General Movie (Film for snobs) News Thread

CaptainCharisma

I've said it before and I'll say it again, too many big companies have put too much money into 3D for it to just disapear overnight. Its here for the long haul folks. Personally I love 3D for the reasons I mentioned on the last page. Gimmicky 3d gets tired quick, but when used peoperly it can really add to a film. It'll never replace a good storyline, but it can make a film look simply stunning. If Avataur had been in 2D I would have dismissed it as another cgi fest with a crap story. But the 3d effects combined with the cgi and live action were stunning and simply beautiful. The story was still crap though :p

• Paid Members
As long as the option is there to watch things at the cinema without 3D then I don't mind too much. But if every movie starts doing it I really can't see myself going often.

They would never do that because some people can't see 3D.

In a way that's good I guess, but this triggers another problem, if cinemas start showing major films in 3D and non 3D versions, that's twice as many screens taken up, or half as many individual films to choose from at each place.

• Paid Members
I've seen several 'modern' 3D films now, A Christmas Carol, Alice in Wonderland, Toy Story and Avatar....personally I think it works well with animated movies, I loved its usage in Christmas Carol and Toy Story, but live action in 3D I just don't like. It's like my eyes are trying to process too much and it just hurts after a while. Hated Avatar. Hated it.

My first modern 3D experience was Shrek and I loved it, after that was Resident Evil. With Shrek (maybe cos it was my first) I felt like the 3D was playing as major role. With RE4, as with Jackass actually, I didn't feel like it was about the 3D, like I said before, it just seemed like the next step.

I've heard that argument before, and it seemed compelling at first. But if it's the case, then why are they also pushing 3D tvs so hard?

Despite what some say, if you already subscribe to Sky HD then there is no extra charge for 3D other than getting you equipment. I think they're pushing this because the technology has reached a point where it could stick around rather than being a fad. As it stands the glasses are much better to wear than the old cardboard blue and red ones and if you normally wear glasses for watching TV you can wear the 2 together, or at least my 4 eyed friends have found it workable anyway.

The film industry is pushing hard as it makes cam-copies impossible & will go a long way to combating piracy. Sky are pushing 3D as it's the next logical upgrade that people will pay for.

See above regarding what people will pay for, but as far as Piracy goes I do believe it encourages more people to go to the cinema.

Im sure Ive read somewhere that 3d is plateauing in terms of 'new' revenue.

It's a case of the surcharge for the glasses and because it's 3d that is making the money not, the IP (the film) itself. and taking some of the 3d specific revenues away some of the films would not nearly be as profitable I cant remember the prices for new glasses and surcharges but somewhere near an additional 5 quid or so goes along away to a films total and would be a 1/3 or more of the ticket price. See that dissapear and then you have issues films dont look so'hot' when the revenues are down by that much

Once the 'gimmickery' of 3d fades then you could see perhaps a drop off in revenues that will see them being comparable with what normal films were and will potentially be quietly dropped?

• Paid Members

I'm not being smart, but seriously, is this legit? Like, vision is 3D, so does that mean they see life in 2d, like The Simpsons or Foghorn Leghorn or something?

Seriously, I'm awfully confused here lads...

3D as in the technology to make things seem 3 dimensional.

I'm not being smart, but seriously, is this legit? Like, vision is 3D, so does that mean they see life in 2d, like The Simpsons or Foghorn Leghorn or something?

Seriously, I'm awfully confused here lads...

The glasses and filming require you to have 'perfect' or near perfect vision in many cases

Any sight defects or problems processing sight information or even colour blindness can render 3-d completely and utterly useless.

• Paid Members
The glasses and filming require you to have 'perfect' or near perfect vision in many cases

Any sight defects or problems processing sight information or even colour blindness can render 3-d completely and utterly useless.

Thanks for clearing that up.

Chap here in work just said the same thing. Not as grammatically proficient as yourself, but a similar statement.

So Avatar must have been the sh!ts for these people?

Thanks for clearing that up.

Chap here in work just said the same thing. Not as grammatically proficient as yourself, but a similar statement.

So Avatar must have been the sh!ts for these people?

yeah 3D doesn't work for me so i presume it is due to either wearing glasses or the reason behind me needing to wear them. been to see two 3D films and neither time did the 3D effect work for me.

• 2 weeks later...