is probably a bit of stock music, however it is a remix/extended version of a track Ive been trying to find the name of for years as was also the intro music to Havoc 9

Can Anyone Help

• Paid Members
Was Mongo McMichael supposed to be a commentator when he first joined WCW or was he injured at the time and they just gave him the job till he was fit again? The combination of him and Bischoff on those early Nitro's is up there with Mooney and Hayes as worst commentary teams of all time, as much as I love the Bisch, his commentating is brutal, he tries to call it like a sport 75% of the match, the other 25% he mumbles a load of shite that's got nothing to do with the match.

Mongo was doing punditry on a few pop culture based shows and was one of those "he's crackers this lad" type figures. It would be like Clive James doing commentary for IPW: UK or something. And the WWF wanted him (based on his pretty standout performance at WrestleMania XI), so WCW needed to sign him after hearing that. Bischoff always wanted to bring in people outside wrestling to do stuff like this on a wrestling show. Local superstar disc jockey DJ Ran and MTV's Ricky Rackman spring to mind when WCW fell off a cliff in 1999 and more recently Bubba The Love Sponge in TNA were examples of this. Mongo's a funny character and supposedly a top bloke, but on commentary he was worse than when he actually wrestled. No surprise that almost to the day he was replaced on commentary, ratings went up. Some say it was out to Hall and Nash, but this had to play a role as well. I still cant get "Bobby the Stain" and "Bobby Hernia" out of my brain even now.

As far as whether he was meant to be a wrestler, I think he was training as he commentated, so it gave him something to do while he was training.

Edited by The_BarbarIAN

• Paid Members

Bischoff more or less said so on WCW Live in February 2001. He said if he was clean, he'd be a huge asset. And at the time, Scott Hall was clean. He even got custody of his kids in 2001, and was getting raves from New Japan officials for his conduct and his performances. He probably deserved a second chance based on how everyone thought he was doing at the time. Thats the reason WWF eventually hired him, because everyone was convinced he'd overcame his demons. WWF said in 2001 they would consider hiring Hall if he could prove he could stay sober, and they brought him in when Nash's contract was up. Then he got back on the road and it all fell apart. Shame. The WWF seemed keen to push Hall to the moon in 2002.

Edited by The_BarbarIAN

Oh thanks. It's a shame really that the relaunch couldn't have gone through. I was just thinking as well that maybe if they had of given him a lighter schedule there wouldn't have been as much pressure, but he couldn't cope with the same sort of thing in his TNA runs either.

Edited by ThePhenom

Is the Pele kick AJ Styles does named after the footballer Pele?

Yes.

Tenay often referred to it as a "soccer style kick made famous by Pay-lay" back when AJ first started using it regularly.

Was going to ipw:uk 2006-8 ,guessing they've given up the game. But what happened to JC Thunder, Paul Robinson, Ashley Reed and Andy Simmons? I know Andy got injured badly.

I think Paul Robinson does the London School of Lucha Libre.

What exactly happened to Andy Simmons?

What is the regarded to be the best episode of wrestling television (non-PPV) ever?

A lot of people say the episode of Raw from the night after Wrestlemania 14 is. I'd say that's pretty thread worthy, if it hasn't been done already.