Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

Call me that again and I'll sue you. Allegedly.

Seriously, Buglioni vs Markham was a cracking fight. Wasn't expecting much from the Warren bill and it wasn't much cop, but if you can find that fight it's worth a watch.

I'm out of the loop - is Wladimir Klitschko vs Tyson Fury happening? And if so, when's it likely/rumoured for?

• Paid Members

Really? I actually thought that would be a sticking point in the negotiations with Warren/Fury pushing for a UK venue and Klitschko wanting it in Germany. Maybe Wlad fancies this one doing a massive crowd in Wembley or something. I definitely think it would as well.

Your best mate wrote about it a few days ago. London and Manchester are both mentioned - http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/othersports/boxing/11593445/Wladimir-Klitschko-determined-to-fight-Tyson-Fury-in-the-UK-and-shut-the-Briton-up-on-his-home-turf.html

It could be grandstanding. One of those claims made to get attention. I see it happening in the States, given Wlad's new deal with HBO. Although, I agree, it would draw a massive crowd in the UK. 

Eddie Hearn has to be one of the biggest pricks in boxing. He loves matching his fighters against previously defeated fighters and then when they beat them saying......it took x fighter 7 rounds to get him out, my fighter done it in less. It means fuck all.

Now his has callum smith fighting rebrasse next.., i can already hear him in june saying " it took GG 12 rounds to beat him"

When Aj stops johnson,...."look hes been 12 rounds with fury, aj stopped him in four"

Im glad mcguigan and khans old man have come out saying hes a disrespectfull cunt by trying bully them into fights with frampton and quigg. Him and sky need to put their hand in their pocket to get the big fights. That card lastnight was the worst ive seen in years and years of boxing viewing.

Burns, Mcdonnell and Canelo were all a joy to watch.

• Paid Members

Eddie Hearn has to be one of the biggest pricks in boxing. He loves matching his fighters against previously defeated fighters and then when they beat them saying......it took x fighter 7 rounds to get him out, my fighter done it in less. It means fuck all.

to be fair, that's just standard promotional stuff. It makes sense to put his fighters in with guys people are familiar with.

I like Hearn, i always think he comes off honestly in interviews (especially his IFL sitdown interviews), he's ackowledged that the strength of recent cards have been poor, but he says it's down to Matchroom struggling to match the schedule Sky demands.

that's the first part of the newest Eddie Hearn sit-down, good watch.

• Paid Members

My missus phoned Sky to bollock them over something and she's managed to squeeze two months free Sky Sports out of them. I think she's a keeper.

Anyone know what boxing they've got lined up in the next few weeks or whatever? Anything good coming up?

Degale v Dirrell is on next Saturday.

Next month you have Smith v Ward, Quiqq v Martinez and i think theres a card from Liverpool featuring Price, Callum Smith v Rebrasse and Tony Bellew v TBA. Thats up until end of June.

The big card next week is PPV. But youl get all the build up through the week which will probaly entice you into buying it!

Edited by Porkchopcash

So DeGale vs Dirrell is PPV? Might have to get my brother to go halves, it's a good fight but I don't fancy paying £20 for it.

Nope, it's free on SKY Sports.

It's the card featuring Brook vs Gavin/ Joshua vs Johnson/Selby and Mitchell's title shots, that is on Box Office. That comes the week after.

DeGale vs Dirrell is on Sky Sports 1, bill starting from 8pm our time so you don't have to worry about splashing out for it on PPV. It should be good, such a hard fight to call though.

Oh yeah, in early hours of Sunday morning the baddest man of the planet GGG is back in action defending his WBA middleweight title against Willie Munroe Jnr on BoxNation. Expect the usual fireworks from the main man.

Edited by Gooner

• Paid Members

Oh right thanks.

Yeah I'll definitely be watching GGG. He's the man in boxing at the moment for me. Such an exciting fighter to watch and likeable with it. He's got the type of style where even as one-sided as his fights are, they're still really entertaining. His fight with Martin Murray for example, was about as good as a one-way traffic fight gets.

I was reading something the other day about how all Golovkin's missing now is that really big name fight to sink his teeth into. And I guess it's really because no-one really fancies fighting him if they don't have to. He could do with a Cotto or someone to fight that will push him to that next level of stardom really. He deserves to be on the biggest stages. I read that Canelo has said he'd be open to fighting Golovkin though so hopefully that can be worked out in the not too distant future. Golovkin vs Canelo might just be THE fight I want to see most in boxing right now, now we've had Mayweather vs Pacquiao. And the great thing is, Canelo vs GGG is the type of fight that, on paper at least, sounds like it can't possibly be a letdown.

GGG is in that weird position that we sometimes see boxers in, where no big names really wants to fight him because he's not a big name, but he has to fight a big name to make that breakthrough. Eventually K2 are going to have to offer enough money to someone to fight him, likely a name that's on the slide slightly, looking for one last payday.

I'm not sure Cotto would really want that fight at this stage in his career. His win over Martinez has kicked his career into first gear again after he'd looked a bit shot against Trout and Mayweather. if he beats Geale then I'd imagine he'll fancy a real money fight against a Canelo Alvarez. Imagine that fight in New York or Mexico? 

• Paid Members

Yeah, if Cotto beats Geale I think the Cotto vs Canelo fight is happening isn't it? Sure that's the plan.

I wouldn't say Cotto looked shot against Mayweather. There was no doubt Mayweather won the fight but I thought Cotto did better than anyone expected. It was definitely one of Floyd's better fights and that was because Cotto was able to push him into more of a fight. It was probably the most competitive fight Floyd had had since the De La Hoya fight IMO. Until the first Maidana fight of course.

He didn't look good against Trout though yeah.