Joe_the_Lion Posted December 27, 2006 Posted December 27, 2006 HBK - But that vote is influenced by the fact that I'm a bit gay for him.CM Punk - Can't wait to see how the WWE fucks him up in 2007, being buried in a feud with HHH anyone?
DebbieHardy Posted December 28, 2006 Posted December 28, 2006 John CenaShawn MichaelsTriple HHardy Boyz
dopper Posted December 29, 2006 Posted December 29, 2006 Not saying they are the two undisputed best of 2006, but the two that entertained me the most in a babyface manner:- Colt Cabana- Delirious.
Vamp Posted December 29, 2006 Posted December 29, 2006 John Cena walks away with this year, at least, in my opinion. Started off the year as the most unlikely cadidate to win the award, but in character terms he really devoloped. Went into three of the most hostile crowd situations of the year, and twice left as the WWE Champion. His promo after WrestleMania also happened to be one of the best babyface promos I've seen or heard in quite a while. In the UK, being an SAS fan first and foremost, either Spud or Luke "Dragon" Phoenix take it for me. I'd probably give the edge to Spud, who performed brilliantly in his feud with Jack Storm and put on some of the best underdog performences I've seen since Michaels infamous Survivor Series performence.
Paid Members Supremo Posted December 29, 2006 Paid Members Posted December 29, 2006 (edited) John Cena walks away with this year, at least, in my opinion. Started off the year as the most unlikely cadidate to win the award, but in character terms he really devoloped. Went into three of the most hostile crowd situations of the year, and twice left as the WWE Champion. His promo after WrestleMania also happened to be one of the best babyface promos I've seen or heard in quite a while.I don't understand why you've mentioned that as if it adds weight to the argument of Cena being a good babyface. It's, like, fake. Edited December 30, 2006 by Supremo
Paid Members tiger_rick Posted December 30, 2006 Author Paid Members Posted December 30, 2006 John Cena walks away with this year, at least, in my opinion. Started off the year as the most unlikely cadidate to win the award, but in character terms he really devoloped. Went into three of the most hostile crowd situations of the year, and twice left as the WWE Champion. His promo after WrestleMania also happened to be one of the best babyface promos I've seen or heard in quite a while.I don't understand why you've mentioned that as if it adds weight to the argument of Cena being a good babyface. It's, like, fake.Coming out of the situation as the heroic champion does make a good babyface.Cena isn't the best babyface this year because he pent most of it being booed. He's the best character of the year and the most interesting personality, but for me, Cena in the babyface category is like Samoa Joe in the heel category, neither elicied the response a top babyface or heel should.
Paid Members Supremo Posted December 30, 2006 Paid Members Posted December 30, 2006 (edited) John Cena walks away with this year, at least, in my opinion. Started off the year as the most unlikely cadidate to win the award, but in character terms he really devoloped. Went into three of the most hostile crowd situations of the year, and twice left as the WWE Champion. His promo after WrestleMania also happened to be one of the best babyface promos I've seen or heard in quite a while.I don't understand why you've mentioned that as if it adds weight to the argument of Cena being a good babyface. It's, like, fake.Coming out of the situation as the heroic champion does make a good babyface.I see what you mean (originally I thought Vamp meant fake accolades = success), but I've always voted for babyface or heel of the year based on how well they've connected with the fans in that role as opposed to how they've been booked. For instance look at The Great Khali. He came in and destroyed Smackdown's two top babyfaces, Rey Mysterio and The Undertaker, with the latter taking a beating like never before. On that basis Khali would be considered a good heel but in reality he was one of the worst of all time, since he was laughed out of the building more often than not. And in the same vein just because Cena was booked as a hero doesn't mean it worked, and therefore I don't think you can use his title wins as evidence of him being a good babyface. Does that make sense? It should be how he's connecting, not how he's being portrayed.I'd be interested to know on what basis others have voted. How they're portrayed? How they connect with the majority? How the connect with you? Simply how much you've enjoyed them in that role? Or a combination? Edited December 30, 2006 by Supremo
Vamp Posted December 30, 2006 Posted December 30, 2006 I see what you mean (originally I thought Vamp meant fake accolades = success), but I've always voted for babyface or heel of the year based on how well they've connected with the fans in that role as opposed to how they've been booked. For instance look at The Great Khali. He came in and destroyed Smackdown's two top babyfaces, Rey Mysterio and The Undertaker, with the latter taking a beating like never before. On that basis Khali would be considered a good heel but in reality he was one of the worst of all time, since he was laughed out of the building more often than not. And in the same vein just because Cena was booked as a hero doesn't mean it worked, and therefore I don't think you can use his title wins as evidence of him being a good babyface. Does that make sense? It should be how he's connecting, not how he's being portrayed.I'd be interested to know on what basis others have voted. How they're portrayed? How they connect with the majority? How the connect with you? Simply how much you've enjoyed them in that role? Or a combination?Mines a combination personally. I think how well the person is booked should be taken into consideration, and Cena's been booked well (well, since Mania and onwards) as a babyface, and plus I fully believe he's performed well. If you're not going to count the booking, then Cena being booed wouldn't be taken into account anyway, as they only arrived due to poor booking in the first place. Personally I think Cena's booking as a hero has worked. I connected with the character somewhat in the build up to 'Mania and so forth, when he became a much more well developed person besides just a rapper. I've always thought Cena was fairly good as well, he can cut good promos when he wants to and I don't really have a problem with his in ring work (bar the dire STFU). Besides, he's constantly over with women and children, and the majority of people who boo'ed him seemed, at least in my opinion, to be doing it merely to look cool. The sad fact is that in the modern day world, people who deem themselves as true experts of anything, will rarely root for the big dog or the person who's at the top.
Recommended Posts