UKFF Questions Thread V2

neil

Who is the bastard who invented contraception for Unicorns?

Seriously though, does anyone know if Tommy Boyd had a financial interest in FWA Revival 1?

There was only one Revival - the show held at Crystal Palace with Guerrero and Christopher and the tourney featuring Williams and Fleisch in the final. Technically, it wasn't an FWA show, although all the organisation, booking and essentially the wrestlers were FWA. It was promoted under the SWAT (Supreme Wrestling Alliance Tour, I think) banner. I don't know for sure that Boyd put in his own money, but he certainly sourced a lot of the cash to get things done for that show. It may have come from Talksport or some other source he had, but the show wouldn't have happened (or at least, not in that form) if not for Tommy Boyd.

• Paid Members

I remember on the radio show he asked people to address cheques for tickets to 'Tommy Boyd promotions'. So I always thought he was the main money guy behind it.

You wonder why Boyd just quit promoting after that show. Maybe the experience soured him.

• Paid Members

We all know the story about how near the end of the Monday Night Wars, WCW gave Goldberg vs Hogan away for free on Nitro, which spiked the Nitro ratings for that week in the USA.

Did it have any effect on ratings in the UK or indeed any other country?

From Issue 50 of 'Power Slam' (September 1998):

In the UK, Raw and Nitro are tied: from April through to the end of June, each programme was watched in an average of 240,000 homes per week. (And, remember, the WWF is at a huge disadvantage in the UK: according to the latest figures, TNT is received in 2,039,063 homes - almost twice as many as Sky Sports 3's total of 1,086,351).

As the Hogan vs Goldberg match was on July 6th (the very next week after the above stats) I would presume it won't have made much of a difference to the ratings in the UK for either programme.

• Paid Members
From Issue 50 of 'Power Slam' (September 1998):

In the UK, Raw and Nitro are tied: from April through to the end of June, each programme was watched in an average of 240,000 homes per week. (And, remember, the WWF is at a huge disadvantage in the UK: according to the latest figures, TNT is received in 2,039,063 homes - almost twice as many as Sky Sports 3's total of 1,086,351).

As the Hogan vs Goldberg match was on July 6th (the very next week after the above stats) I would presume it won't have made much of a difference to the ratings in the UK for either programme.

Thanks for that :thumbsup:

Always wanted to know specifically when Nation Of Domination was formed and when Sgt Slaughter became heel in 1990.

There was a version in USWA beforehand, but the WWF debut of the Nation of Domination was at the 1996 Survivor Series - no angle, no vignettes, just new music and Faarooq in new gear.

Always wanted to know specifically when Nation Of Domination was formed and when Sgt Slaughter became heel in 1990.

From Historyofwwe.com

WWF Superstars

7/21/90 - featured an 'Update' segment where it was announced Bret Hart & Jim Neidhart would face WWF Tag Team Champions Demolition at Summer Slam in a Best 2 out of 3 falls contest and only two members of Demolition would be allowed at ringside; it was also announced that despite Brutus Beefcake being sidelined with injury that WWF IC Champion Mr. Perfect will still defend the IC Title at Summer Slam; included the announcement WWF World Champion the Ultimate Warrior would face Rick Rude in a steel cage match at the show; featured Rick Rude & Bobby Heenan as guests of the Brother Love Show, during which Rude said he would be facing the Warrior before Summer Slam and he would be champion going in to the event; included a promo from Sapphire showing a bracelet she had received from a mystery admirer; featured the first vignette promoting the return of Sgt. Slaughter, with Slaughter saying he was no longer proud of his country after they welcomed Nikolai Volkoff with open arms and that America was soft:

Then it was all vignettes and interviews about how shit the USA was (including accepting a Great American award from Brother Love at Summerslam 90, looking fat as fuck) until 9th September, when he returned to the ring, squashing a jobber.