The Song Of The Day Thread

Mr. Seven

I just watched Mutual Appreciation, the second (I believe) film by Andrew Bujalski (who also made Funny Ha-Ha which got a good bit of UK press a few months ago). Both films are great and a cheap-and-grainy throwback to when independent films were actually independent and not subdivisions of the major studios. Both films have casts made up of the friends and family of the director, which include members of the band Bishop Allen in starring roles. Their songs feature in both films, although moreso in (the superior and much funnier) Mutual Appreciation as it's actually about a fledgling musician in New York. I've always been a bit wary of them as they look like twatty scenesters but dammit if Justin Rice wasn't ridiculously likeable in that film.... Anyway, check em out - the band and the films.

Bishop Allen - Queen of the Rummage Sale

Bishop Allen - Busted Heart

I just watched Mutual Appreciation, the second (I believe) film by Andrew Bujalski (who also made Funny Ha-Ha which got a good bit of UK press a few months ago). Both films are great and a cheap-and-grainy throwback to when independent films were actually independent and not subdivisions of the major studios. Both films have casts made up of the friends and family of the director, which include members of the band Bishop Allen in starring roles. Their songs feature in both films, although moreso in (the superior and much funnier) Mutual Appreciation as it's actually about a fledgling musician in New York. I've always been a bit wary of them as they look like twatty scenesters but dammit if Justin Rice wasn't ridiculously likeable in that film.... Anyway, check em out - the band and the films.Bishop Allen - Queen of the Rummage SaleBishop Allen - Busted Heart

After downloading that Queen of the Rummage Sale song I promptly got onto the Bishop Allen album, which I've played a couple of times through and have really enjoyed. Its quaint twee pop, which I like. Thank you parkamarka.

Glad you're liking it dude. Since this thread is managing to stay on the main page for longer than a day, I feel the need to keep bumping it. I've already posted stuff from Spoon, but they just released a new album and they appear to have broadened their range of instruments from the stripped-down guitar and drums of the last couple of albums. This one's quite jaunty, almost Motown-inspired:

Spoon - You Got Yr Cherry Bomb

Edited by Parkamarka

Time to get involved with this thread again. This time, I bring you the greatest punk rock song of all time:

NOFX - Linoleum

I'm quite sure anyone in to punk will have heard this song before, but if you haven't, you should check it out. This song embodies everything I love about music.

I've - 'Natsukage'

Gorgeous piano track from Japanese all-star group I've Sound, this is a prominent song on Kyoto Animations Air which is without a doubt the most emotional piece of Television I've ever had the pleasure of experiencing and that association alone is enough to make me well up every time I hear it. There's another wonderful track from this show called 'Farewell Song' which plays during the shows heartbreaking finale, but I daren't even listen to it let alone upload it.

I've - 'Natsukage'Gorgeous piano track from Japanese all-star group I've Sound, this is a prominent song on Kyoto Animations Air which is without a doubt the most emotional piece of Television I've ever had the pleasure of experiencing and that association alone is enough to make me well up every time I hear it. There's another wonderful track from this show called 'Farewell Song' which plays during the shows heartbreaking finale, but I daren't even listen to it let alone upload it.

That's some great stuff right there. More of this please.Might have to check out this Air business....

I've - 'Natsukage'Gorgeous piano track from Japanese all-star group I've Sound, this is a prominent song on Kyoto Animations Air which is without a doubt the most emotional piece of Television I've ever had the pleasure of experiencing and that association alone is enough to make me well up every time I hear it. There's another wonderful track from this show called 'Farewell Song' which plays during the shows heartbreaking finale, but I daren't even listen to it let alone upload it.

That's some great stuff right there. More of this please.Might have to check out this Air business....
Yep, more please.