Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

new trailer for another documentary about Gerald McClellan...

it's directed by Bobby Razak, the guy who makes loads of MMA documentaries, it's available digitally from next week.

• Paid Members

Looks good. I always hear about Bobby Razak doing documentaries on fighters but I never really see his stuff about to watch. I've seen a few trailers but never seem to come across the finished thing.

Cotto vs Geale tomorrow night. Completely forgot it was this weekend.

Cotto was marvellous, lovely zip around the ring, left hooks to the head and body of Geale, he felt them from the opening bell. The bloke had no chance when Cotto was that aggressive and precise with his punching. An Alvarez fight needs to be at 154lbs. Cotto weighed in at 153lbs for this fight, not even making Light Middleweight. He needs to Floyd him and go for a lower weight, so Canelo will have to work harder on his conditioning. There was a reporter who went into Canelo's camp and said he calls the shots and does what he likes. That's probably why his conditioning looked crap and was blown up after 3 rounds with Kirkland.

Robert Guerrero took on Aaron Martinez in a PBC afternoon show. It was a complete slugfest with little accuracy and lots of up close brawling and wild swinging. It was only 3 months ago Guerrero got his arse handed to him by Keith Thurman on the PBC debut show and now he's back in there with a slugger. Martinez had lots of success pinning Guerrero up against the ropes and swinging. At the end of round 4, Martinez connected with a bunch of shots, Guerrero went limp and just flopped to the floor. If he had stayed upright, the fight would have been stopped because he couldn't defend himself. Guerrero tried to box Martinez and out-jab him and had success with that but didn't dominate the rounds. Rounds 9 & 10 both went all out to get the win and swung for the fences. The judges had it, 94-95, 95-94, 97-92 to Guerrero. It was a close fight and the crowd booed the decision.

• Paid Members

Im gutted i missed the Guerrero fight, sounded like a bit of an easy win for The Ghost on paper, was wrong about that one :(

Cotto looked great again though. Feel a bit sorry for Geale, that guys getting some thankless task set out for him.

Im gutted i missed the Guerrero fight, sounded like a bit of an easy win for The Ghost on paper, was wrong about that one :(

There's a Youtube link to the fight in my above post. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B04G9PUtb1Y

It should be a good weekend of boxing. Friday night, Spike have Erislandy Lara vs. Delvin Rodriguez for Lara's world title. Artur Beterbiev & Artur Szpilka are both on the undercard.

Saturday has Deontay Wilder vs. Eric Molina on Showtime. HBO/Boxnation has two big punchers in Nicholas Walters vs. Miguel Marriaga going at it. Undercard has Puerto Rican sensation Felix Verdejo in action. Channel 5 are showing Lee Haskins vs. Ryosuke Iwasa for an interim IBF bantamweight world title.

Everyone seems to be slating Wilder today after one bad performance. Yeah he got rocked by a punch the captain of the Titanic probably saw coming, but he kept going and knocked Molina down three times before stopping him. His technique was lacking and sought windmilling for most of the fight to try & get a knockout for the home fans.

As for David Price having a chance against Wilder, he has no jaw or heart. Tyson Fury has no jaw or boxing fundamentals, winner will be first to land a big shot. Untested Joshua may be ready in 5 - 10 fights time but Povetkin will probably get there first.