Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

Johnny Nelson thinks the same. While Quigg was dripping in sweat during the public workouts, there was not a trace of sweat on Frampton. 

http://www.skysports.com/boxing/news/12936/10179952/carl-frampton-vs-scott-quigg-weight-limit-looks-difficult-for-frampton-says-johnny-nelson

At the start of the week, I firmly believed that Frampton was going to win. Now, I'm not so sure. Quigg's camp is oozing confidence.

Edited by jimufctna24

A lot of the press seem to be indicating Frampton's balancing right on the edge of making weight or not.

Off-Topic but outa interest how many of you subscribe to BoxNation? 

Is it worth it? Just a post has resurrected elsewhere and I have to say you look at their schedule, they really do air few of the 'big fights' these days, does it warrent your £12 or whatever each month? From what I know they air a fair number of domestic cards, but then do you watch these that often?

I gave Frampton/Quigg one more chance to sell me the fight so just watched today's press conference.

They argued over who will be in the home dressing room like a couple of children, these 2 couldn't sell water to you if you were on fire.

Edited by TildeGuy~!

• Paid Members

A lot of the press seem to be indicating Frampton's balancing right on the edge of making weight or not.

Off-Topic but outa interest how many of you subscribe to BoxNation?

Is it worth it? Just a post has resurrected elsewhere and I have to say you look at their schedule, they really do air few of the 'big fights' these days, does it warrent your £12 or whatever each month? From what I know they air a fair number of domestic cards, but then do you watch these that often?

Depends. From a live show perspective its hit and miss, some months its worth it, others it can be pretty dry.

If you're likely to sit around and watch the old boxing shown, Bunce's Boxing Hour etc. though its probably worth the cheddar.

Live shows are shown in HD now as well, which is nice :)

Both made weight. Apparently still on-going issues with dressing room thing. Whole attempt at making extra sales for this fight has been pretty weak IMO  :unsure:

All of Sky's video's every single one of them has some form of question relating to the changing room issue, ring not errected, still got gloves meeting, rules meeting. Guranteed load's more drama even if it is pretty lame - http://www.skysports.com/boxing/live-blog/33621/10180476/frampton-quigg-weigh-in-live

Edited by seanz25

• Paid Members

It's all pretty petty but the build up has been good. The whole thing has been brewing for a couple of years, the real animosity seems to be between the teams and the promoters rather than the fighters themselves. Regardless of that stuff though the actual fight is top draw stuff, two legit world champions unifying the belts, boxing needs more fights like this.

I think it was a product of the current boxing scene. For some reason since joe and flloyd the 0 is seen as so important. They both fought cautious, Quigg could have won that i believe if he attacked earlier. What fighters need to realise now is exciting bravery in defeat leads to more opportunity than being victorious in a drab affair. Them first five rounds were an embarrassment. Ppv, 20k fans in attendance and only a handfull of punches thrown. Frampton probably deserved it for quiggs lack of performance in the first half of the fight. If quigg had half the bravery of some of the great British fighters from the past he would have won that.

I hate to bring up past fighters and how good they were as my dad always done that and i thought 'yeh yeh yeh yeh' but Hatton, Joe, Benn, Eubank, Froch, Mcguigan himself all had the balls to seize the moment on the biggest stage and thats why they are welhere they are.

• Paid Members

Whilst i ain't gonna sit here and defend last nights fight, it's a little unfair to hold it up against past classics and say it's a fair reflection of today's boxing scene. There were plenty of poor fights in them era's too, it's just a rose tinted glasses view of it that makes us only remember the good stuff. It all depends on fighters in the ring, sometimes it clicks, sometimes it doesn't, that's sport.

A great example is Cleverly/Bellew II, it stunk. It promised a lot and it failed to live up anyone's expectations. In Cleverly's next fight, he goes to America and fights Andrej Fonfara and has one of the fights of the year and helps break the records for total amount of punches thrown in a light heavyweight fight.

As for the actual fight, it was bitterly disappointing for 6 rounds. I think Quigg summed it up himself in the post fight interview where he said he was simply too comfortbale in there. I scored 5 of the first six rounds for Frampton but he wasn't dominating, he was just working a little bit more and like Quigg said, everything Frampton was throwing was landing on Quigg's arms. When Joe Gallagher told Quigg he was 6 rounds behind after round 7, Quigg genuinely looked shocked. It's a shame Gallagher didn't tell him that after round 4-5 because after that Quigg really turned on the gas and won the majority of the 2nd half of the fight. The final 3 rounds were tremendous, it's just a shame it didn't start out the same way.

Props to Quigg post-fight though, took the loss like a trooper. I can't imagine Frampton and his team would hae reacted the same way.

I had Frampton winning the first 6 rounds. Quigg and Gallagher got their tactics wrong, and it cost them the fight. Gallagher thought that the opening 4 rounds were even, but it's hard to see how Quigg won any of those rounds. He barely did anything. Frampton was always a bit busier.

Quigg got the better of the second half, but I still had Frampton winning by 2 or 3 points.

• Paid Members

yeh i don't think you could really make an argument for Quigg actually winning the fight, he certainly proved though that if he'd gotten more aggressive sooner he had the beating of Frampton. In that way the fight resembled in many the ways the BJ Saunders/Eubank JR. fight.

Was a bit of a harsh drunken assesment of the fight lastnight, especially after learning Quigg had his jaw broke. As fighters they are a credit to boxing and behave accordingly, however i still think that they will never get a platform like that to perform again and both of them didnt really. I don't agree with some of the commentators saying that this is a platform to superstardom. Frampton will not fight Rigo. I imagine Sant Cruz next, i'd pick Frampton to win that.