Holy Grail: The true story of British Wrestling's revival

Victor Is God

HOLY GRAIL: The true story of British Wrestling's revival by Greg Lambert, is ON SALE NOW.

SKU-000611299.gif

Available in perfect bound softcover paperback from http://www.authorhouse.co.uk/Bookstore/Boo...d=SKU-000611299

Pro wrestling in America is a multi-billion dollar business. Pro wrestling in Britain is skint and hasn't been on national television since the days of Big Daddy and Giant Haystacks. For British Wrestling, a resurrection is long overdue. But with no money and no TV deal, the revival was never going to be easy

• Paid Members

Sounds interesting. It is pretty much my era's British wrestling boom. It was around the time I found out wrestling over here wasn't fat blokes in leotards (although there was still a load of them about). I might get this. Nice little price of 12 quid as well. I remember the 1PW book was quite expensive, so I passed on that.

Hat Guy, get reviewing this please? You are my Oprah when it comes to stuff like this.

• Paid Members
Sounds interesting. It is pretty much my era's British wrestling boom. It was around the time I found out wrestling over here wasn't fat blokes in leotards (although there was still a load of them about). I might get this. Nice little price of 12 quid as well. I remember the 1PW book was quite expensive, so I passed on that.

Hat Guy, get reviewing this please? You are my Oprah when it comes to stuff like this.

Ha! Predictably, I have actually already ordered the book - I've been looking forward to this one for a while now. The period Greg describes in the blurb above is also the exact same period that I started following British wrestling, and have my own first-hand impressions and opinions on a lot of what sounds like the book covers. As such, much of the content is likely to resonate with me, and I'm looking forward to reliving it and seeing it again through other people's eyes.

If it arrives soon, it should be a good travel companion for my journeys to GPW and PCW in a couple of weeks - I'll let you know how I get on...

• Paid Members

Just finished it, and I'd definitely say it's a strong thumbs up on the Kindle. It's actually far more autobiographical than the blurb might suggest, though obviously Greg was involved in some way with a lot of stuff -- it's not a comprehensive history of the past decade in British wrestling, but rather the whole FWA/Alex Shane Supershow element of it. It comes across as very honest covering both the good and bad sides of people -- particularly Alex Shane -- though there's a very clear pattern of people absolutely loving being in wrestling, but ending up much happier and healthier when they are out of it. It's also got a very good balance of the in-ring/on-screen stuff and the behind-the-scenes stories. As you'd expect it's well-written and very readable.

Archived