The Song Of The Day Thread

Mr. Seven

Many thanks to Rob Edwards for the Jay Reatard pimpage. The Blood Visions album is cracking, with My Shadow and Fading All Away being particular favourites. I found the new EP to be a bit disappointing, but it had a lot to live up to.

The Saints - Know Your Product

Easy Star All-Stars (Featuring Toots and The Maytals) - Let Down (Radiohead)

Splodgenessabounds - Simon Templar

I've honestly got to the stage with that Jay Reatard album thing where it's my album of the decade and in my top 10 of all time. It's just perfect.If you dug that you should check out the Lost Sounds self titled album, it's Jay, his ex girlfriend and some other people. It's not quite as good as Blood Visions but it's still fucking great.

• Paid Members

I know this isn't exactly what this thread is about, however:I really want 'What Goes Around Comes Around (Earl's Theme)' (the theme to My Name Is Earl). Apparantly there is a vocal and instrumental version but legitimate online retailers (yeah....) are being unhelpful. If anybody has the MNIE soundtrack or that song could they please upload it for me? Cheers.

Don't think this has been posted anywhere yet. Here's a free, downloadable compilation:-

"'Warm & Scratchy' has been put together by animated comedy series 'Adult Swim', and features new/rare/previously unavailable tracks by The Rapture, The Good, The Bad & The Queen, TV On The Radio, 120 Days, Broken Social Scene and Les Savy Fav".

http://www.adultswim.com/williams/music/warmandscratchy/

Haven't given it a listen, so it could be gash. But it's free, so quit whining be-yatches.

Anyhoo, here's something for a sunny day:-

Alan Braxe & Fred Falke - Intro

There's a lot of buzz about this track from Battles, it's been all over the blogs and The Guardian is going nuts for it. As a fan of Don Caballero I really liked their EP collection (the guitarist is from Don Cab) with it's jazzy math-rock leanings, but the new album Mirrored is just an insane mash-up of sounds and one of the freshest things I've heard in ages. Lots of dodgy vocal effects (as in this song) that will undoubtedly rub many people the wrong way, but IMO they somehow add to the whole madness/genius of the thing. Can't wait to see them at ATP as they are apparently phenomenal live.Battles - Atlasedit: album

Finally downloaded the album (not off that link though, which I assume is expired) and I love it. It's really quite mental and zany, and I want to see them live so badly.

There's a lot of buzz about this track from Battles, it's been all over the blogs and The Guardian is going nuts for it. As a fan of Don Caballero I really liked their EP collection (the guitarist is from Don Cab) with it's jazzy math-rock leanings, but the new album Mirrored is just an insane mash-up of sounds and one of the freshest things I've heard in ages. Lots of dodgy vocal effects (as in this song) that will undoubtedly rub many people the wrong way, but IMO they somehow add to the whole madness/genius of the thing. Can't wait to see them at ATP as they are apparently phenomenal live.Battles - Atlasedit: album

Finally downloaded the album (not off that link though, which I assume is expired) and I love it. It's really quite mental and zany, and I want to see them live so badly.
Well, you best hurry up. They're in Glasgow tonight, Birmingham tomorrow and Dublin on Friday. If any of them is round your way, get seeing 'em. I saw their set at All Tomorrow's Parties at the weekend and they were pretty goddamn impressive. The drummer and lead guitarist/programmer in particular are incredible musicians, just watching them interact as the songs shift directions is fascinating.I think I might actually post some of my favourite artists from the festival over the next few days, as there were a lot of acts that really surprised me with how good they were. On the flipside, there were a few major disappointments - Modest Mouse being the primary offenders, they clearly didn't want to be there and half-arsed a really poor set (which I missed most of Band of Horses for), complaining between each song. A band hasn't made me turn on them this much since Conor Oberst's disgraceful Glastonbury 2005 embarrassment.Anyway - a song. The Thermals were a great choice to open the weekend. I'd heard the newest album before and kinda liked it, but they won me over as a full-blown fan with a really fun performance. I wouldn't call them a punk band, but they kind of sit on the fence between punk and indie rock, and there's a bit of early Green Day, mid-period Saves The Day and maybe a little bit of Weezer about them.The Thermals - A Pillar of Salt

I've honestly got to the stage with that Jay Reatard album thing where it's my album of the decade and in my top 10 of all time. It's just perfect.If you dug that you should check out the Lost Sounds self titled album, it's Jay, his ex girlfriend and some other people. It's not quite as good as Blood Visions but it's still fucking great.

Nice one. I'll give that a go. I've recently heard Reatards, Nervous Patterns and Terror Visions. While nothing's coming close to Blood Visions as of yet, I'm impressed with Jay Reatard's inability to offend me. Are you aware of Spizzenergi? They went under various names, including Spizz Oil and Athletico Spizz 80 but the formerly mentioned is their most familiar. I think you'll like them as they seem to be quite an influence on Jay Reatard. Here's the famous one, in case you don't know them. I'll upload some more if required.Spizzenergi - Where's Captain Kirk?Dog Faced Hermans - El Doggo SpeaksThe Briefs - Looking Through Gary Glitter's Eyes

Another ATP song, this, from what I rate as probably the best performance of the weekend by Two Gallants. Again, I was already fairly familiar with their stuff but they really took me by surprise by being awesome live. I'm not too sure how to describe them, they're a Californian two-piece and sound somewhere between Western, er, outlaw rock(?) and Pogues-esque Irish folk. There's also a bit of Decemberists about them with the very literary slant to the lyrics. There were also a lot of punks in the audience for some reason, so I think they've got a bit of crossover appeal there as well....

Two Gallants - Steady Rollin'

Right, so I'm not really into Nine Inch Nails, and anyone who is will already have heard this as it's out a month of two now. I heard it back then and it didn't do a hell of a lot for me. So it comes on in my playlist today as I'm walking to work and for some reason, it did something for me. I've listened to it about 10 times today.

Nine Inch Nails - 'Survivalism'