Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members
24 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

I'd be happy with it if it turned out like that. Doesn't Price already have a fight scheduled though?

Turns out you're right. The Kuzmin fight fell through. Price is fighting Sean Turner on Oct 5th in Belfast.

Price quote from boxingscene.com;

"The temptation was definitely there (to fight Kuzmin). I really enjoyed the (fight) in Cardiff, even though the outcome wasn't what I wanted," Price told Daily Mail. "The Kuzmin fight is a winnable fight but I need to be playing the numbers game really with the probabilities and statistics. Does Sean Turner have a better chance of beating me than Kuzmin? I don't think so but that was the risk I was willing to take.

"I was going to earn a lot more money to fight Kuzmin but I'm looking at the bigger picture. I need to get these types of fights with Sean Turner in and then maybe someone else after that and go from there. Instead of jumping straight back in the deep end."

Guess it's for the best and makes sense but it's all getting a bit Enzo Maccarinelli with Price for me now. Just feels like a case of delaying the inevitable until he next gets ironed out. Him seeming such a nice guy makes it even harder to watch. 

• Paid Members

Just looking at the undercard for Saturday's Khan vs Vargas fight, pleasantly surprised. 

Amir Khan vs Samuel Vargas

Sam Eggington vs Hassan Mwakinyo

Jason Welborn vs Tommy Langford

Lewis Ritson vs Oscar Amador

Scott Fitzgerald vs Craig Morris

Ryan Kelly vs Kelcie Ball

Gamal Yafai vs Brayan Mairena

Qais Ashfaq vs Gary Austin 

Kieron Conway vs Gino Kanters

Osman Aslam vs Jack Summers

Shakan Pitters vs Imantas Davidaitis

Sean McComb vs Lesther Cantillano

Steven Donnelly vs Miguel Aguilar

Don't know how much of this will be televised but guessing we'll definitely get the top four fights. Looking forward to seeing Eggington and Ritson in there again. 

When I heard Amir Khan was fighting Vargas, I thought Jesse Vargas hasn't got much power but would be a decent task. Never heard of Samuel Vargas. Most of that card, looks to be one sided fights.

Also that night. Danny Garcia vs Shawn Porter for a welterweight world title.

HBO have got on a Super Flyweight feast.

Other than Welborn and Langford they are all one sided fights i would imagine. Of the fighters i have heard of anyway. Hopefully Khan gets tested.

Listened to a podcast with Hearn today saying theyre definately going to lose money on the card. With 26 fighters on there i’m not suprised. Brooks going to be there again, no doubt with chubby chops and overweight trying to get a fight with Khan after Khan stops an over matched opponent. 

Hearn also said a Brook/Pacquio fight would be alot easier than Khan/Pacquio to make for financial reasons, but Brook/Khan is what they want, if it doesnt happen in December when Brook has already agreed to do it at 147, give Khan the better split then it will never happen.

• Paid Members

I don't really care that they're one sided fights to be honest. I just like watching Eggington and Ritson and watching a couple of showcase fights for them on a Saturday night doesn't offend me one bit. And say what you want about Khan but his fights are never dull. Not every card is going to be choc full of 50/50 fights, sometimes it's fun just to watch a few blowouts. 

The Khan vs Brook fight really does feel like a now or never thing at this point. I'd much rather see them fight each other than either vs Pacquiao but I just don't have any confidence in it happening now.

• Paid Members

I don't want to sound like a right tightfisted twat but is nobody bothered that these PPVs are seemingly bring a huge halt to regular Saturday night boxing on Sky Sports. 

3 or so years ago you'd have a constant stream off decent cards on a Saturday night. I don't think Matchroom stable is as strong or big as back then which could play a part, i guess.

• Paid Members
7 hours ago, Porkchopcash said:

Up untill Christmas we have......

Canelo/GGG

Joshua/Povetkin

Groves/Smith

Highly likely......

Fury/Wilder

Warrington/Frampton

Khan v Pac/Brook in December

Potentially.....

A few WBSS fights.

Yeh you've missed a fair few off there too. The schedule is insane, boxing is off the fucking charts these days.

I think its safe to add Usyk/Bellew to the list. Been announced today that Usyk has signed with Matchroom, surely only a matter of time before its announced.

Shawn Porter/Danny Garcia tomorrow as well! Not to mention Charles "Walk Like a God" Martin on the undercard.

What a time to be a fan.

• Paid Members

Yeah, Usyk vs Bellew is the plan for November or December from listening to a couple of Hearn interviews. 

I love this time of year for boxing. September-December always seems to be absolutely rammed with great fights. This year it really feels like it's taken it up another notch though. Surprising really, considering how many times I heard 'boxing is dead' after Mayweather vs McGregor. 

Of all the fights coming up, I'm especially buzzing for GGG vs Canelo 2 (deserves more hype than it's getting, it's next bastard week!) and Khan vs Brook (if it happens). But when the schedule is so loaded that I forgot that a cracking fight like Garcia vs Porter is tomorrow, it says it all. 

Porky missed these out as well...

Jorge Linares vs Abner Cotto (Sep 29)

Victor Ortiz vs John Molina Jr (Sep 30) 

Ohara Davies vs Jack Catterall (Oct 6) 

Daniel Dubois vs Kevin Johnson (Oct 6) 

Srisaket Sor Rungvisai vs Iran Diaz (Oct 6)

Jessie Vargas vs Thomas Dulorme (Oct 6)

Artur Beterviev vs Callum Johnson (Oct 6)

Jarrell Miller vs Tomasz Adamek (Oct 6)

Naoya Inoue vs Juan Carlos Payano (Oct 7) 

Terence Crawford vs Jose Benavidez Jr (Oct 13)

Zolani Tete vs Mikhail Aloyan (Oct 13) 

DAZN card with Ritson, Buatsi and Allen (Oct 13) 

Billy Joe Saunders vs Demetrius Andrade (Oct 20) 

Daniel Jacobs vs Sergiy Derevyanchenko (Oct 27) 

Kubrat Pulev vs Hughie Fury (Oct 27) 

Vasyl Lomachenko vs Jose Pedraza (Dec 1)

I mean, Christ! Add all that to Porky's list and realise how insane that Sep-Dec run is. And that's not even factoring in MMA if you're also into that. Bonkers.