Official ROH Discussion Thread

alexander

• Paid Members

Someone should ether rag out fucking Cornette - I'm so bored of hearing people talk about how he's some sort of great mind. He's a fucking clown, he wasn't even much cop as a manager away from the ME, and he's so stuck in a mindset that actually stems before he was even in the biz that it's not even funny. I've heard people genuinely refer to him as the opposite side of the same coin as Paul Heyman. Get to fuck, really. If he is, then the Heyman side is fucking embarrassed by the goofy faced twat. He really is a shitarse. He's not entertaining, he hasn't been since forever, and left to his own devices he came up with Smokey Mountain Wrestling, which was like a shit and gummi bear sandwich - sure, some bits were good, but the overall effect just would never sell.

• Paid Members

2002 marked the birth of something special in professional wrestling,

Indeed it did - Live from Memphis, Tennessee - NWA Total Nonstop Action Wrestling!0.jpg

And do finishes with ETHER SOAKED RAGS in 2012.

I haven't been watching ROH for a few months now, but I've also stopped watching TNA, mostly because the finishes are always awful, especially in the big matches.

• Paid Members

When's the last time TNA did a rag finish? I'm guessing they've done it recently as well.

A quick google of "TNA" "ether" tells me that they did it in 2006 with LAX. It also tells me that there's a huge amount of wrestling fans who can't spell "either".

Gabes sapolsky facebook statusWhen the ownership and management of a company doesn't care or have enough respect for its employees and more importantly paying customers to spend enough money to have adequate equipment they can fuck off. When a company decides to go on the cheap and take a risk that something like a website will work instead of doing everything in their power to guarantee it will work they can fuck off. If the ownership and management doesn't care or respect it's fans enough to do this they don't deserve your support.

PWinsider is reporting that ROH sent Sapolsky a cease and desist order over this comment. They seem to be going lower and lower in my estimation every day. Maybe they should concentrate on making sure the next show isn't a disaster instead of what a competitor is saying about it?

• Paid Members

Yeah, here's the news piece on it:

BAD BLOOD BETWEEN ROH AND FORMER BOOKER LEADS TO LEGAL LETTERby Mike Johnson @ 11:10 PM on 5/16/2012Ring of Honor issued a cease and desist letter to former booker and current DGUSA Vice President Gabe Sapolsky this week after Sapolsky railed against the promotion on his official Facebook Page. Sources close to DGUSA confirmed that Sapolsky received a cease and desist.On 5/14 on his Facebook page, Sapolsky commented on the Internet PPV issues Ring of Honor had with their 5/12 Border Wars IPPV, writing, "When the ownership and management of a company doesn't care or have enough respect for its employees and more importantly paying customers to spend enough money to have adequate equipment they can f*** off. When a company decides to go on the cheap and take a risk that something like a website will work instead of doing everything in their power to guarantee it will work they can f*** off. If the ownership and management doesn't care or respect it's fans enough to do this they don't deserve your support."After receiving negative responses from some users of the Page, Sapolsky clarified his comments, writing, "It's too late to delete that other thread cause everything is out there, but to the people making all the negative comments do you realize I'm just saying we respect and appreciate your business and you deserve the best for your money? Yes, there are bumps in the road due to things out of control, but we never cut corners on things we can control and we always work our hardest to give you the best quality. I'm trying to serve you the best we can and I'm saying you should get nothing less. I take offense when you do."Sapolsky received the cease and desist letter on 5/15, according to sources. There has been longstanding bad blood between the two sides stemming from Sapolsky's dismissal years ago, which led to the formation of DGUSA a year later as Dragon Gate had their own falling out with ROH when Silkin was the owner and opted to no longer work with them. Since then, DGUSA and sister promotion EVOLVE have been vying for the same online audience that was once the cornerstone of ROH's fan base and there have been regular attempts to run opposite of each other over the years.Now, for those wondering why ROH would even respond to anything Sapolsky wrote, I am told that Sapolsky signed an agreement that he would not disparage the company when he was released as ROH booker in October 2008. ROH's side obviously believes that agreement is still in place. One DGUSA source, who was not Sapolsky, believed that the agreement could not be valid as there were distinctly different companies - Silkin's and Sinclair's. ROH was reorganized under a LLC when Sinclair took over the company a little under a year ago. In speaking to a legal source about the matter, I was told it all depended on the language of the non-disclosure form and whether that language covered ROH under ownership beyond Silkin at the time it was signed.On yesterday's media conference call to discuss the iPPV issues, I asked ROH COO Joe Koff about the Sapolsky comments. Koff responded, "I'm not going to respond to his comments specifically because I'm going to consider the source of his comments. I can't refute or dispute perception. I can refute and dispute credible sources. I'm not going to get into that conversation about that. He makes a good point...I will tell you that this company is well financed and work with people we rely on for their expertise....and I think this was something that was unanticipated from our own analytics and our own analysis of what it was. The load was tested. Ee thought that we should be fine with what the normal number of buys are and how they come in through course of a day. And Mike, we were fooled, and I'm going to say that positively, even though it ended up negatively, at the positive response to this product and we did not anticipate that. And shame on us for not anticipating that. It's not a money issue at all. It really isn't a money issue. It just happened to be an unfortunate call on our part thinking [the server was] strong enough to carry the show. That's the way it happened."Sapolsky declined comment when reached by PWInsider.com, but admitted he was "surprised" he was being asked about the issue.However, several hours after declining to comment to PWInsider.com, Sapolsky responded to the cease and desist in vague terms, writing on the same Facebook page, "You stop yourself from saying something 1000 times, but the one time you take 30 seconds and write something out of anger it blows up beyond your imagination. If you are reading this the bottom line is all you really care about is great wrestling, good storylines and something compelling. We had two awesome EVOLVE shows last weekend....[lots of comments about the wrestlers working for EVOLVE over the weekend deleted for clarity of story at hand; complete post here] Our staff of Ivan, Bryan, Sean and Brandon among others, led by Sal, worked tirelessly to put on those two memorable events and great iPPV streams. I took the attention away from all that by losing my cool for a moment and lashing out with profanity. I can't make any promises in the future, but I'll remember this lesson. I ended up doing the last thing I wanted to do- take the attention off the wrestling that we all care about."Obviously, we were unable to gain any sort of comment from Ring of Honor as this story is posted. Should ROH choose to comment on the matter, we'll have more on this tomorrow, but I was given the impression there would be no official statement made on the issue.

What an odd situation.

• Paid Members

ROH Honor Takes Center Stage: Chapter 1 (1 April 2011)

HonorTakesCenterStageChapter1.jpg

Following straight on from 'Manhattan Mayhem', ROH hits Atlanta, GA for their now-annual WrestleMania weekender. Usually attracting some of their biggest non-New York crowds and stacked with top-line matches, these have traditionally been some of the promotion's biggest events of the year... even if the 2010 versions left a lot to be desired. This time, the shows make up ROH's first ever back-to-back iPPVs. Interestingly, they chose to run in the Center Stage Theatre which was, of course, home to WCW Saturday Night tapings for many years. Unfortunately, the 1990s Star Wars doors don't manage to make a comeback.

One of the first things that stands out is that the production for this event is awful. In terms of lighting, a single spotlight shines down on the squared circle, pitting ringside areas into darkness. This causes issues for ROH's cameras, as the light is over-saturated, colours bleed, and cameras often shift out of focus as they struggle to cope. Added to this, the overall picture quality is dingy and grainy. Really disappointing for a big PPV for supposedly the third biggest organisation in the US. In this high definition age, this is a "must try harder".

The in-ring side of things gets off to a good start, with an enjoyable energetic encounter between lost-in-the-shuffle crowd favourite El Generico and heavyweight House of Truth newcomer Michael Elgin. An instantly forgettable 4-way of Colt Cabana, Homicide, Tommaso Ciampa and Caleb Konley doesn't offer much beyond inoffensive throwaway filler, but is followed by the best ROH womens match in quite some time. Indeed, the guest Japanese team of Ayumi Kurihara & Hiroyo Matsumoto come in as total unknowns against established US stars Sara Del Rey & Serena Deeb, but the action is simple, exciting and draws the fans into it in a big way. A really fun little contest (even if it does provoke the rather cringe-worthy chant of "JOSHI! JOSHI!" from ROH fans...).

The undercard is capped off by a super strong tag team offering in the form of The Briscoes vs. Adam Cole & Kyle O'Reilly. The emergence of teams such as All Night Express and Cole/O'Reilly as credible forces has contributed to the freshening up of ROH's stale tag team scene, but another factor is the new aggressive killer attitude from the Briscoe boys, which gives fresh new interest to a long-established act. O'Reilly is wank, but Cole is developing into a decent talent. The bout is kept shorter than it would be if it were held higher up the card, but it is most definitely a better match for being so as it is kept simple, to-the-point and doesn't outstay its welcome. Full of hot, fast-paced action, this was as fun a 10-minute ROH tag match as you'll find. Afterwards, All Night Express (supposedly banned from the building following some pre-show fisticuffs with the Briscoes) Bring Their JeansTM and turn up through the crowd for a cracking pull-apart brawl with Jay & Mark to set up tomorrow's grudge rematch from 'Manhattan Mayhem'.

It is rather noticeable that 1 hour into the DVD, the final 3 matches are left to fill the remaining 90 minutes of the running time. That's a sure sign that they are going for some epic, showpiece attraction main events. The first of which, pitting Davey Richards against Roderick Strong in a rematch from 'Final Battle', is excellent. In many ways, it is your typical ROH singles main event in that it starts slow, builds the intensity, then ends with an all-out war of finishers and near-falls. It has to be said, though, that this is a great example of that style done extremely well. Unlike their bout at 'Final Battle' you never get the sense it's gone longer that it needed to, and the live audience is massively into every single move they make. It's a great match, one of the best of the year so far for ROH. For some reason, some berks decide that this is the bout which deserves a chant of "Fuck WrestleMania". Yes, you massive, massive bellends, "Fuck" the event you've all spent thousands on travelling from all corners of the globe specifically to see. "Fuck" the very reason ROH is even running a show in this town on this night. "Fuck WrestleMania".

Up next is the final in the trilogy of bouts between the Kings of Wrestling and Charlie Haas & Shelton Benjamin, this time for the Kings' World Tag Team Championship. I'd peg this a level or two behind their genuine classics at 'Glory By Honor IX' and 'SoCal Showdown 2011', but that isn't to say that this isn't another fantastic offering. These two teams work so well together, putting on a masterclass of edge-of-the-seat tandem combat and seamlessly mixing new and innovative team spots into well-established tag formula. Wrapping up the package is a battle of the belts as brand new World champ Eddie Edwards makes his first defence of the gold against Television Title holder Christopher Daniels. Daniels has surprised me by being involved in a number of really good singles matches so far since his return to ROH, and this is another chapter in that book. It isn't amazingly spectacular (probably the 3rd or 4th best match on the entire show), but is still a very strong and worthy main event title tilt that grabs your attention and keeps it unrelentingly gripped. Like the Strong/Richards match earlier, it starts slow, builds well and features an exciting closing stretch, before putting it all to bed before it becomes a bit silly.

All in all, this is golden A+ stuff from ROH, certainly their best show of 2011 so far. Nothing particularly bad, several bouts that are real good fun and 3-4 legitimately great. It all plays out in front of an enthusiastic and responsive live audience, which only makes things better. Well worth going out of your way to see, I can see myself reaching for this one again.

Full show results:

<-- click on 'spoiler' to show/hide the spoiler

Michael Elgin beat El Generico with a spinning sit-down powerbomb, after interference from a masked man

Homicide beat Colt Cabana, Tommaso Ciampa and Caleb Konley{L, Cop Killa} in a 4-way

Hiroyo Matsumoto{W, backdrop driver} & Ayumi Kurihara beat Sara Del Rey & Serena Deeb{L}

The Briscoes (Jay & Mark) beat Adam Cole {L, Springboard Doomsday Device} & Kyle O'Reilly

Davey Richards beat Roderick Strong by submission to an ankle lock

Charlie Haas{W, Haas of Pain} & Shelton Benjamin beat Kings of Wrestling (Chris Hero & Claudio Castagnoli{L}) to win the ROH World Tag Team Championship

Eddie Edwards beat Christopher Daniels witha 2K1 Bomb to retain the ROH World Championship

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

Up next: Chapter Two of the Atlanta double-header, with some more top-drawer looking efforts...

• Paid Members

ROH Honor Takes Center Stage: Chapter 2 (2 April 2011)

HonorTakesCenterStageChapter2.jpg

ROH's weekend of WrestleMania-related antics in Atlanta continues with their second consecutive day in the Centre Stage Theatre. This DVD presentation suffers from the same production issues as 'Chapter 1' (see my review elsewhere in this thread), but appears on face value to offer a similar level of interesting-looking top-line matches, the likes of which delivered in a big way on the first night.

Fresh from their World Tag Team Title loss the previous evening, the Kings of Wrestling are relegated to the opening match, and come out angry and aggressive against Adam Cole & Kyle O'Reilly as a result. In many ways, this is a basic, by-the-numbers, formula tag bout, but is executed in such a way so that everything they do has maximum effectiveness and works a treat. The mean and nasty Kings dominate and kick the crap out of the relative newcomers early on, before Cole and O'Reilly make this magnificent explosive comeback, making for a genuinely thrilling final couple of minutes. One of the best ROH opening matches in some time and, despite coming out with an 0-2 record, Cole and O'Reilly have a hell of a weekend.

Prince Nana's new-look Embassy gets two separate outings next, as world-travelled veteran guest member 'Squire' Dave Taylor takes on Colt Cabana, then 'The Project' Tommaso Ciampa faces 'Notorious 187' Homicide. The latter is unremarkable and not particularly interesting, but the Cabana-Taylor bout is an entertaining short-yet-fun technical tussle.

From there, Television Champion Christopher Daniels versus House of Truth representative Michael Elgin is perfectly acceptable, inoffensive filler, notable for certain short-cuts a babyface Daniels elects to take in order to get ahead. Next, by virtue of their victory at 'Chapter 1', Ayumi Kurihara & Hiroyo Matsumoto receive their shot at the SHIMMER Tag Team Titles against Daizee Haze & Tomoko Nakagawa. Much like the women's tag the first night, the crowd is slow to warm to it, but are well into the action by the end. An enjoyable encounter, well-worthy of its place on this big show.

Taking things to the next level, however, is the tag team grudge match pitting the Briscoes against the All Night Express. Indeed, this is tremendous. As I noted on 'Chapter 1', the Briscoes' new aggressive non-nonsense heel attitudes have reinvented them, making them interesting again after a long period of staleness. Titus and King, since dropping the daft comedy, have been an absolute revelation in 2011 as a new fiery babyface team and, more importantly, credible in their role. I'm massively into the feud between these two teams at present, and this is a bloody, dramatic and gripping thriller, possibly the best ROH match of the entire weekend. I seem to say this each time I reach a successive ROH 'A' event, but this is once again the best showing of ANX's careers to date, and I can't wait to see where they go with this rivalry next.

Since the end of the Kevin Steen feud which took up all of 2010, 2011 has seen El Generico frequently facing members of The House of Truth. This continues here against Roderick Strong in the second-from-top match. It's more than decent, featuring plenty of action, but pales in comparison to their fabulous 'SoCal Sowdown II' headliner earlier in the year. More noteworthy is the post-match brawl, in which Cabana and Daniels run in to apparently save their masked pal from a 3-on-1 beatdown from Strong, Elgin and Truth Martini, only for Daniels to turn and join the House (much to the bemusement of Elgin, Daniels' earlier opponent) in an effective and heated, if somewhat predictable, angle.

The main event from Atlanta is the non-title first time meeting of Charlie Haas & Shelton Benjamin vs. Eddie Edwards & Davey Richards. Earlier in the show, ROH Executive Producer Jim Cornette offers Richards a World Title shot on the next iPPV, due to his unbeaten 2011 run. Problem is, the World Champion is his American Wolves partner, and Davey turns Cornette down by saying he doesn't want to take the spotlight and shine away from Eddie, who he knows has worked his entire career to be where he is. This brings out Edwards, who appreciates the compliments, but wonders why Davey thinks he would 'take the spot', considering last time they fought for an ROH belt, Eddie won. Davey just laughs it off, and states all that matters right now is their tag bout against the champions and 'World's Greatest Tag Team' later on. At this stage, it's just friendly banter between two mates, but it seems they are doing the slow-burn competitive rivalry between friends which will gradually take on more of a serious edge.

This match here is another extremely good effort involving Haas & Benjamin in ROH. The deal (like with the bouts against the Kings of Wrestling) is to create the idea that this is one of the best tag teams from the world stage of recent times against the best team on the independents right now, and the contest does a pretty good job of giving that impression and coming over as a big, important showpiece match. Well-paced, well-worked and well-presented (apart from a ridiculously goofy German suplex mirror sequence), this is a fitting end to the biggest weekend of the year.

While 'Chapter 2' doesn't feature any singles matches as good as Strong/Richards and Edwards/Daniels the previous night, it does feature 3 genuinely excellent tag team bouts which are well worth going out of your way to see, again proving there is plenty of mileage left in a division which was looking stale throughout most of 2010. Like the first half of the weekender, there isn't a legitimately bad match on the disc, making this another 'thumbs up' effort all round. Definitely comes with a high recommendation.

Full show results:

Kings of Wrestling (Chris Hero & Claudio Castagnoli) beat Adam Cole{L} & Kyle O'Reilly with a double-kick

Colt Cabana beat Dave Taylor with a roll-up

Tommaso Ciampa beat Homicide with a Northern Lights suplex after a distraction from Princess Mia

Christopher Daniels beat Michael Elgin with a low-blow, then the Best Moonsault Ever

Daizee Haze & Tomoka Nakagawa beat Ayumi Kurihara & Hiroyo Matsumoto to retain the SHIMMER Tag Team Championship

The Briscoes (Jay{W, Jay Driller} & Mark) beat All Night Express (Rhett Titus & Kenny King{L})

El Generico beat Roderick Strong with a Brainbuster

Charlie Haas & Shelton Benjamin{W, Paydirt} beat American Wolves (Davey Richards{L} & Eddie Edwards), after a collision between the Wolves

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

Up next: I'm going to skip 'Revolution: USA' and 'Revolution: Canada' and go straight to 'Supercard of Honor VI', featuring the World Title rematch between Edwards and Strong, and the continuation fo the Briscoes vs. All Night Express situation in a Chicago Streetfight...

• 4 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

ROH Supercard of Honor VI (21 May 2011)

SupercardVIcoverfinal.jpg

I skip the nondescript-looking 'Revolution: USA' and 'Revolution: Canada' events from early May 2011 to reach the sixth instalment of ROH's 'Supercard of Honor' series. This has traditionally been one of ROH's biggest and most important events of the year but, interestingly, has always been presented as a DVD exclusive and has never been part of their PPV or iPPV calendar.

The 2011 version is a bit of a mixed bag. The first three matches aren't anything to get excited about, as Homicide vs. Michael Elgin and Steve Corino vs. Mike Bennett are both just dull, while Adam Cole & Kyle O'Reilly vs. The Bravado Brothers isn't a patch on the Cole and O'Reilly crackers from the 'Honor Takes Centre Stage' weekend. The most interesting occurrence is the reveal of Corino's 'sponsor' in trying to help him reform and stick to his new 'good guy' ways, someone else who has done bad things but wants to reform and redeem. It's a clear tease towards Kevin Steen but, rather more intriguingly, it turns out to be the returning Jimmy Jacobs, fresh from his DGUSA/EVOLVE run. Things then take a turn for the better in the ring, as El Generico and Chris Hero contest a pretty-short-but-pretty-sweet bout which would have been a perfect TV wrestling match. They get in, they have a good, entertaining little match which gets their characters over, then get out.

New ROH World Tag Team Champions Charlie Haas and Shelton Benjamin on this occasion compete in two separate singles matches, against Davey Richards and Claudio Castagnoli respectively. Haas is one of those deceptively big wrestlers that didn't look that huge when he was in WWE, but looks absolutely massive when in there against Richards. The Richards-Haas match itself tries to present itself as a gruelling, physical struggle and, while it is far from a bad match, it isn't particularly noteworthy either, particularly when you consider there is nothing at stake, nothing on the line and no issue to be settled. Benjamin-Castagnoli, on the other hand, plays off the still-burning animosity between the tag champs and the Kings of Wrestling, as Haas and Hero join their respective partners as ringside. Again, this is ends up being another match that is decent at the same time as not being anything special. It is clear to me that Haas and Benjamin's greatest worth to ROH is most definitely in the tag team division, and they have another big pull-apart brawl with the Kings here too.

Colt Cabana usually seems to save his best performances for his hometown of Chicago, and this is no exception. Indeed, his bout here against the House of Truth's newest member Christopher Daniels is pretty good. Daniels' heel turn has made him seem fresh and interesting again, particularly his relationship with Truth Martini. His weird new combination choker/armbands, though, are a bit... erm... yeah. Following this is another all-out cracker between the Briscoes and the All Night Express. This is easily the hottest and most exciting thing about Ring of Honor at this time, with sparks flying everything these two combinations are matched up. This time, their hatred escalates in a Chicago Streetfight, taking in chairs, tables, chains, fire extinguishers, ladders and more. Blood, brawling, violence, crazy bumps and a red-hot crowd make this another must-see chapter in the story between the two teams.

The main event of 'Supercard of Honor VI' is a rematch from the match at 'Manhattan Mayhem' when Eddie Edwards won the World Title from Roderick Strong. The match itself is almost exactly the same in terms of style and pacing, but that is no bad thing since the previous bout was very good indeed. Aside from a goofy spot where they suddenly stop fighting, stand off from each other and basically reset the whole thing, this is another 'strong' effort from the two of them. They manage to play Roderick's desperation at getting the belt back really well, like he has nowhere left to go if he loses, while Edwards' story continues to be all about proving himself worthy of being champion. It's a dynamic that works, making the closing stages especially exciting and dramatic.

The show closes with an angle in which Edwards and Richards finally agree to face each other one-on-one in order to determine the better man. The deal is that the pair are supposedly best friends and tag partners in the American Wolves, but Richards' winning streak makes him the top contender for the belt that Edwards has now earned. The company is keen to put their top two singles wrestlers together in the biggest singles match they can, but so far the two partners have resisted. The speculation around the match has caused little incidents, glances and comments between the pair in tag matches, to the point where Edwards now feels like he needs to beat his partner and top contender to once and for all prove himself the worthy champion and remove the uncertainty. Richards finally agrees, and the match is made for 'Best in the World 2011', ROH's biggest iPPV to date, on their return to the Hammerstein Ballroom. It's a cool little storyline, and probably the perfect way to build interest in a match between two partners.

The DVD includes bonus features in the way of 2 'Video Wire' episodes and 2 other video packages, all continuing the build towards the various matches at 'Best in the World'. As for overall thoughts on 'Supercard of Honor VI', there's a lot on here which you really don't need to bother yourself about seeing, but then the Edwards-Strong and Briscoes-ANX matches are really good and very worthwhile. Cabana-Daniels and Generico-Hero provide decent support, tipping the balance on this towards a thumbs-up.

Full show results:

Homicide beat Michael Elgin with an Ace Crusher

Adam Cole & Kyle O'Reilly beat The Bravado Brothers

Mike Bennett beat Steve Corino with a piledriver

El Generico beat Chris Hero with a half-nelson suplex

Davey Richards beat Charlie Haas with an execution kick

Shelton Benjamin beat Claudio Castagnoli with a belly-to-belly suplex from the top rope

Colt Cabana beat ROH Television Champion Christopher Daniels in a non-title match

Chicago Streetfight: The Briscoes (Jay & Mark) beat The All Night Express (Rhett Titus{L} & Kenny King) with a Doomsday Device

Eddie Edwards retained the ROH World Title by beating Roderick Strong by referee stoppage (coming when Edwards had Strong trapped in the Achille's lock at the same time as kicking him repeatedly in the head

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

Up next: it is indeed 'Best in the World 2011'. If I manage to get it watched in the next 5 days, I will actually be less than a year behind...