Chris Benoit dead

Scorpion_Deathlock

I can definitely identify when people say that they keep randomly remembering he's really gone. I thought it had sunk in but it really, really hasn't. I was watching the tribute show there with my brother on the PC and it's just really weird. I still feel a little odd each time I come on here and see the topic "Chris Benoit dead" at the top of the page. As I said before none of us really know just what the fuck Benoit was thinking when he done this, and I'm not really sure I want to know. The fact that something that could drive a man to kill his own son and wife disturbs me to no end. The more insight we get into this story the more dark it becomes it seems. I still believe he was heavily depressed and worn down as I said before. If you look at everything that's been presented thus far it paints a picture of a man who really cannot have been all there. Maybe that's why he gave it his all in the ring, as it was his way of escaping from his issues with Nancy, the mental condition of his son, paranoia, the deaths of his 3 very close friends; not to mention the effects the steroids and the other shit he was on were having on him. Can we take solace in that? I doubt it. How can we go back and watch a Chris Benoit match and enjoy it for what it is? How can we put aside the horrible circumstances that surround his demise and just appreciate what he gave us in the ring? We fucking can't. On the other however, the man was an absolute hero and idol to me and I find it hard to condemn him like many have, to take him down from that mantle. Something that I can agree upon is that something needs to be done in the wrestling business, and fast. Eddie Guererro was Vince's chance to clean up his act. He didn't. Now it comes crashing down, and it's long overdue.

Edited by lokmad

Guest Mr Show Time 4.20

Rather then some of us calling Benoit a killer and saying stuff like he will never make the hall of fame. Maybe we should be talking about the good times like some of the great matches he had instead?

• Paid Members

Rather then some of us calling Benoit a killer and saying stuff like he will never make the hall of fame. Maybe we should be talking about the good times like some of the great matches he had instead?

There is a thread for that already on the board.

• Paid Members

I'm probably going to be deemed overdramatic here, but I can't respect a man for his great matches/career when he killed his own wife and child, you could have a career full of top notch matches but with what Benoit did that great career is meaningless.

• Paid Members

Man, here's a bad one. This is a column by an Associated Press reporter which will be syndicated around the world. What makes it really bad is that it's written rationally and professionally and based on facts, unlike much of the TV stuff:

E-Mail | Comments | E-Mail Newsletters | RSSAssociated PressColumn: Has Pro Wrestling Lost Control?By JIM LITKE 06.28.07, 7:22 PM ETHucksters make their living ahead of the curve, or at the very least, by selling that illusion. So there was something satisfying about watching pro wrestling czar Vince McMahon being forced to come clean, if only this once."Steroids may or may not have had anything to do with this," he acknowledged Thursday during an interview on the "Today" show concerning the murder-suicide of one-time WWE star Chris Benoit, his wife and son. "It's all speculation until the toxicology reports come back."McMahon is right about that last part, though just two days earlier, his World Wrestling Entertainment (nyse: WWE - news - people ) issued a statement insisting that even though anabolic steroids were found in Benoit's home, they "were not, and could not be related" to the deaths.The statement went on to decry "sensationalist reporting," then suggested the way Benoit went about the business of murdering his wife and son, placing Bibles next to their bodies before hanging himself on a weight machine "indicate deliberation, not rage."McMahon repeated that assertion in the interview, and he might be right about that, too. The shame is he didn't stop there."There's a rush to judgment," McMahon said. "There's almost a hysteria around us."In case anybody is still wondering why that is, tragedy seems to find its way into pro wrestling more often than called for in McMahon's feverish scripts.In 2005, Eddie Guerrero was found dead in his Minneapolis hotel room, the victim of heart failure linked to steroid use. Two years earlier, the deaths of Curt "Mr. Perfect" Hennig and Miss Elizabeth, the girlfriend of former champion Lex Luger, were tied to drug and alcohol abuse. A year earlier, heart failure linked to steroid abuse was blamed in the death of Davey Boy Smith, the "British Bulldog."In 1999, real life intruded on wrestling's art when Owen Hart was killed trying to perform a stunt during a pay-per-view event. The audience had no idea Hart's death was real - not just a stunt - in large part because the show continued.Even Benoit's nickname, "The Canadian Crippler," was a mocking reference to the very real havoc the sport occasionally wreaks on its cast; he acquired the moniker, according to SLAM! magazine, because Benoit broke an opponent's neck a dozen years ago by accidentally dropping him on his head.Wrestling is hardly our only diversion that destroys bodies at an alarming rate, as the testimony of a handful of former NFL players before Congress this week reminds us. It's not the only one, either, pressuring its participants to pop pills - and worse - in pursuit of ever-bigger and more spectacular performances. Just think of all the witnesses from baseball, bookended by the odd couple of commissioner Bud Selig and superstar-turned-informant Jose Canseco, who have made appearances before lawmakers over the last few years. And stories about well-off celebrities who have trouble handling fame and fortune are so numerous they've become a cottage industry.The difference with pro wrestling is that tragedies like Benoit's are almost part of its allure. McMahon and his handlers do their best to sell recklessness, then pretend to be surprised every time someone proves more reckless than scripted. It's like that old trick of choking an opponent with a cord, then tucking it into your shorts and throwing up your arms in protest when the referee comes looking.Just two weeks ago, McMahon had WWE cameras follow him out of the ring and toward a waiting limousine that exploded. His own publicists tried to pass off the spectacular fake as a real assassination and pretended the FBI was investigating. McMahon might have been hiding still, if not for the grisly scene at Benoit's house and the attacks it prompted on McMahon's empire.McMahon was hauled into court in 1994 on charges of providing steroids to his employees a decade earlier, and acquitted. There's no question he knows the difference between truth and lies, and now is hardly the time to be disingenuous.If there's a hysteria around his "sport," all he has to do is pause in front of a mirror to find the huckster who's responsible.Jim Litke is a national sports columnist for The Associated Press. Write to him at jlitke@ap.org

Guest Mr Show Time 4.20

There is a thread for that already on the board.
OK sir sorry. Anyway I bet Mr Mcmahon is pissed off to the max because by taking all of Benoits stock off the market has cost him quite a lot of money as I posted before. I wonder if I will ever see a fan with a Benoit sign or a fan with any of his stock ever again? I think as time goes on he will be erased in wrestling history. Not the way everyone thought he would go out.

• Paid Members

OK sir sorry. Anyway I bet Mr Mcmahon is pissed off to the max because by taking all of Benoits stock off the market has cost him quite a lot of money as I posted before. I wonder if I will ever see a fan with a Benoit sign or a fan with any of his stock ever again?

Huh?I think you've got the term 'stock' mixed up. The $21 million 'loss' by Vince is the drop in value of his holding of WWE shares (also called stock) because the price has dropped on the stock market. It's nothing to do with withdrawing Benoit merchandise.And as much as people may criticise Vince, I think he's probably got better things to be upset about than a drop in his share holdings. Edited by JNLister

I think there's already a thread for that, but I was just pointing out the facts. Benoit's had many great matches, maybe more than anybody in history, but, as much as I'd love to push those negative things out of my brain (you know, the killing bit) I won't be able to honour the man in such a way.

Monday's issue is done. It will be about the Benoit case. There will be a tremendous amount in there that I don't believe has been reported anywhere else. I believe that while in the end, there is no way to not be outraged at the situation, nor any valid excuse whatsoever, you will see what is a very complex, sad and horrifying story. I don't believe it's a roid rage story. I don't rule out steroids being one of numerous aspects that could have played a part in the story. There were numerous stresses, personal, professional, and Chris had a dark side.

Wrestling Observer. I'm kinda dreading this :(

Monday's issue is done. It will be about the Benoit case. There will be a tremendous amount in there that I don't believe has been reported anywhere else. I believe that while in the end, there is no way to not be outraged at the situation, nor any valid excuse whatsoever, you will see what is a very complex, sad and horrifying story. I don't believe it's a roid rage story. I don't rule out steroids being one of numerous aspects that could have played a part in the story. There were numerous stresses, personal, professional, and Chris had a dark side.

Wrestling Observer. I'm kinda dreading this :(
At this point, I think a lot of people are unshockable in regards to the Benoit situation.How on earth can this possibly get any worse? It's revealed Beniot was a child molestor? He killed a few ring rats on the road that no one knew about? Edited by Garrett

Billy Graham and Debra Marshall just appeared on Hannity and Colmes.Graham was almost making a good point about personal repsonsibility, but bringing Barry Bonds (baseball player) into it might not have been a good move as he hasn't actually been proven to have used them (though it is fairly likely he did).Debra's arguments and recollection of Austin's rages sold the presenters, and Colmes also led it down the path of WWE covering it up. She tore into the press release as well, as did another former attorney, whose words were "they protest too much". Pity they haven't quite grasped the idea that Wikipedia gets maliciously edited yet, and death hoaxes do occur.Someone associated with Wikipedia is on FOX next, hopefully they will clear up the ridiculous theories bandied about regarding Nancy's death appearing on the site.

Fox is just awful beyond belief.This article tries to link Sherri's death to the Benoit story. If it was as simple as just "another wrestler died and they happened to know each other a bit" it would be one thing. But what the fuck is this quote all about?

One popular wrestling site, PWTorch.com, reports that Kevin Sullivan, then married to Nancy, tried to pair Martel with wrestler Ric Flair as part of a scripted Nicole Brown/O.J. Simpson ring drama, but that "work" was abandoned.PWTorch.com writes that in early 1996, Martel became involved in a strange "work"

Picture of Benoit from last Friday, the day he killed his family.Click HereNow is that not just the creepiest image you've ever seen?

Not when I've seen it already in this thread, sparky. It's only four pages back. This is a long enough thread without it getting expanded by people re-posting the same stuff that's already been posted. In the case of some of the articles, it's happened multiple times. Please try to read what's already on here before posting, folks.