Official ROH Discussion Thread

alexander

• Paid Members

Damn Lantern, I was convinced you had reviewed further than 'Ring of Homicide', but if you haven't seen Daniels/Whitmer, I guess not.If it makes you feel any better, it's better than the Sydal matches, but I just know the pre-match speech will kill you. You need to watch Danielson vs Homicide, though. Go on, get it over with...

Luckily, I haven't committed myself to reviewing all the things, so I can happily press Fast Forward in a Daniels/Whitmer match. And yes, it was abysmal. The sickening sucking up and talking before the match, I came in hoping for a brutal war, and got one of the worst matches I've ever witnessed.I too, am utterly bored with the ROH undercards, hence my apathetic reactions and low ratings. However, when you get a gem like Strong/KENTA, it encourages you to watch on.But these 4-Corner Survivals have got too much. They're so pointless, and you find yourself wondering why he doesn't at least put random tags in instead, which at least have a good formula to work from.So yes, I have a hard time watching, but I perservere for whatever reason, and I want to get onto Cage Of Death, which I refuse to watch until I've seen up to it.Then again, I only buy the shows that sound interesting, so I don't have to sit through stuff like How You Roll.Basically, ROH has some great matches, a lot of matches that are good and overrated, and a lot of bland, boring matches on the undercard which get insanely overrated.

After I watched Ring Of Homicide some time ago i decided it would be a good idea to go back to the start of 2006 and rewatch everything this year so i could try to remember any of it. Unfortunately i too am having to suffer through some of the worst undercard matches in the companies history on the shows spanning Tag Wars to Unscripted II (urghh!)

• Paid Members

I watched War of the Wire II last night, and in defiance of this thread... Christopher Daniels vs Matt Sydal was good (by far their best match in the series), and the Four Corner Survival was very good indeed, though it was pretty loaded up (Danielson vs Homicide vs Aries vs Delirious).Before I offer full opinions though, I have Chi-Town Struggle and DBDIV to review. Hmmm.

My somewhat random ROH thoughts...My aim was somewhat of an impossible one - to get up to date with ROH programming before the August show at BCH. Problem was I had about two weeks to do so with about a year's worth of shows to watch. Just before I gave up it really was getting ridiculous, winding through matches I'd otherwise really look forward to (Samoa Joe v Jimmy Rave for instance). So I got nowhere near, and it didn't make any real difference anyway due to the somewhat spot-show nature of the BCH event. Anyway, I'm now a little more up-to-date - April of this year to be exact. And so, my opinions of the last year or so of ROH.*I watched Joe v Kobashi. Great, great match, but far more memorable for the insanely hot crowd which make the match seem better than it is. Don't get me wrong - it's really good. But match of the year? Not convinced. For me, this didn't eclipse Kobashi v Sasaki or Angle v Michaels. It seemed to me to be a match where the reactions were based more on the expectation of it being a stunner rather than it actually being so. It's damned close, that's true. But actually, I didn't think it was the best ROH match of the year, nor the best Joe match of the year. For the former, I'd go with the Aries v Punk title change or the Dragon v Gibson title change. Aries v Punk had a crowd nearly as mental as Joe v Kobashi by the end of it, and the after-match stuff was AWESOME. But then, maybe that makes the match seem better than it is (which goes back to the Joe v Kobashi argument all over again). Dragon v Gibson is one of those wrestling matches which really sort of creeps up on you, building up and building up and afterwards you really appreciate how brilliant it was. As for best Joe match, I'd probably say the TNA ppv match with AJ Styles in, erm, July?What I would say about the Joe v Kobashi card in general, though, is that it might have been the best overall show they put on in 2005 - the undercard really does get overshadowed by that one match.*Dragongate - A mixed bag. The Dragongate Invasion show of late 2005 was totally underwhelming - for whatever reason neither of the guys on it seemed to click with the Americans. But this has clearly been ironed out by the triple-shot weekend of late March 2006. Was Do Fixer v Blood Generation as good as had been billed? Yeah...just about. An absolutely amazing effort by all involved, with some stunning stuff...but again, can't be match of the year for me, though for different reasons to Joe v Kobashi. Maybe I'm getting more critical in my old age, I don't know, but something which is move-move-move-move-move-move-move-move-move...I need a little bit more now. It may have been one of the very best spotfests I've ever seen, but I'm more about the psychology and stories now. I see enough indy wrestling where it's all full of spots (and not many as good as this match)...I need an emotional attachment of whatever extent. And I didn't get it in this match, as great as it was. In another case of overshadowing stuff, this match may mean that the brilliant Blood Generation v Generation Next match from the night before will be forgotten about, which would be a crime. And the whole Supercard of Honor show really must be commended. Though the Ace Steel v Chad Collyer bout is a bit dodgy, probably the last 5 or 6 matches are all really, really good. The Generation Next v Styles & Sydel tag match is way above average, Do Fixer v Blood Generation is nearly all that, the Shimmer 6 way did far better in that position than I though it would, and Dragon v Roderick Strong is just all kinds of great, reminscent of that Dragon v Gibson match. *Arena Warfare - As good as Supercard of Honor is, probably my favourite event from what I've seen so far. American Dragon v Alex Shelley might be my favourite match this year...not neccessarily saying it's the best, just my favourite (up there with Akira Taue v Naomichi Marafuji from March Budokan show). It goes about 45 minutes from entrance to exit, has some incredible crowd interaction in the early going, and is a brilliant wrestling match fought at a Gagne-like pace at times. The Joe situation works far better than they would have planned it in the 3-way main event, and the CZW fight is every bit as good as I'd figured it would be (not that the follow ups to the CZW-ROH war with Hero and Necro Butcher have been that good thus far, baring in mind I'm only up to April now).I should say that I haven't seen every show from this year, more or less sticking to the Milestone series, so it's possible that I'm only seeing the true cream of the crop. But man, there's some bloody good stuff from this promotion so far this year. Depending on the logistics of it all, I may make the trip to the States for the fifth anniversary shows, and on the evidence of recent stuff they won't fail to disappoint I reckon...

11/4 in Philadelphia back at the National Guard Armory will see a first time ever match. It will be a battle of two of the top athletes going today. Philadelphia will witness KENTA vs. Matt Sydal. Will KENTA go out with a win or can Sydal get that breakout victory? This promises to be athletic wrestling at its best. Wow that sounds unwhelming. Are we going to get KENTA vs Joe anytime or did I miss it?I'm quite excited by the brewing Joe vs Morishima fued though.

Watched ROH Chi-Town Struggle

Why does ROH think anybody in their right minds wants to watch Irish Airborne v Hagadorn/Davis? The very fact that it's these wrestlers pretty much means I won't like it, and they don't do anything to convince me otherwise. Why. 3/4*

Jacobs/Strong was actually pretty good, though it didn't reach it's full potential. Understandable, as both men were probably worn out from their previous matches, but it lacked a bit of intensity, which is strange for Strong. Still, it has Jimmy's incredibly entertaining character, and Strong can be fun, so it wasn't bad, but I got the feeling it could have been better. **1/4

Briscoes v Rave/CK3 wasn't very good. It was so predictable, had the Briscoes over the top finish, ROH can't decide whether these guys are face or heel. The Embassy are usually good to watch, and Rave is pretty good here again, and to be fair to them, it isn't particularly bad, just totally uninteresting. *3/4

Joe/Delirious was another match that could have been better. The problem was, I didn't buy Delirious matching up to Joe for one second, and it hurt the match a lot. The bout was at its best when Joe was bullying Delirious and just kicking the crap out of him, but these bits didn't come often enough. OK. **

The 6-Man ROH/CZW war was again decent, but just too much of 'same old'. I could watch about 10 shows this year and see pretty much this same brawl, and it didn't help that the ROH team consisted of 3 mediocre characters and wrestlers. Necro was entertaining, in fact the CZW side mostly brought the fun, the finish was nice, but in the end, I'd seen it all before. **

Homicide/McGuinness was another solid match, but it didn't really stand out. I had a feeling they wouldn't mesh together that well, and this proved to be true. I hate Homicide when he decides to wrestle, as he's really only any good in tight brawls, but I expected a bit more from McGuinness here, who's been pretty excellent so far this year. Average. **

KENTA/Aries was good stuff. I don't think it was in the same league as the Strong/KENTA match the night before, but it had some great moments and interchanges. I don't think they conveyed the intensity and violence of the night before, and Aries definately didn't convey the will to win that Strong had. Plus, there was a lot less fire, and the exchanges were worse. You can't call this bad though, and it's still one of the better matches you're going to see all year. ***1/4

I expected to hate Dragon/Cabana. Luckily, I didn't hate it, though the first 10 minutes were pretty drab. Aside from a few good moments provided by Cabana, they achieved nothing, and in fact looked like they were on course for a really lacklustre affair. But they picked it up, and eventually got me back into the match, leading to a superb finishing run, culminating in an excellent last 5 minutes. They even managed to get people to believe Cabana had a chance of winning, and I wholeheartedly enjoyed the last quarter of the match. But it's just one of those matches I can't see myself ever watching again. **3/4