General Movie (Film for snobs) News Thread

CaptainCharisma

• Paid Members
The Perfect Host

I miss Frasier

So glad you linked this because it's the kind of one I may have missed otherwise, but this looks brilliant.

Also, been reading up on Django Unchained: Tarantino's 8th movie, about slavery in the deep south. According to reports Samuel L Jackson, Jamie Foxx and Christoph Waltz cast so far with DiCaprio likely to take the lead role. Can't wait.

• Paid Members

Just seen the new trailer for 'Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes'. One of those trailers that gives a lot of the film away. Personally I'd rather not know the finer points of how the apes came to power. I'm all for suspension of disbelief, especially when it comes to sci-fi but surely there can't be that many apes in San Francisco that would pose such a threat to armed military & police?

• Paid Members
I would much rather see something original with it's own ideas than just an updated soundtrack plus a few of the moment actors playing dress up. I'm not saying all remakes are pointless but TGWTDT looks like a straight up redo (with a crappy soundtrack) and Fright Night just looks horrible.

Wasn't the other version of that foriegn?

What a lot of people fail to understand with remakes is that sometimes a good film needs bringing upto date in order to introduce it to a new audience. Sure, you can call it lazy if you must or unimaginative, but for me I'll always be greatful for the 1990 remake of Night of the Living Dead, without which I wouldn't have fallen in love with zombie movies!

To me The Goonies has aged really well and I think a lot of people would agree that it still has appeal to a modern audience but to my suprise I have a mate who never seen it and doesn't want to because "it's old" he's a bit strage though, cos that old to him and yet he loves The Young Ones and Bottom!

may god have mercy on our souls

and al pacino what the f**k are you doing

I couldn't even get through the whole trailer

• Paid Members
I couldn't even get through the whole trailer

Fucking Hell. That looks like a parody from Arrested Development!

I understand that young comedians have to star in a few stinkers to pay the bills, but Sandler is stinking rich and he not only stars in these films, but fucking writes and produces them!

• Paid Members

Looks good I think :laugh:

That looks fucking awesome. The only downside is that if go to the cinema to see it(which i probably will) i can guarantee it'll be packed with knob-head, chavvy, tossers who'll ruin it.

I really can't wait to see this! I think the type of person in the cinema will either help the atmosphere or kill it.

That looks fucking awesome. The only downside is that if go to the cinema to see it(which i probably will) i can guarantee it'll be packed with knob-head, chavvy, tossers who'll ruin it.

Yeah, as much as I love Inbetweeners, I'm really hoping its not ruined by twats who laugh uncontrollably at every swear word. I'll probably go in the early afternoon once its been out for a few weeks, will be a lot quieter then.

• Paid Members

Ditto, I think I'll try & go straight from work on a Tuesday so hopefully the mongs will be waiting for Friday/Saturday night or 'Orange Wednesdays'. I had a date from Greg Davies' tour a couple of weeks ago & was quizzing him about this. Apparently they've had to go to great lengths from stopping the papparazzi/tabloids getting hold of on-set photo's, pages of scripts etc!! This really surprised me as it's hardly got levels of 'Phantom Menace' expectation behind it. Greg only has a small cameo part in it btw, just one or 2 scenes.

Some interesting news...

Mandate Pictures announced today that Spike Lee (Inside Man) will direct Oldboy, a remake of the highly-acclaimed South Korean film. Mark Protosevich has adapted the screenplay and will co-produce. Roy Lee and Doug Davison (The Departed, The Grudge) will produce. The film is a Vertigo Entertainment/40 Acres & A Mule Production. Mandate President Nathan Kahane will executive produce.

"It's a great honor to put this special project into the hands of such a gifted writer and iconic director," said Kahane.

Oldboy tells the story of a man who is kidnapped and imprisoned on his daughter

Oldboy has one of the most laughable final acts I have ever seen in a film from any country and I see little chance of that making it through the remake process unscathed, must admit though that Spike Lee is an intersting choice.

TBH though I don't really care either way since I think that Oldboy is amongst the most overrated films to come out of Asia, better then Thirst though (which rumor has it is also in line for a remake) which was just a massive bore.