The UKFF Comics n Graphic Novels thread

Famous Mortimer

The Dark Knight Returns: Part 2 is out on DVD/Blu Ray in the states on January 29th, with a UK release later in the year

That's a quicker turn around than expected. I'd heard rumours of around April-May for the release. Good news though

• 4 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

I'm way into Batman at the moment. The down time in work has really given me the opportunity to check out the TPB's and Graphic Novels and I'm borderline obsessed.

Currently I have,

The Dark Knight Returns

Knightfall vol 1 & 2

A Death in the Family

Gothic

Arkham Asylum Living Hell

Batman Year One

Cacophony

The Widening Gyre

Batman & Robin Must Die!

Broken City

The Killing Joke

R.I.P.

Half of which I've read over the last couple of weeks. So Bat-fans what I'm getting round to is any recommendations? I expect I'm going to order Hush and The Long Halloween soon but after that I'm buying a bit more randomly. I think I'm done with buying single issues though, TPBs are the way forward as much as it goes against my comic geek tradition instincts.

I'm way into Batman at the moment. The down time in work has really given me the opportunity to check out the TPB's and Graphic Novels and I'm borderline obsessed.

Currently I have,

The Dark Knight Returns

Knightfall vol 1 & 2

A Death in the Family

Gothic

Batman Year One

Cacophony

The Widening Gyre

Batman & Robin Must Die!

Broken City

The Killing Joke

R.I.P.

Half of which I've read over the last couple of weeks. So Bat-fans what I'm getting round to is any recommendations? I expect I'm going to order Hush and The Long Halloween soon but after that I'm buying a bit more randomly. I think I'm done with buying single issues though, TPBs are the way forward as much as it goes against my comic geek tradition instincts.

I was trying to build the collection on this Batman Timeline but there's been some other stuff added to the list I made a while back, but that should have some information on some books to get if you're interested

• Paid Members

Wow nice one. That wil be a good resource. Is continuity super important in Batman? So far they seem refrential but self contained enough it doesnt seem like an issue. What would you say is must have if that is the case?

I got the most recent Marvel What If? TPB Through the post today, which I look forward to reading whilst my girlfriend tried to make me watch Cabaret. Also decided to get involved with panini collector edition re-prints which got me into comics in the first place. Picked up Avengers Assemble where a new crossover was starting called Fear Itself. Have mixed feelings so far. Odin kicking the shit out of Thor was good, but the whole thing about 7 hammers falling to earth was a bit lame. Reckon I'll stick it out though as i'm a bit of a melt when it comes to anything Asgard.

Edit: It's Chicago, I've just been told. Either way, I'm reading comics instead.

Edited by kendal mint cake

Wow nice one. That wil be a good resource. Is continuity super important in Batman? So far they seem refrential but self contained enough it doesnt seem like an issue. What would you say is must have if that is the case?

I'm not 100% sure really, I just like to know a full history of what I'm reading. I think with Batman it's easier to jump on too as long as you know some of the important stuff before hand. For example I've got a friend at work who claims to be a massive Batman fan, but only knows of Dick Grayson as Robin. He wouldn't be able to jump on to new comics now with Damian as the current Robin

I was trying to build the collection on this Batman Timeline but there's been some other stuff added to the list I made a while back, but that should have some information on some books to get if you're interested

That Timeline

• Paid Members

Starlin could have been a magnificent writer, only he settled on the generic MOR easy ride. Cult was a great Batman arc...one of my faves.

Cacophony was horrendous. I bought it purely as a Kevin Smith fan first and Batman fan second, and was disappointed on both counts.

Old news, but worth a remention.

Deadpool - What Could Have Been

Currently I have,

The Dark Knight Returns

Knightfall vol 1 & 2

A Death in the Family

Gothic

Batman Year One

Cacophony

The Widening Gyre

Batman & Robin Must Die!

Broken City

The Killing Joke

R.I.P.

Definitely get The Long Haloween, one of my favourite bat books. Dark Victory is a great follow up too. Grant Morrison's Arkham Asylum is a must too, its like a fucked up moving painting. I'd also recommend Scott Snyder's recent works The Black Mirror and Court of Owls too, I love his writing. I find continuity isnt that important with Bats. Obviously things happen and change but most arcs are fairly contained an you can enjoy them without knowing everything that ever happened to The Dark Knight.

I'm really enjoying the current Death of the Family stuff. Some of the tie in issues have been really good too, especially this weeks Batman and Robin which has some great one on one stuff with Damien and Joker. I also recently got hold of both the original run and all New 52 issues of Batman Incorporated as it intrigued me, so I look forward to diving into that soon.

Edited by Harvey Dent

• Paid Members
Wow nice one. That will be a good resource. Is continuity super important in Batman? So far they seem referential but self contained enough it doesn't seem like an issue. What would you say is must have if that is the case?

I'm not 100% sure really, I just like to know a full history of what I'm reading. I think with Batman it's easier to jump on too as long as you know some of the important stuff before hand. For example I've got a friend at work who claims to be a massive Batman fan, but only knows of Dick Grayson as Robin. He wouldn't be able to jump on to new comics now with Damian as the current Robin

Funny you mention that. A few hours after posting about Bats continuity I'm reading Batman & Robin Must Die! thinking what the fuck is going on!? I like to think I have a good general knowledge of the character and history but apparently that doesn't apply to the last few years. I vaguely remembered reading about Damian after scratch my head for a minute but it took me a while. Also it may be just me but I find Grant Morrison quite hard to read. I found R.I.P. to be the same. Seems really disjointed to me. Having said that I really liked Gothic and had no problem with it so it can't me all Morrison.

Starlin could have been a magnificent writer, only he settled on the generic MOR easy ride. Cult was a great Batman arc...one of my faves.

Cacophony was horrendous. I bought it purely as a Kevin Smith fan first and Batman fan second, and was disappointed on both counts.

Old news, but worth a remention.

Deadpool - What Could Have Been

What was it you didn't like about Cacophony? I thought it was simple but good fun with a neat new Villain. Widening Gyre I also liked but found Smith wrote Bats dialogue to be WAY to much like Smith's personal inflections rather than keeping to the way Batman usually sounds.

Definitely get The Long Haloween, one of my favourite bat books. Dark Victory is a great follow up too. Grant Morrison's Arkham Asylum is a must too, its like a fucked up moving painting. I'd also recommend Scott Snyder's recent works The Black Mirror and Court of Owls too, I love his writing. I find continuity isnt that important with Bats. Obviously things happen and change but most arcs are fairly contained an you can enjoy them without knowing everything that ever happened to The Dark Knight.

I'm really enjoying the current Death of the Family stuff. Some of the tie in issues have been really good too, especially this weeks Batman and Robin which has some great one on one stuff with Damien and Joker. I also recently got hold of both the original run and all New 52 issues of Batman Incorporated as it intrigued me, so I look forward to diving into that soon.

Cheers for that I'll track down all of that lot.

EDIT - To get the ball rolling I've just ordered Long Halloween. I can't seem to find it in store anywhere here.

Edited by DEF

Anyone reading anything else other than the DC/Marvel stuff recently? I've been picking up Grant Morrison's Happy! which is good, along with the wrestling related, digital-only Swerve, Bedlam (which I've yet to read yet, despite owning issues 1 and 2 or 4) and the new MMA-related Joe Palooka, which I've also yet to read yet