Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

strange watching the Fonfara/Cleverly promotional stuff from an American point of view. They were advertising the show on a recent Bellator show and there was no mention of Cleverly, it was 'Fonfara returns, Friday 16th!!!'. Just makes you realise how irrelevant and how little people thought of Cleverly's title reign. Also that the Americans are giving him little chance of winning on Friday.

Cleverly isn't known outside of his Welsh village, let alone in America.

On the undercard of the Golovkin/Lemieux fight. You've got the new no.1 p4p king, Roman Gonzalez vs. the former multi-weight world champ, Brian Viloria. That should be a good tear-up. I can see both Golovkin & Gonzalez wearing their opponents down and breaking them up.

The ref in the Kono/Kameda fight was an irritant who ruined the fight. He couldn't help himself getting involved when there was no reason to. He even stopped the fight in the 7th to have a chat with someone ringside, then came back and told them the next foul and you're both DQ'ed. Both Japanese fighters looked at him confused, not a clue what he was saying.

Fonfara/Cleverly was really good for entertainment value. Cleverly seemed to play into Fonfara's hands though, staying in the pocked all the time. It's more boring if he stays on the outside and jabs but he would have had more chance of winning that way. Cleverly isn't a big puncher & Fonfara was grinding him down. The nose broken in the 7th, ear drum perforated later in the fight. Its unneeded damage taken, trying to impress the US audience with excitement. I think it would also help Cleverly if he moved out of his hometown & got himself a credible trainer. He's stuck in a comfortable routine which isn't a winning formula.

• Paid Members

never got around to mentioning the GGG/Lemieux fight. Just a masterful display of how to shut a dangerous fighter down from the opening bell. GGG's jab destroyed any kind of gameplan might have had, GGG is the man.

Cleverly/Fonfara was some scrap. It was close but i think the right man won, and despite being a defeat for Cleverly he earned maximum credit and gained back some respect in my eyes. Ever since the Kovalev fight it's been a strange road, but Friday i think he probably silenced every doubter.

I like Cleverly and he had clearly injured himself before or during the second Bellew fight. His run before he became champ was actually quite good , he did it the right way (commonwealth, british, european) IMO and he was highly touted, it's just a shame Frank Warren had to milk him when he got near  the top. Apparently it was Cleverly who wanted the Kovalev fight, which took balls and was testament to his self belief even if it did prove to be a naieve move.

Nathan of 5 years ago beats this Fonfara in my mind.The fact that he's gotten so far without a proper trainer most of the time just shows what a natural talent he is. At only 28 I think he's still got another world title in him, whereas I cant say the same for Bellew.

• Paid Members

I accidentally saw the GGG vs Lemieux result the other day so only just got around to actually watching the fight. Love Golovkin. He really does tick every box as a fighter for me. All he's missing is those big name fights to break through as a legit star and he's knocking on the door of that now. He can't be denied the huge fights much longer. Golovkin vs the Canelo/Cotto winner just makes too much sense not to happen. One of them has to happen in 2016 and we can't lose either way. Both would be fantastic.

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members

Jesus, have the Eubanks got a death wish or something? It's admirable that he's up for that fight, in a sport where a lot of upcoming prospects would avoid a fight like that. But still, it wasn't long ago that he lost to Billy Joe Saunders, he'd get fucking slaughtered by Golovkin.